Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 PM

83 posts, read 850,409 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me what areas of Denver to stay away from please?

Also, what is the Weather like in Denver? I might be moving in 6 months or so there from CA and I know the weather is way differnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
Can you tell me what areas of Denver to stay away from please?

Also, what is the Weather like in Denver? I might be moving in 6 months or so there from CA and I know the weather is way differnt.
Can you tell us where you're from? I think bad areas will be relative to where you live now. I lived in Metro Detroit. Compared to Detroit, Denver is a utopian paradise. See what I'm saying?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post

Also, what is the Weather like in Denver?
hot
warm
cold
freezing
rain
snow
hail
wind
tornadoes
fog

did I miss anything?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
hot
warm
cold
freezing
rain
snow
hail
wind
tornadoes
fog

did I miss anything?
Hot and warm are what I remember the most. Summers were miserable without A/C. Not a lot of rain in Denver, and any snow that falls melts quickly since it can be 70 degrees in the middle of winter sometimes. Tornadoes are more relegated to the plains than to Denver. The air is also very dry. I always get a bloody nose when I go back there.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Hot and warm are what I remember the most. Summers were miserable without A/C. Not a lot of rain in Denver, and any snow that falls melts quickly since it can be 70 degrees in the middle of winter sometimes. Tornadoes are more relegated to the plains than to Denver. The air is also very dry. I always get a bloody nose when I go back there.
You must be from Alaska, Seattle, northern Maine, or North Dakota.

Denver is not a hot climate. You can get snow any time from September through May. Sometimes, the length of the snow season can be annoying. However, you are correct that you can get some very, very nice days in the winter. In the summer time, a heat index over 90 is quite rare. There are not all that many places in the lower 48 where you can say that. Summers in Denver are not hot.

Sometimes, the snow does stick around a bit, especially if it falls in the December - February period, or is excessive. March 18-19, 2003, they got over 3 feet of snow in Denver and that stuck around for almost a month. December 20th or so, 2006 they got 20 inches and that stuck around for over a month.

Although you are correct that the air is dry.

Overall, I'd say that Denver has one of the best climates in the world, if you like 4 seasons, and don't mind snow (although there are many places in America that get significantly more snow on average than Denver, because Denver is arid during the snow season).

Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You must be from Alaska, Seattle, northern Maine, or North Dakota.

Denver is not a hot climate. You can get snow any time from September through May. Sometimes, the length of the snow season can be annoying. However, you are correct that you can get some very, very nice days in the winter. In the summer time, a heat index over 90 is quite rare. There are not all that many places in the lower 48 where you can say that. Summers in Denver are not hot.

Sometimes, the snow does stick around a bit, especially if it falls in the December - February period, or is excessive. March 18-19, 2003, they got over 3 feet of snow in Denver and that stuck around for almost a month. December 20th or so, 2006 they got 20 inches and that stuck around for over a month.

Although you are correct that the air is dry.

Overall, I'd say that Denver has one of the best climates in the world, if you like 4 seasons, and don't mind snow (although there are many places in America that get significantly more snow on average than Denver, because Denver is arid during the snow season).
Ah ... I looked up at your info ... you are from the "Puget Sound". That explains why you think Denver is hot. Although, in the Seattle area you can get much higher heat indecies than Denver during those rare hot spells you get.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Can you tell us where you're from? I think bad areas will be relative to where you live now. I lived in Metro Detroit. Compared to Detroit, Denver is a utopian paradise. See what I'm saying?
Yeah ... depends on whether the OP has any tolerance for crime whether there are any parts of it that he ought to avoid. Denver has some rough areas that I'd avoid, but I'm a coward. Crime can happen anywhere, but in particular it can happen anywhere in a city as large as Denver.

Denver's violent crime rate is pretty low compared to similarly sized cities.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM

366 posts, read 1,374,302 times
100+ degrees isnt hot? Thats news to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
100+ degrees isnt hot? Thats news to me.
How often is it 100 ? And what is the heat index on those days ?

A hot day in Seattle is worse than a hot day in Denver. A hot day in LA is worse than a hot day in Denver. A hot day in Boston is worse than a hot day in Denver. Any summer day in Dallas/Atlanta/Charlotte/Memphis/OKC/Phoenix/KC/StL/Chicago is worse than a hot day in Denver.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Ah ... I looked up at your info ... you are from the "Puget Sound". That explains why you think Denver is hot. Although, in the Seattle area you can get much higher heat indecies than Denver during those rare hot spells you get.
Actually I grew up in Denver and only moved to the Puget Sound area after I graduated college. I'm just not a heat person I guess. I remember every summer there would be a span where I woke up sweating because it was so hot in the mornings. During one summer I worked a night job and sleeping during the day was nearly impossible because of the heat.

We do get hot spells here and there, but they never last more than a few days. I like summers here way better than in Denver. I'm not a big fan of the heat. I can't even imagine enduring a full summer with high heat AND humidity like many parts of the country. I totally agree that a 100 degree day in Denver is not as bad as the midwest, but it's still pretty miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver