Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a relocation from Seattle area (PNW) to either Denver or Fort Collins within the next year. Our reasons are many, but one of the chief factors is that we are in grave need of more sunshine. We've been here 30+ years and it's time for a change of scenery. I lived in Northern Colorado in my 20s and loved the climate, terrain, people, everything - but I am wondering how we will adjust now that we're older:

How have you adjusted to the CO dryness, colder winters and snow vs rain, humidity and somewhat milder temps in the Northwest?

In particular, are there any folks 60+ who have made the move from the PNW recently and, if so, do you find any difficulty with snow and ice? We both grew up with snow (Midwest), but Seattle doesn't get very much, so we're kinda out of practice.

I am happy to hear how anyone (young or old) feels about the pluses and minuses of these very different climates and how this affected their relocation process.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Wife and I grew up in "snowbelt" States (Mich & Ind), but spent numerous years in So Calif before we met and married. I had drove thru Denver and spent a few days in the Springs before I met her. Just before we met, she had plans on moving out of So Calif and we discussed moving to Denver metro. We both missed the 4-seasons, including t-storms and snow. When we moved, we were in our early 50's. For the following 3 yrs, we were "ok" with the winters, but at the end of that 3rd year, I had a hip replacement done and the cold weather affected it at times. A year later, I fell in snow/ice in our driveway that resulted in rotator cuff surgery and that's when we decided to call it quits for living there. Sold our house, quit our jobs and moved to the southern part of the East Coast.

Sometimes we miss the "good old Front Range", but we have plenty of pictures and video to remind us of the good times as well as the snowstorms/blizzards we went thru.

BTW, we are now in our early-to-mid 60's, living in northeast Florida and, OF COURSE no winter parka, snowshovel or snowblower needed here........and that is just fine with us!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Moving from Seattle to Denver for more sunshine is like moving from Antactica to Alasksa for "less cold".

Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM

181 posts, read 582,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Moving from Seattle to Denver for more sunshine is like moving from Antactica to Alasksa for "less cold".
The NOAA says that Denver is about 50% sunnier than Seattle.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I grew up in "snowbelt" States (Mich & Ind), but spent numerous years in So Calif before we met and married. I had drove thru Denver and spent a few days in the Springs before I met her. Just before we met, she had plans on moving out of So Calif and we discussed moving to Denver metro. We both missed the 4-seasons, including t-storms and snow. When we moved, we were in our early 50's. For the following 3 yrs, we were "ok" with the winters, but at the end of that 3rd year, I had a hip replacement done and the cold weather affected it at times. A year later, I fell in snow/ice in our driveway that resulted in rotator cuff surgery and that's when we decided to call it quits for living there. Sold our house, quit our jobs and moved to the southern part of the East Coast.

Sometimes we miss the "good old Front Range", but we have plenty of pictures and video to remind us of the good times as well as the snowstorms/blizzards we went thru.

BTW, we are now in our early-to-mid 60's, living in northeast Florida and, OF COURSE no winter parka, snowshovel or snowblower needed here........and that is just fine with us!
Thanks for your honest reply.

Just wondering, how do you handle the late spring/summer heat in Florida? Growing up in the Midwest, that was a frequent vacation destination for my family. We also had relatives living in SE FL. We typically visited the area in winter or early spring, but after May, we found the heat brutal. Also heard there that the hurricane/homeowner's insurance is incredibly high down there.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzimmerman View Post
The NOAA says that Denver is about 50% sunnier than Seattle.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...pctposrank.txt

That is so true! According to most 'local' experts, Seattle gets about 139 days of true sunshine per year. Colorado gets roughly 270-300, depending on whether you include some of those partly cloudy days. Additionally, the Seattle climate rarely warms up for very long - sometimes our summers last less than 2 months. CO does get cold, but the temps go up and down throughout the seasons.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
having lived in Ft Col area for 25+yrs and PNW (We_tside) for 25+ yrs, I don't think you will find CO too cold, except for the occasional 'really cold' spells. (below zero and windy). That is about the same frequency as the occasional We_tside 'silver thaws' (freezing rain). Even at these extremes the low humidity and access to sun in CO makes it at least, if not more endurable. I still frequent CO & WY many times / yr to 'Warm-up' , even in the winter. (like for Valentines Day in Loveland). I can sport 'shirt sleeves' while driving around running errands in CO winter, where PNW would reveal my perpetual wearing of Poly-prop long johns.

BTW, your 2 choices (DEN & FtC) will make you spend plenty of time in 'the car'. There are lots of more favorable places close to each, which are much less crowded. I would choose those Metro areas, ONLY if I had a specific reason (job / or need for healthcare specialties ONLY available in Metro Area). For retirement locations with amenities, consider smaller college towns within 30 minutes of metro. (tougher in DEN due to urban sprawl, but plenty of nice smaller cities within 1 hr). It IS possible to find a nice 'walkable' enclave where you won't need to be sitting in a car every time you need to GO somewhere. (groc, drugs, hardware, coffee). And yes, walking is pleasant yr round in CO with a few exceptions. Light snows are often gone by noon. I rode my bicycle to work all but 3 days the last yr I was in CO. I have seldom rode it to work 3 days / yr in the PNW. (very narrow and dark country roads)

Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 AM

We live just south of Jacksonville and don't get the heat/humidity like Orlando and south of there get. We just started our 4th year of living here. The first spring/summer was a "get use to" period. Were in shorts a lot and used the A/C at times, but also opened up windows/door on days it wasn't so hot. We also have a power boat, so the St John's River and Intercoastal water is nice to be on. Some folks get use to it, some don't and either complain (like some people in Denver metro do when it snows too much or gets down towards zero or below) or move. We've got use to the heat/humidity now and would rather have that than the cold days/nights that can happen here this time of year. As far as hurricanes go, up here in the northeast, we don't really even worry about them! We've seen some mighty nice downpours of rain and lightning bolts/crashing thunder, but that don't even worry us.

For the time that we lived both in Englewood and Parker, it was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Thanks for your honest reply.

Just wondering, how do you handle the late spring/summer heat in Florida? Growing up in the Midwest, that was a frequent vacation destination for my family. We also had relatives living in SE FL. We typically visited the area in winter or early spring, but after May, we found the heat brutal. Also heard there that the hurricane/homeowner's insurance is incredibly high down there.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
having lived in Ft Col area for 25+yrs and PNW (We_tside) for 25+ yrs, I don't think you will find CO too cold, except for the occasional 'really cold' spells. (below zero and windy). That is about the same frequency as the occasional We_tside 'silver thaws' (freezing rain). Even at these extremes the low humidity and access to sun in CO makes it at least, if not more endurable. I still frequent CO & WY many times / yr to 'Warm-up' , even in the winter. (like for Valentines Day in Loveland). I can sport 'shirt sleeves' while driving around running errands in CO winter, where PNW would reveal my perpetual wearing of Poly-prop long johns.

BTW, your 2 choices (DEN & FtC) will make you spend plenty of time in 'the car'. There are lots of more favorable places close to each, which are much less crowded. I would choose those Metro areas, ONLY if I had a specific reason (job / or need for healthcare specialties ONLY available in Metro Area). For retirement locations with amenities, consider smaller college towns within 30 minutes of metro. (tougher in DEN due to urban sprawl, but plenty of nice smaller cities within 1 hr). It IS possible to find a nice 'walkable' enclave where you won't need to be sitting in a car every time you need to GO somewhere. (groc, drugs, hardware, coffee). And yes, walking is pleasant yr round in CO with a few exceptions. Light snows are often gone by noon. I rode my bicycle to work all but 3 days the last yr I was in CO. I have seldom rode it to work 3 days / yr in the PNW. (very narrow and dark country roads)
Your perspective is really helpful! I think unless you've lived in a wet, dark climate for a considerable period of time, you have no idea how much we crave, sunnier, dry weather. We also do not have the heat tolerance or desire to live in an all-year sunbelt. We still prefer seasons (though I know CO is a bit unpredictable).

As far as location, we are leaning more towards the Loveland/FC area rather than Denver, and driving will be a breeze compared to where we live now (20 minutes from Seattle across the infamous 520 bridge).

Just wondering, are you retired in PNW? If not, will you stay or relocate?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM

One thing to really remember, LaylaM.........some folks, young or old/older can handle the Front Range/Denver metro winters better than others. I've visited this forum when a snowstorm (or even blizzard) was going on, or just over, and read about people complaining about the snow and others that want to yell out how happy they are that there is snow.

While living there, I worked in Senior Healthcare and seen a lot of Seniors that would cancel their doctors appointments because they didn't want to go out into the cold/snow. Snowing can be a beautiful sight while viewing from inside a nice warm home, until a person has to drive in a "whiteout" condition or shovel their driveway out of inches-to-feet of snow. The younger generation can handle this much better than us older folks can!
And, we seen both when we lived there......inches and feet of snow.
All I can say is "chose your moving destination well" because you don't want to be in the "complaining" section when the white stuff starts flying and ice starts forming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver