Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM
EVT EVT started this thread

25 posts, read 85,515 times

Advertisements

Me and my significant other are both in our mid-20s and considering a Denver relocation. It seems a fairly sizable town so I assume there are things for us to do, and we do love the outdoors so there is that. Red Rocks is just a short hike south from the looks of it, so that seems like a good place to catch the occasional concert.

We are both medical professionals as well. One of us would be looking for full-time work in a hospital setting while the other does consulting work...how are the hospitals in Denver? Are they well thought of by the population? Are there any which people tend to speak poorly of more than others?

Anything in particular we should know for considering the move? Denver is just one of many options we are considering but it ranks fairly highly on my list personally, but for no particular reason except the outdoors opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Another question, how is traffic enforcement in the mountain roads around Denver?

I'm a sports car enthusiast and spirited weekend drives is one of my favorite pastimes, but here in the southeast it is all but impossible to find a good road for driving because of the extremely aggressive and hawk-eyed policemen (and women). They don't deter much in the way of violent crime or theft, but they will nail you everytime you go 6-7 miles over the speed limit it seems (one of the few sources of revenue in this community for them).

Just curious how strictly the roads are policed.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Are Denver hospitals any good? Let's see:

Denver Health Medical Center: #1 in the nation for trauma survival rate.
National Jewish Hospital: #1 pulmonology hospital in the US.
Swedish Medical Center: AHA Gold Plus Award - Stroke
Craig Hospital: top 10 rehab hospital in the US
St Anthony Hospital: created the first helicopter ambulance system in the US.
Children's Hospital: one of the top 10 pediatric hospitals in the nation.
University of Colorado Medical Center: top overall hospital in Denver.

There are others, but these are some of the best.

The overall quality of hospitals in Denver is excellent.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
The hawk-eyed police here will ticket if you go 10 miles over the speed limit or if you are driving agressively or if you speed in a school zone or if you drive a little red sports car (just kidding on the last one). Also, mountain roads are not the place to see how fast you can get your car moving.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Yes. In fact, a much better place for young couples than for young singles (if you're a dude, at least).

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Drive too fast in the Rockies and SPIRITED is what you become!
Often the roads have soft shoulders, loose rock, falling rock, wildlife, no guardrails and big drops with few trees to keep you from freefall!

Oh, did I mention blind narrow curves with bicyclists, sightseers and RV's sharing the road at 15 MPH?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Telling people you're hoping to move to their area so that you can speed on the roads is generally not the best way to endear yourself to the folks on the chat boards.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Just looking to get some feedback and opinions about the area and what I can expect.

Many stretches of road around the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains and other parts of the Appalachians are popular car/motorcycle enthusiast destinations because of their minimal traffic and lenient policing. But then those roads aren't typically shared with bicyclists or pedestrians, either. If that isn't the case around Denver then that is good information to have. As an aside, the people in the car clubs I frequent are also very safe drivers. I've never heard of any of my fellow drivers getting into accidents during recreational drives.

I'm sorry if the idea offends anyone.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default There are not that many roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
Just looking to get some feedback and opinions about the area and what I can expect.
Colorado does not have that many roads.
I know that sounds silly, but it is true.
1. On the eastern plains, a lot of the "roads" are dirt. And, they are straight. Remember, Colorado is a square state.
2. The mountains are rugged so there are fewer roads.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Default roads

Making roads in the eastern "mtns" requires a bulldozer...in the Rockies you need Dynamite...and lots of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver