Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times

Advertisements

Are there any Native Americans still living in Denver anywhere? I have contacted the tribal council for the Arapaho Indians and they were in Oklahoma. 5 hour drive and they didn't seem to know of any locally here in Denver.

Does anyone here know of where I could contact one of the elders in the Denver area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM

50 posts, read 119,130 times
I saw some sort of Native American event going on up at The Fort in Morrison a while back. There is also a man who walks around the dining room playing Native American tunes on his flute.
The Fort Famous fine dining restaurant located in Morrison, Colorado, Southwest Denver
Welcome to the Tesoro Cultural Center

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Data are your friends

American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2011 (a) 1.6%
Colorado QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Denver Indian Center

This is a different address from where I remember them being before. They are a diverse group banded together. A few members once visited my Denver preschool and did a presentation.

There are also the Southern Utes but they are way southwest.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Denver Indian Center

This is a different address from where I remember them being before. They are a diverse group banded together. A few members once visited my Denver preschool and did a presentation.

The Denver Indian Center is exactly where I remember it to be. I was going to be up in the area where this is and I was going to drive by to see if it was still on Morrison Rd.

If you are new to Denver, The old Morrison Road ran in a mostly straight line between Colfax Ave and the town Morrison in South Jefferson County. The road exists only in two sections now. The first section runs diagonally from near the intersection of Alameda Ave and Knox Ct. to Sheridan Blvd and Mississippi Ave. This is where the Denver Indian Center is located. The second section runs diagonally from Wadworth Blvd, halfway between Jewell and Yale, to the town of Morrison. This section is designated as Colorado State Highway 8.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Denver Indian Center

Thanks, I'll check it out on Tuesday. Moses Starr called me the other day, He read about my story from Rosemary Stephens who is the editor for the Cheyenne/Arapaho tribune. He said he is 5 hours away and would drive up but he is getting old but might consider the drive with some of his children if I can't find anyone locally. He did mention an Indian museum, but I wonder if this is the place he was referring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver