Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

I have never been to downtown Denver and love the outdoors and skiing, but I also cycle everywhere. Does Denver have good cycling lanes or bike paths? Can you commute around the city, or is it horribly dangerous? Is cycling embraced out there, or frowned upon?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 AM

352 posts, read 713,527 times
I think all roadies have a death wish. I ride a mountain bike and it's just me and the dirt. Mixing in automobiles with every manner of driver behind the wheel, I'd say it's a crapshoot no matter where you road ride here in the Denver area. Roadies seem to love it, though, so what seems insane to me might seem just great to you.

To answer your question, I don't think everyone is out to kill road riders but it happens anyway, even if the driver didn't "mean it".

Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have never been to downtown Denver and love the outdoors and skiing, but I also cycle everywhere. Does Denver have good cycling lanes or bike paths? Can you commute around the city, or is it horribly dangerous? Is cycling embraced out there, or frowned upon?

Thanks.
Yes, there are bike paths.
Yes, you can commute around the city. No, it is not horribly dangerous.
Cycling is very much celebrated out here.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Cycling is popular here. Try to find a copy of the Denver Bicycle Map. There are quite a few posted routes around town. Downtown Denver itself has designated bike lanes on some of the streets.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
Denver has a great network of bike paths. The cherry creek path is a great way to ride through the middle of downtown. However, when it comes to on-street riding cyclists usually have to fend for themselves. If you are a confident urban rider though you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
I don't have a problem with Cyclists, until they act as though they don't have to obey traffic laws just because they're on a bike. That really irritates me. I've seen them blow through red lights, stop signs, etc.

Just follow the laws and we'll be cool. Oh, and try to ride single file and not take up a whole lane, if you're riding in a group.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 PM

232 posts, read 805,381 times
One thing is for sure, if you get hit by a car (while riding, walking, or whatever), the driver will leave the scene and not stop.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I do not see why you asked just about pickups and suvs; a Smart car will hit and kill you all the same, but worrying about getting hit was not the point of your post.

I can think of the last few incidents involving bicycles and cars where I live, and not a single car involved was an suv or a pickup.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM

352 posts, read 713,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I don't have a problem with Cyclists, until they act as though they don't have to obey traffic laws just because they're on a bike. That really irritates me. I've seen them blow through red lights, stop signs, etc.

Just follow the laws and we'll be cool. Oh, and try to ride single file and not take up a whole lane, if you're riding in a group.
That's the problem with most drivers: when a cyclist disobeys the laws (and it seems they all do) the motorist gets really irritated. Big mistake.

Why get irritated? It is what it is. There's nothing you can do about that cyclist or the next one who blows through a stop sign or red light. It "irritates" too, me but not really and only for the split second I witness the infraction. It does me no good to get angry at them but the average motorist seems to want to get all righteous about their anger. Some take it the next step and want to "get back" at the offender. Don't the motorists have something better to occupy their minds than anger or revenge?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it is about the same as Pittsburgh as long as you are around the city. Certain suburbs are about impossible. People tolerate bikes okay.

Oh, I mentioned SUV's and Pickups because the over 25 years of cycling, I know if I see a testosterone vehicle behind me like an H2, or big shiny pickup, I know to be VERY careful because they like to muscle up to show me who is boss. I don't think I have ever had a problem with a Prius or Smart car. Just profiling, which everyone does to protect themselves. I am fully aware I am never "boss" on a bike. Just trying to get to work without being hit.

Oh and as far as bike riders being hit and the driver fleeing. That is the norm here as well. They never stop.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver