Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,057 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Jake,

Today i was pulled over for a traffic infraction. The situation was when i was switching lane i almost hit a cop car behind and was pulled over. I thought for sure there was no cars when switching lane but i guess not. Unfortunately I still have my drivers-permit and my mom was with me. I have been charge with Traffic Infraction class A with 3 points deduction. Now to the public on the inter web should i go to court and fight for it or plead guilty. I am also asking if how will this change my driver license and insurance rate when i buy it? And if i do fight and lose the case do you think the judge will give me a harsher punishment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Welcome to [almost] adulthood

1. Pay it.
2. It affects you in that you, at your age and with a learner's permit, lose your license at the 6 point limit instead of your mom's 12 points.
3. As a young male, your insurance will cost an arm and part of a leg anyway. This may or may not cost the rest of your leg.
4. Inexperienced drivers make lots of mistakes. I did. Be happy that you did not:
a. smack up any cars
b. injure anyone

Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,057 times
If i lose 3 points in my permit would it transfer into my license when i get it

Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLuck1212 View Post
If i lose 3 points in my permit would it transfer into my license when i get it
I'd just plan to pay it. Dress nice when you go and be polite. You will get along fine.

These are the point accumulations for suspension.
Under the Age of 18 - 6 points in 12 consecutive months, 7 points prior to turning 18.
I couldn't find anything specifically regarding permit points transferring to DL. But it seems its all based on points within a specific period of time. Points remain on your record for seven years. So maybe it would transfer over. I don't know if its possible as you have a permit but perhaps you could take some type of defensive driving course. That will reduce the points in regular licensed drivers. You might look in the drivers book or ask when you go to court regarding the permit points question. Good Luck, every driver was new once, so don't feel bad about it. Consider it a lesson well learned.

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Point Suspension

Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
You almost hit a cop car. I don't think anyone is going to believe you were paying attention.

Look, driving takes a while to get good at. In the beginning everyone makes mistakes. Work on paying more attention when you drive. Check your blind spot, signal, drive slower. If you really want to save your money and your driving license, that's a lot more realistic way to do it than trying to beat tickets after you get pulled over.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 02-19-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
My dad taught me this when I was 15. Amazing how many people still have a blind spot.

Avoiding the Blind Spot | Car Talk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver