Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My son is in 4th grade and just drowning in his school in South Denver CCDS. They are very test-centered and we just have to get out. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about schools that focus on alternative learning styles, focus more on authentic learning and less on test knowledge? We have tried to get into RMSEL, but alas, didn't get a spot... AGAIN. Specifically, NO EVERYDAY MATH!

I would really appreciate any guidance! I am new to the area and just don't know where to begin, but I am willing to travel to get him where he needs to be!

Distressed mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM

37 posts, read 62,458 times
Waldorf

Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
You could try the Denver Green School. They don't use Everyday Math.
Denver Green School | About Us

A new expeditionary school is opening downtown this fall so it may be easy to get into, since it's brand new.
https://www.facebook.com/The.DDES.Difference

Jefferson County Open School might be a long drve but if you're willing to travel, maybe it would be worth checking out.
Jefferson County Open School

Kunsmiller Creative Academy:Kunsmiller Creative Arts Academy | Denver Public Schools

Everyday Math is very common around here, I'm not sure that you can avoid it at most public schools but there are some, like the Green School, that don't use it.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
Unfortunately, teaching to the tests has become a way of life. It is likely to become more ingrained into the school culture as a result of SB-191, which requires teachers to be evaluated every year with 50% of the evaluation being tied to students' standardized test scores. In other words, teachers' jobs will depend heavily on student performance on standardized tests.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
EM seems to be the standard in the Denver area. It was one of the issues I brought to districts when I did school visits about 5 years ago. If your child is specifically having problems with math, try finding a Kumon center for supplemental education. They teach the way you most likely learned as a kid(a firm core of repetition followed by a little more repetition until you master it and can recite multiplication tables in your sleep), and it's paced based on results rather than timeframe. I put my son through it and it helped tremendously.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM

403 posts, read 759,958 times
Two of my sons are in a Jefferson County Elementary school. They use Investigations for math along with another worksheet/workbook called Math's Mate. Their school also has extension rooms that are staffed by paraprofessionals that either help kids that are struggling in math or push the advanced kids even further. I do have a friend whose son moved from our school to one in the Douglas Co. school system and she was always complaining to me about the Everyday Math and saying that Investigations was much better. I hope you get it figured out for your son. I know it can be so frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver