Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM

57 posts, read 199,014 times

Advertisements

Livecontent you really crack me up . You sound very intelligent and thats a nice change from reading some of the other crap that robots like jorhyne throw out there.
speaking of, jorhyne I really think there are threads made for people like you and you are contributing NOTHING to this thread -- like I've said a few times now -- you might be more comfortable finding a deserted island and living there among other robots just like yourself. I really don't think states like CO need people like you living there. There hospitals certainly don't need cold, judgemental nurses like you taking care of their patients!
everyone else I really appreciate your "welcoming" messages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 PM

26 posts, read 116,100 times
Default I'm gay and happy in Denver

I just moved her from Dallas Texas and would like to invite Jorhyne to take my spot in the Christian/White/Conservative Texas city....!

I have found that here in Denver, people pass by us (my partner and I) when we are obviously a couple....but some do freak when they see us get into our TEXAS car!

License Plates are coming!

Jorhyne, you brought back some "unfriendly" memories of the conservative christians' behavior....it might be wise to concentrate on God's love for ALL instead of the hate you have for specific ones

May not want to mention your hospital....I know I would be very hesitant to go there and that is not fair to the others who are open/caring/compassionate and non-judgemental....

Peace to ALL....gay/straight/white/brown/black/christian/aethist/buddahist/jewish/wiccan(oh jorhyne is going to loose it on that one!!! i'll stop there..)forgive me if i forgot you....
brussell....

Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM

26 posts, read 116,100 times
Default I'm gay and happy in Denver

I just moved her from Dallas Texas and would like to invite Jorhyne to take my spot in the Christian/White/Conservative Texas city....!

I have found that here in Denver, people pass by us (my partner and I) when we are obviously a couple....but some do freak when they see us get into our TEXAS car!

License Plates are coming!

Jorhyne, you brought back some "unfriendly" memories of the conservative christians' behavior....it might be wise to concentrate on God's love for ALL instead of the hate you have for specific ones

May not want to mention your hospital....I know I would be very hesitant to go there and that is not fair to the others who are open/caring/compassionate and non-judgemental....

Peace to ALL....gay/straight/white/brown/black/christian/aethist/buddahist/jewish/wiccan(oh jorhyne is going to loose it on that one!!! i'll stop there..)forgive me if i forgot you....
brussell....

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM

63 posts, read 488,091 times
jorhyne is exactly the reason one who is gay should stay clear of Colorado Springs and Denver suburbs with an over abudant amount of mega Evangelical churces.

I wonder how you have been able to speak to God personally and know exactly how she feels?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Unfortunately, it is not true that Denver/Colorado has always been tolerant. I was here when the anti-gay Amendment Whatever passed, earning Colorado the nickname "the hate state". That was no more than 10 - 15 yrs ago. It was strick down by the Supreme Court.

Colorado has a long history of hostility to outsiders, especially Hispanics. The Ku Klux Klan was very popular here in the 1920s and controlled the state legislature. Sometimes that gets written up to make it sound like they just took over the legislature, but they were elected. Their focus in CO was anti-Catholic (like everywhere) and anti-Hispanic. Lafayette had a separate swimming pool for Hispanics, back in the day.

That said, I think CO is a very tolerant place now (for the most part), and doesn't seem to be nearly so stratified as some eastern and midwestern cities where "what are you?", meaning your "nationality" (sic), Polish, Italian, etc. is a common question. Though old time Italians here talk of discrimination, too. Hopefully, it is all a thing of the past.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
It definately has faded out especially with the large influx of people from all over the place coming here. Its rare that you actually find someone that is a native making up a more open population coming from different backgrounds and interacting with people from all different areas makes Colorado a very accepting place for people.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Default Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_co View Post
jorhyne is exactly the reason one who is gay should stay clear of Colorado Springs and Denver suburbs with an over abudant amount of mega Evangelical churces.

I wonder how you have been able to speak to God personally and know exactly how she feels?
Since when did God decide she hated gays???? I'm serious!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Unfortunately, it is not true that Denver/Colorado has always been tolerant. I was here when the anti-gay Amendment Whatever passed, earning Colorado the nickname "the hate state". That was no more than 10 - 15 yrs ago. It was strick down by the Supreme Court.

Colorado has a long history of hostility to outsiders, especially Hispanics. The Ku Klux Klan was very popular here in the 1920s and controlled the state legislature. Sometimes that gets written up to make it sound like they just took over the legislature, but they were elected. Their focus in CO was anti-Catholic (like everywhere) and anti-Hispanic. Lafayette had a separate swimming pool for Hispanics, back in the day.

That said, I think CO is a very tolerant place now (for the most part), and doesn't seem to be nearly so stratified as some eastern and midwestern cities where "what are you?", meaning your "nationality" (sic), Polish, Italian, etc. is a common question. Though old time Italians here talk of discrimination, too. Hopefully, it is all a thing of the past.

PittNurse, you have an excellent awareness of our nation's history. I read a book recently called "Lies Across America" wherein a white professor showed just how wacky many of our roadside signs and historical perspective really are. He mentions how the darkest period of racial hatred (since the Civil War ended) was roughly the 1890's into the 1920's, and that the KKK indeed had many of it's members, supporters and sympathizers elected into state legislatures and in Congress itself. His research shows that most of our current immigration laws, which went on the books in the 1920's, were in fact authored by the Klan, so they could do what you mention, keep out what THEY considered were undesirables (Jews, Catholics, anyone of color). Truth is, many Hispanic families here in CO were here generations before the Klan ever set foot here. Back in MD, where I'm originally from, the old folks talked about how swimming beaches along Chesapeake Bay used to have signs that said "Gentiles Only" and other such hatefulness. Ignorance and hate will be with us always, I have it in my own family and I wish it would go away. The forces of hate, manifested largely in a few well funded right wing organizations and a few churches are hard at work hating the last group of people in the country not yet covered by laws that prohibit hate speech, that being the gays.

I'll leave everyone with this: "Nothing raises money more than hate..." Ron Kaufman, GOP Fundraiser.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Great read pittnurse, I have tried to erase the fact that Colorado had a large KKK membership from my memory. What an awful legacy for our great State. I also tried hard to forget about Amendment 22. I was a senior in highschool and couldn't vote yet. I begged my parents to vote against that stupid thing (which I am very proud to report that they did) I was shocked that our state was so hateful to pass such an ugly law.

Did you know that Indian Hills is still the KKK regional headquarters? I don't know exactly what building, or more likely home, they operate out of but there are still active KKK members.

Morningglory - God doesn't hate homosexuals or anyone else for that matter, I would be willing to bet that she is getting sick of all these right wing radicals using her name to defend their own hatred and fear. At least that is what she told me the last time we spoke

Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Mike from back east - thank you for sharing, super post. Interesting conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver