Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 33,580 times

Advertisements

I'm from Alabama and the guys here are gentlemen (pulling out chairs, opening doors, etc) but also a little backwards, one of my ex boyfriends was convinced that since his grandmother, mother, and aunts are all stay-at-home moms his future wife should be too. There are also some douchbags here who think their God's gift to women and spend more time on their hair than I do! I'm moving to Denver soon and I want to know what are the guys and people in general like and will it be a culture shock to me? I visited last year but was only there two days so I didn't really get a chance to explore as much as I would have liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Is it really backwards to desire your wife to be a stay-at-home mom? I'm probably close to your age, married, native to Denver, and definitely think it is best that my wife stays home. I don't think that's an Alabama thing, or a Colorado thing, and certainly not a backwards thing. I think it just happens to be good sense, if economically feasible.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
I was also born in Denver and I do not believe that the wife solely due to gender is the best person to stay home. I also was under the impression that was the prevailing attitude among locals, but based on the previous post I could be wrong. IMO whatever is best for the family it is up to the couple to decide. Whether it's the man staying home, the woman, or neither.

Denver is quite different than a lot of the southern states so you may have some culture shock. You also will have fellow southern transplants that you should be able to find if it starts to be a little much. Denver is kind of a smorgasbord of transplants from throughout the US.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Is it really backwards to desire your wife to be a stay-at-home mom? I'm probably close to your age, married, native to Denver, and definitely think it is best that my wife stays home. I don't think that's an Alabama thing, or a Colorado thing, and certainly not a backwards thing. I think it just happens to be good sense, if economically feasible.
I see your point, I shouldn't have used the word backwards. There's nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom when you have a choice. My ex was adamant about that, it didn't matter if I had a college education and wanted to work or not it was simply not done in his family. So that's what was backwards to me I agree with you if it's economically feasible to be a stay-at-home mom and both my husband and I agreed on it I would do it. How old are you? I'm 23.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I've had zero luck dating here after 2 1/2 years. All the guys are too busy climbing 14'ers and drinking craft beer with their buddies to want a relationship. I'm moving back to the east coast soon.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwgravity22 View Post
I see your point, I shouldn't have used the word backwards. There's nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom when you have a choice. My ex was adamant about that, it didn't matter if I had a college education and wanted to work or not it was simply not done in his family. So that's what was backwards to me I agree with you if it's economically feasible to be a stay-at-home mom and both my husband and I agreed on it I would do it. How old are you? I'm 23.
It IS backwards if he was a knee-jerk ideologue of some sort, be it religion-based or some sort of macho "my wife doesn't have to work" mentality or some sort of family tradition straightjacket.

If it's a freely made decision then it's fine and not backwards thinking, just reality based living to do what works best for any given couple.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I've had zero luck dating here after 2 1/2 years. All the guys are too busy climbing 14'ers and drinking craft beer with their buddies to want a relationship. I'm moving back to the east coast soon.
I'm disappointed now lol

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It IS backwards if he was a knee-jerk ideologue of some sort, be it religion-based or some sort of macho "my wife doesn't have to work" mentality or some sort of family tradition straightjacket.

If it's a freely made decision then it's fine and not backwards thinking, just reality based living to do what works best for any given couple.
Nope no decision making in THAT relationship, he assumed since every woman in his family didn't work than his wife should also. point blank.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM

60 posts, read 175,158 times
Not all the guys that live here are into climbing, hiking and drinking beer. There are plenty of available, attractive, interested young men around here. Just depends on your interests and where you plan on spending your time looking for a potential mate.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm married, but this is my general understanding of the single younger men of CO.

The number of times I hear "Bro" per day makes me cringe.

Obviously this isn't 100% of the male population, but its significant enough to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: