Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-In-Cali View Post
How does the air and altitude specifically in Denver being at the base of the mountain typically fair with asthmatics and those with respiratory diseases on a daily basis since National Jewish is right there in the heart of Denver. Not counting the random wildfires. I was curious why NJH chose Denver as a settling point vs Colorado Springs or surrounding area which is ranked higher in air quality with families coming in from all over the nation and world. Can you sense that the air is dryer in Denver and cleaner than other average cities across the US when you relocated? Is there anyone that has gone there that was breathing much better than where they moved from?
No the air is much more dry and dirty because there is almost no humidity. Dry climate and wind makes for a lot more dust and we have that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-In-Cali View Post
How does the air and altitude specifically in Denver being at the base of the mountain typically fair with asthmatics and those with respiratory diseases on a daily basis since National Jewish is right there in the heart of Denver. Not counting the random wildfires. I was curious why NJH chose Denver as a settling point vs Colorado Springs or surrounding area which is ranked higher in air quality with families coming in from all over the nation and world. Can you sense that the air is dryer in Denver and cleaner than other average cities across the US when you relocated? Is there anyone that has gone there that was breathing much better than where they moved from?
It's a an old hospital. Modern pollution wasn't a consideration when selecting the location. Lots of tuberculosis patients were here because the dry air seemed to help them so it was natural to have a hospital that specialized in lung disease. My great grandfather was actually one of the founding physicians.

I would advise speaking to the doctors at NJH about specific concerns related to the environment here and your son as opposed to opinions on this forum. There are some of the best in the world working there and have no doubt seen cases like your son's. Their guidance will be far better than anything you receive on here.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
My ex wife was one of them. Hence the reason she's my ex wife.
How long did she try to acclimatize before giving up?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM

97 posts, read 246,498 times
We've lived in Falcon, just outside of Colorado Springs, for almost 10 years. No problems for the first 5 years, until hubby started traveling for business Monday-Friday. Almost as soon as he started traveling, he started having issues. He's developed Cheyne Stokes respiration patterns (info found here: Altitude.org | Sleep at High Altitude) and now needs to use oxygen when he sleeps. His sleep doc says as long as he uses the oxygen, he can live here indefinitely. Annoying, though. The only cure is to move.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's a an old hospital. Modern pollution wasn't a consideration when selecting the location. Lots of tuberculosis patients were here because the dry air seemed to help them so it was natural to have a hospital that specialized in lung disease. My great grandfather was actually one of the founding physicians.

I would advise speaking to the doctors at NJH about specific concerns related to the environment here and your son as opposed to opinions on this forum. There are some of the best in the world working there and have no doubt seen cases like your son's. Their guidance will be far better than anything you receive on here.
I just looked at mic111's link about the history of National Jewish. Not too surprising that it was a TB hospital/sanitarium, so were many hospitals around here including the now named Exempla Lutheran. For some reason, the climate and the dry air were considered beneficial to TB patients. Patients slept in tents on the grounds, supposedly b/c it was good for them. When I worked at Lutheran, there was a tent display on the grounds. Don't know if it's still there. There were places like that in the mountains of Pennsylvania as well, FWIW.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:39 PM

327 posts, read 526,319 times
karatemomx4, does he use just oxygen, or cpap/apap also? C-S is kind of serious, isn't it?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 AM

367 posts, read 420,804 times
Living at altitude of 6,200 feet (Lake Tahoe) removed my asthma troubles and made me feel the best I ever felt in my life, my health had never been better and the best athletic performance. I believe altitude is good for health.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM

97 posts, read 246,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
karatemomx4, does he use just oxygen, or cpap/apap also? C-S is kind of serious, isn't it?
He just uses oxygen, with a concentrator and a nasal cannula. We actually just recently were looking back at his medical records, and realized that most of the problems started after he had a bout of pneumonia, which coincided with the start of the traveling. We were wondering if maybe the damage caused by the pneumonia weakened his lungs, which may have then triggered the breathing problems...who knows at this point.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
My dad had to move out of Colorado down to sea level. The doctors suggested it after his heart surgeries and botched gallbladder surgery where the good ol' folks at Littleton Adventist Hospital punctured his diaphragm and left him breathing on one lung. Since his relocation, his dizziness is gone and he isn't huffing and puffing too badly anymore.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 472 times
I've lived in Colorado all my life. Now that I'm hitting 60 I noticed I've been wheezing & getting sick with respiratory problems & my immune system isnt as strong (even though I've been healthy all my life here in Denver, CO). Colorado is a beautiful state but the altitude does have alot to do with our breathing. I'm at 5280 feet. When I visit family 300 miles away who are at over 12,000 feet, the air is crisp & clean, but I definitely notice a difference in breathing (harder) because of the elevation. My brother (who is on oxygen 24/7) was sent by his Dr to Denver from San Luis, Colorado last September to live in a lower altitude (12,000' vs 5280'). There is a difference when it comes to breathing. Denver has also become a booming place to live so there are triple the people & there is much more smog here, especially in the winter months. If anyone is looking at visiting, I would highly suggest they prepare themselves. The higher the altitude, the more difficult for many to adjust to it. And yes, definitely check with a doctor as well & a good physical would help ahead of time. This is just my opinion and from my own personal experience. I am not a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver