Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,093 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

After being away from Denver for a few years, I am moving back (yay!!) I lived in town for about 7 years, although it was mostly in Aurora.

I am thinking about buying a place in Westminster that is on 108th street between Wadsworth and Simms, near the Rocky Mountain Municipal Airport. So, I have to ask, how noisy is the airport? Is it something that would drive a person insane, is it an every once in a while thing, or is it something that generally I won't notice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,688,891 times
I suggest that you knock on a few doors in the neighborhood and ask the people who live there. We used to live close to Centennial Airport, and sometimes the small planes practising on weekends would drive us crazy. And we were surprised to find that large jets took off from there, sometimes in the middle of the night.

If you do a little searching around on the internet, you can find sites that keep track of complaints filed about noise at the various small airports around town.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,693,737 times
I used to work very close to there and never noticed anything--then again, I didn't live there. It didn't seem like that busy of an airport. They do an airshow there, just an FYI.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM

166 posts, read 412,316 times
RMMA has been expanding over the course of time. It does currently allow both small jets and light single/turbo prop so noise is of great concern for some. The forestry dept or whomever use it for their planes to fight the wild fires.
I'd say it would depend on which part of Countryside and Walnut Grove you'd be looking at based on flight paths; approach typically crosses Wads just north of 108th and take-off would affect parts of Superior Rock Creek more.... but by their map one is still in their 'noise sensitive" area It probably be best once you're back here is to canvas the hood and ask local residents of their experiences with the air traffic and noise. I'd guess over time one becomes used to it and its background noise.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,093 times
I'd love to canvas the area, but as I'm on the West Coast for the moment, that is a bit cost prohibitive And, with Denver's real estate market, waiting until I move out at the end of the month might not be a good option. I'm sure it'll be under contract by then.

Although, I do have an apartment rented on a short lease-- so, perhaps it is best to simply let this one fall through until I get out there at the end of the month.

Thanks to those who responded! Thanks especially for the noise map. It seems to cover most of the west side of town! (I suppose people have widely different levels of "noise sensitivity".) I'd love to hear more from those in the area or work in that area often.

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,384,518 times
You should try living on an active war zone air field in Afghanistan. THAT'S Noisy lol

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,066,187 times
My husband works right next to the airport and says there is too much noise there to live there. They get buzzed by planes alot and a helicopter flight school flying in circles non-stop. Says it was annoying when he worked on the top floor. Not so much now but does not recommend living right near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver