Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,743 times

Advertisements

I'm 22, have a bachelors in Liberal Arts and a Master's Level Certificate in Writing. For the last two years I've taught in a private school in the Denver area--I felt lucky to have been hired young, without experience or a license.
However, recently I've begun proceedings to get a license and a fact keeps popping up that disturbs me. Most sites list a starting teacher's salary at about $31,000. I was paid $6,000 the first year (taught 9th and 10th English) and $8,000 the second (taught 9th and 10th English, 9th and 11th History and had resource room hours). I had assumed that some of my salary went towards food and board (the school provided me with both as I'm from out of state). However that's still a really significant difference! I feel really dumb about this. Now I've been hired on for another year. Is there anything I can do? Or as a private school do they have the right to set their salaries to whatever they choose?

If anyone has any information, I'm really desperate! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Employment at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecleery View Post
Or as a private school do they have the right to set their salaries to whatever they choose?
They have to pay you at least Colorado minimum wage, unless schools are exempt (which they may be).

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
You are being taken.

Paying you $6,000 for 180 days of work comes out to $33.33 per day or $4.16 per hour.

If you are being provided with housing and food, I suppose it might be legal for the school to deduct that from your wages. HOWEVER, they need to have this agreement in writing.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 PM

No teacher has 3-4 months off. The average private sector employee works 236 days per year, and the average teacher contract is 185 days per year. While a teacher works 51 fewer days (which equates to 8 weeks in summer and 2 weeks at Christmas), the teacher is not paid for those days.

Besides, since when is paying rent and a grocery bill considered getting by? There are many other bills a person has including:

Clothing
Car payment, insurance, gas and maintenance. OR a bus pass
Phone bill
College loans
Entertainment

She shouldn't have to live like a nun.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-09-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I'm 22, have a bachelors in Liberal Arts and a Master's Level Certificate in Writing. For the last two years I've taught in a private school in the Denver area--I felt lucky to have been hired young, without experience or a license.
However, recently I've begun proceedings to get a license and a fact keeps popping up that disturbs me. Most sites list a starting teacher's salary at about $31,000. I was paid $6,000 the first year (taught 9th and 10th English) and $8,000 the second (taught 9th and 10th English, 9th and 11th History and had resource room hours). I had assumed that some of my salary went towards food and board (the school provided me with both as I'm from out of state). However that's still a really significant difference! I feel really dumb about this. Now I've been hired on for another year. Is there anything I can do? Or as a private school do they have the right to set their salaries to whatever they choose?

Are you required to live on campus? Ask your employer how much you would be paid if you moved off campus. Then you will see how much you are really being paid. If you are not allowed to move off campus, then I would be very suspicious of their compliance with the law.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:

Contact the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment. They should be able to help you.
633 17th Street, Suite 200, Denver, CO 80202-3660 • Phone: 303-318-8441

CDLE - Labor Laws:Minimum Wage History

Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
No teacher has 3-4 months off. The average private sector employee works 236 days per year, and the average teacher contract is 185 days per year. While a teacher works 51 fewer days (which equates to 8 weeks in summer and 2 weeks at Christmas), the teacher is not paid for those days.
Colorado minimum wage $7.78 per hour.

x 6 hours a day = $46.68 per day.

x 185 days = $8635.80 per year.

It sounds like the OP is being paid the legal minimum wage. Pretty sad when a teacher has to work for minimum wage, but it is probably legal.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Colorado minimum wage $7.78 per hour.

x 6 hours a day = $46.68 per day.

x 185 days = $8635.80 per year.

It sounds like the OP is being paid the legal minimum wage. Pretty sad when a teacher has to work for minimum wage, but it is probably legal.
First of all, she is $600+ below minimum wage the second year and $2600 below minimum wage for the first year.

A teacher's workday is 8 hours long unless the school does not pay for a lunch hour. Most schools have paid lunch hours because teachers are often required to supervise the lunchroom or be a monitor at recess.

Bottom line: if the teacher is required to be in the building, then the teacher is on the clock.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
First of all, she is $600+ below minimum wage the second year and $2600 below minimum wage for the first year.

A teacher's workday is 8 hours long unless the school does not pay for a lunch hour. Most schools have paid lunch hours because teachers are often required to supervise the lunchroom or be a monitor at recess.

Bottom line: if the teacher is required to be in the building, then the teacher is on the clock.
Do you know for a fact how many hours per day she is working? Some teachers are only part-time, and no, employers are not required to pay for lunchtime.

As I told the OP, she should contact the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment for advice.

Also I think she should document all of her hours worked. If it comes up short of minimum wage, she should file a complain with the Department of Labor & Employment, and she will get the money for it. But most employers are not that stupid. They know what they have to pay their workers, and the penalties for not complying are stiff.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:

Besides, since when is paying rent and a grocery bill considered getting by? There are many other bills a person has including:

Clothing
Car payment, insurance, gas and maintenance. OR a bus pass
Phone bill
College loans
Entertainment

She shouldn't have to live like a nun.
My Mom, a teacher of 30 plus years made a good point most don't get...........the day doesn't end at end of school. Grading papers, preparing lesson plans, and parent teacher conferences, she worked till 6-7 PM.

Generally higher pay is for working the grittier areas. She got paid less because she taught in upper class district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: