Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been trying to get answers from Amtrak directly and they are completely useless. I'm hoping somebody can tell me if the trains from Denver into the mountains (Grand Junction etc) are still running in both directions this week? There was an item on this morning's news about Union Pacific lines closing so I need to make sure about Amtrak as we have tickets for Saturday.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Denverpost said in yesterday paper that AmTrak was busing People to Bridge the gap.

Amtrak, freight trains in flood zones likely out through month - The Denver Post

Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Oh crap!

Actually managed to talk with someone at Amtrak who said that the bus service is now cancelled and the trains are detouring around Grand Junction so no trains are stopping there.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
From what I am hearing (train nerd internet conjecture so take it with a grain of salt) the Union Pacific was able to re-open up it's route to Wyoming from Denver today so Amtrak is able to connect to the rail that roughly parallels I-80 (referred to as the Overland route) in order to get to SLC. Amtrak has used that route to SLC before, and it is faster to SLC but less scenic and misses every point currently served by Amtrak in between Denver and SLC. They are likely re-routing passengers bound for destinations in between SLC and Denver onto buses in SLC or Denver.

The Union Pacific is trying to get the rail between Moffat and Denver open ASAP since it's a vital coal route from the mines near Craig to places such as Texas (The detour they have to take now adds about 72 hours so imagine what it is costing the RR). However, If you are going from Denver to Grand Junction in the next few weeks and cannot drive just book through greyhound it will be less confusing that way, and you are going to end up on a coach bus anyway. OP I am sure Amtrak will provide you with some options, but they will not involve a train because from what I am hearing it's 2 weeks minimum to get those tracks repaired.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 09-19-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
From what I am hearing (train nerd internet conjecture so take it with a grain of salt) the Union Pacific was able to re-open up it's route to Wyoming from Denver today so Amtrak is able to connect to the rail that roughly parallels I-80 (referred to as the Overland route) in order to get to SLC. Amtrak has used that route to SLC before, and it is faster to SLC but less scenic and misses every point currently served by Amtrak in between Denver and SLC. They are likely re-routing passengers bound for destinations in between SLC and Denver onto buses in SLC or Denver.

The Union Pacific is trying to get the rail between Moffat and Denver open ASAP since it's a vital coal route from the mines near Craig to places such as Texas (The detour they have to take now adds about 72 hours so imagine what it is costing the RR). However, If you are going from Denver to Grand Junction in the next few weeks and cannot drive just book through greyhound it will be less confusing that way, and you are going to end up on a coach bus anyway. OP I am sure Amtrak will provide you with some options, but they will not involve a train because from what I am hearing it's 2 weeks minimum to get those tracks repaired.
Well, what the nice lady at Amtrak told me was that the train was bypassing Grand Junction entirely and possibly all stops between Denver and SLC and that the bus service was cancelled for the foreseeable future. The track itself is apparently closed for repairs for at least a month. On the upside, I got a full refund from them. Hopefully we can try again in 2014.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:25 PM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Well, what the nice lady at Amtrak told me was that the train was bypassing Grand Junction entirely and possibly all stops between Denver and SLC and that the bus service was cancelled for the foreseeable future. The track itself is apparently closed for repairs for at least a month. On the upside, I got a full refund from them. Hopefully we can try again in 2014.
Glad you got your money back, and yes the train is definitely going to be bypassing Grand Junction since they are halting the bus bridge today in favor of the Wyoming route.

From what they are telling the AP Amtrak detours due to flooding in Colorado : News : FOX21News.com they still will have chartered buses to everywhere but Fraser and Granby until the line comes back up. Honestly either what the lady told you, or what they are telling the press could be true, Amtrak has a reputation for giving misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver