Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:40 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times

Advertisements

Can anyone speak to the kinds of products helpful to a new person, moving to Denver. I have dry skin, a small bit of COPD in my lungs, and will be using cannabis oil. Would Eucerin be helpful?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I am moving from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
Can anyone speak to the kinds of products helpful to a new person, moving to Denver. I have dry skin, a small bit of COPD in my lungs, and will be using cannabis oil. Would Eucerin be helpful?

I know people here who use Eucerin - they find it helpful, particularly in the winter.
I don't use it as it is too greasy for me. I lean more towards the Aveeno products but it really is a matter of personal preference.
Whatever you choose, whether mass market or boutique, there is endless selection here.
Also probably want to get a good sunscreen and the darkest sunglasses you can find.
While it does get cold here, the sun is very intense here even in the winter.

Most important is to stay hydrated particularly with COPD.

If you do a lot of baking, it's good to get familiar with the differences in a high-altitude environment. I find I often have to adjust temps, cook time, amount of liquids and amount of flour to get things to come out as expected.
Lots of trial and error.

Again, personal preference, but you might want to invest in a good pair of waterproof, insulated shoes like they sell at L.L. Bean. I cannot stand to have cold feet, so that was a big must-have for me.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Good stuff above.

I would also recommend dressing in layers. Get a nice waterproof breathable (Gore-Tex or the like) shell that you can put on top of a sweater or fleece. The temps can swing pretty wildly, especially when the sun goes away.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
when i lived in CO and MT [3 years in each place], I found sesame oil as moisturizer or on particular dry patches[not toasted unless you want to smell like stir fry] is absorbed easily and more effectively/deeper than topical solutions like eucerin, which only does a temporary surface relief thing for me. Anyway, Sesame oil has a number of inherent nutrients that make the skin very happy....also, for dry nostrils/respiratory, put a dab under/inside each nostril. Easy and works very fast to relieve dryness/hoarseness and helps if you have a cold or to help keep one away! Worked like a champ for me. I still do this in so cal, where it's sometimes dry, though nowhere near like it was in CO, of course.

Contrary to (some) popular belief, if you use a modest amount, it's not greasy or thick/viscous like many lotions and some types of oil can be; the skin will absorb what it needs within an hour or so...you can just dab off anything left over, which will probably be minimal to none in the climate of CO.

Good luck finding what works for you....

Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
A humidifier for your bedroom.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Default I also have dry skin

I use Target's equivalent to Vaseline Coconut Body Lotion and it seems to work for me. I probably have about ten lip balms in my possession, too. Can never have enough. Not sure if you're a dude, but always lotion up after a shave, too.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM

47 posts, read 93,053 times
Origins makes some amazing moisturizers, as does Philosophy. I've used Philosophy on my face for about 3 years, and never peel or get 'rough' patches. Origins Precipitation is the best body lotion I've ever used, period.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Don't forget your lips! My favorite lip treatment is by My Favorite Night Balm by C.O. Bigelow. Pricey, but well worth the money for our family as it is the only thing -- and we've tried it all -- that relieves the very severe chapping my youngest develops every winter. Comes in a small, dark blue squeeze tube and is available on-line and at Bath & Body Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
A humidifier for your bedroom.
COPD patients do best in low humidity environments.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-02-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I know people here who use Eucerin - they find it helpful, particularly in the winter.
I don't use it as it is too greasy for me. I lean more towards the Aveeno products but it really is a matter of personal preference.
Whatever you choose, whether mass market or boutique, there is endless selection here.
Also probably want to get a good sunscreen and the darkest sunglasses you can find.
While it does get cold here, the sun is very intense here even in the winter.

Most important is to stay hydrated particularly with COPD.

If you do a lot of baking, it's good to get familiar with the differences in a high-altitude environment. I find I often have to adjust temps, cook time, amount of liquids and amount of flour to get things to come out as expected.
Lots of trial and error.

Again, personal preference, but you might want to invest in a good pair of waterproof, insulated shoes like they sell at L.L. Bean. I cannot stand to have cold feet, so that was a big must-have for me.

The baking issue snuck up on my wife and I yesterday. She was baking cupcakes for a superbowl party we were attending and it definitely took a lot longer to cook.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM

367 posts, read 421,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post

Please, stay away from chemical garbage such as Eucerin and similar stuff.
Just look at ingredient list. They have a pipe that goes from oil refineries pumping this garbage to consumers--and another pipe from people's pockets feeling money to "medical" and "pharma" industry once the public gets sick from these chemicals. Not only this staff will eventually damage your skin, it gets inside your system and does all kinds of horrible stuff to your body, containing xeno-estrogens in one "good" thing about it, etc.

Just stick to natural oils. Jojoba, Castor, unrefined coconut, hemp, sesame, argan (more expensive), etc.
These oils contain various Omega acids and other good fats that are great for your skin and your entire system.
If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin should be a general rule.
Also, dry skin is a sign of internal condition/imbalance that you might be able to address via nutrition, and eating organic, unrefined, omega-rich high quality fats might be a part of it.
I had lung condition being one step short from COPD before and ditching chemical toxins from food and care products, going organic was one thing that made a difference for my lungs as well.
Stay away from anything they sell in mainstream stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: