Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 AM

7 posts, read 9,554 times

Advertisements

I've been told commuting on the Denver Boulder Turnpike can be pretty awful.

However, we will be visiting Denver to look at properties for a few days sometime during the week of April 14th through the 19th and may need to stay in Broomfield if we go later in the week. That is because hotels in Denver are getting booked up due to tourists going there for the 4/20 "festival".

If we did choose to stay in Broomfield, how long should we expect to wait for traffic to die down before driving into Denver. Similarly, how long should we expect to wait before driving back up to Broomfield?

It doesn't have to be this way, though. We could go earlier in the week and stay in town. But going later in the week suits our schedule better. And, I must admit, I'm curious to see what these "festivities" are like. (They commence on 4/17.) Thanks.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-01-2014 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Correct city name is Broomfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
What is Bloomington?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Sorry. I meant Broomfield.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
As you may have picked up from reading this forum, the drive down US 36 right now is not a pretty pretty picture, most any time of day. Certainly, it's easier before/after rush hour. I think if you made an appointment to see a place in Denver at 9 AM or later, you'd be OK, as long as you left a lot of time for traffic foul ups. Better to get there early, and go find a coffee shop or something, than to be stuck on the highway. Coming home is more variable. I work near 36, within sight of it, and often traffic is still moving slowly at 6 PM.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
There is a 420 festival? I did not know that. A bunch of stoned drivers on the highways--sounds great!

Well, I will give you the answer--The traffic will never die down. It is obviously heavier during the rush but as I said this highway is well over its design capacity. Adding in the heavy construction of the BRT and the highway is continuous mess.

However, 36 goes into 25, which is also, problematic, and that will also be packed from this stoners event with the exits and entrances jammed with drivers not knowing where they are driving or even caring where they are driving and not knowing what they are driving going somewhere they do not know what they are going to drive to see something they do not know what they will want to see in someplace they know not where they are--and you want to drive to this festival? Be sure to use your seatbelt in this demolition derby!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-01-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM

387 posts, read 638,302 times
Is there a particular reason for staying in Broomfield? I understand if the downtown hotels are booking up, but there are places to stay that would avoid having to use 36 unless there's a particular reason you need to be in that area. There are many hotels near the Denver Tech Center (DTC) as well as in Lakewood near the Federal Center and another cluster near the Denver West office park. DTC and the Federal Center have the added advantage of being near the light rail, so if you want to avoid driving into the Downtown area (with the 420 celebrations, parking may be challenging), you can use the light rail system. If you DO need to drive, from Lakewood, it's a straight shot down highway 6 (also called 6th Ave.) into the city. It does get a bit busy in the AM, but nothing near as bad as 36 into downtown.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
The commute on the 36 will die down when one of two things happens: A: They add 2 more lanes in each direction, or B: the Yellowstone supervolcano blows and suffocates everyone in the metro area to death (more likely than option A lol!)

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM

356 posts, read 624,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The commute on the 36 will die down when one of two things happens: A: They add 2 more lanes in each direction, or B: the Yellowstone supervolcano blows and suffocates everyone in the metro area to death (more likely than option A lol!)
Classic lol!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM

77 posts, read 132,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Is there a particular reason for staying in Broomfield?
Was just wondering this too... why Broomfield?? If it were me I'd probably stay in Lakewood, if only because there are about 10 restaurants I've been wanting to try down there.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your input, everybody. I went ahead and booked a room at the Holiday Inn-Denver East--Stapleton on Quebec St. I bought the room blind through Hotwire--only $50/night. I love Hotwire. Like with Priceline, you're never sure what you're going to get, or where exactly it will be. But, sometimes, it's a good deal. Looks like I'll be taking I-70 W towards downtown for about nine miles and taking Sheridan Blvd the rest of the way. Or, I guess I could just look for the cloud of smoke. Or follow my nose. I just hope none of those stoners will be driving in front of me through the neighborhoods looking at condos/townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver