Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 16,800 times

Advertisements

Hello I am being transferred to Lakewood in June and would like some assistance in finding a place to live or area to live.

I'm in my mid twenties and am hoping to find a place that is near a cool/hip area, but also close to good outdoors activities...

I'm trying to keep my rent <$1500.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I'd start with the Belmar area.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM

110 posts, read 188,284 times
I second the Belmar area, especially if you're renting. Walking distance to lots of shops, restaurants, and an easy drive to downtown.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
If you want live in Lakewood, I third Belmar. But if cool/hip is important, I suggest Cap Hill, South Broadway or Lodo. All are within a 15-20 minute drive of Lakewood. Belmar is still the 'burbs.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
If you want live in Lakewood, I third Belmar. But if cool/hip is important, I suggest Cap Hill, South Broadway or Lodo. All are within a 15-20 minute drive of Lakewood. Belmar is still the 'burbs.
This. Lakewood is not cool/hip.

Also check out Baker neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I moved from Miami and went into Belmar. I loved the convenience of walking to Target/WF, bars, shops, etc. No gas and no DUI's. I moved out recently but will be going back. Miss it

Old 05-08-2014, 05:45 PM

387 posts, read 638,222 times
Hi, I work in Lakewood, and live in Belmar. I LOVE it. Granted, I am neither terribly young nor hip, just your average, everyday single mom w/ teen. But, also, I ain't dead yet (as they say!). I love being able to walk for groceries, to go get a drink with friends after work (and to have several choices in doing so!), have a wide variety of restaurants practically at my doorstep. My teen loves it, her friends want to hang at our apartment, because they can walk to movies, bowling, get gelato, go shopping, all that teen girl stuff. And when they're done, they can go swimming or hang out in the hot tub at our complex. Since moving to Belmar, once I get home from work, I don't drive anywhere most days. I simply walk to pretty much anything I need. I only gas up my car about every 2 weeks. Added bonus, if you like hiking, you can get to several spots starting in Morrison, up through Evergreen and into Golden with about 20-30 minutes drive time tops. Belmar is 30 minutes or more closer to skiing than any of the "cool" spots in Denver such as Lodo, Cap Hill or South Broadway. It's a short bike ride to the light rail, too. If you're working at the Federal Center, you could live carless if you'd like; public transportation between Belmar and the Fed Center is quick and easy. Of course, if you do have a car, my complex has restricted covered parking, too.

There are MANY folks in my complex close to your age, and it is a very friendly community. I chat with my neighbors picking up mail, walking dogs, getting coffee, whatever. If you're interested at all, feel free to PM me, and I'll let you know more about it.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStafford View Post
Belmar is 30 minutes or more closer to skiing than any of the "cool" spots in Denver such as Lodo, Cap Hill or South Broadway.
Baker is 12 minutes to Belmar and closer to the highway. I would say that if at all closer to the mountains time wise than Baker it would be 5 minutes. South Broadway is another 5 minutes away. West Wash Park is about the same.

Edit: google maps says Belmar is 4 minutes closer to Loveland Ski area than Baker. 5 minutes closer than West Wash Park. 6 closer than South Broadway.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-08-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 AM

224 posts, read 559,688 times
Belmar also has great walking places. When I worked at the Fed Center, I used to drive over to Mountze (? I think that is the name) Lake to walk at noontime. Nice place to see lots of wildlife (coyotes, waterfowl, muskrats) with a great view of the mountains. A modest, attractive neighborhood of townhouses and SFHs along Carr Street leads to that park, which has one very large lake and a smaller pond.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
I think Belmar is a great suggestion if you want to be close to work and/or don't want to drive. I was there last summer and was actually surprised at how nice the area had become. I remember it being a bit more run down.

I do think you should consider downtown though too. Especially since you are wanting more a hip vibe. Belmar is hip, but probably more so for young parents or couples. Downtown will have a nightlife scene and you'll be close enough for a commute to work, as well as outdoor trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver