Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,059 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Ocean Springs, Ms. to Denver Co. in a couple months and was wondering how safe the Five Points neighborhood is? Will I be able to ride my bike from there to the Denver Zoo? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Default It depends

on your definition of safe.

See Crime Statistics and Maps | Denver Police Department

look at both the tables and the maps

Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 AM

897 posts, read 1,254,557 times
Where in five points? The northeast corner is the worst and it gets better and better the more you head southwest (with the exception of the Denver Rescue Mission area on Lawrence and 20th I believe).

So first it depends on where you live in 5 points. With all that said, I ride from 18th and Arapahoe on my bike to City Park (where the zoo is located) and haven't run into any problems yet People are nice here, and it's relatively safe even in the bad neighborhoods (compared to NYC anyway hehe).

I'm of the opinion that you need to look for trouble here, it doesn't look for you. If you are buying drugs at Curtis park at 2AM yea you are at a risk of getting robbed / shot / whatever but if you just go about your daily business nobody bothers you here.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,059 times
Awesome thanks! I was looking at Premier Lofts at 2200 Market Street. I picked there because they have a lot of really positive reviews. I am still open to changing the apartment if I find something better. Thanks again

Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM

356 posts, read 625,005 times
I would consider that more the ballpark district and not 5 points. You'll be fine.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM

557 posts, read 812,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelShawn View Post
I will be moving from Ocean Springs, Ms. to Denver Co. in a couple months and was wondering how safe the Five Points neighborhood is? Will I be able to ride my bike from there to the Denver Zoo? Thanks for any help.
We just moved from Gautier last year. Huge, but welcome change.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,693,737 times
Seems like mostly property crime. My friend owns a condo there and his car has been broken into twice. I wouldn't have much hesitation about riding your bike to the zoo.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Default Get a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Seems like mostly property crime. My friend owns a condo there and his car has been broken into twice.
If you have a garage, you do not participate in "theft of and theft from motor vehicle".

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,260,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelShawn View Post
Awesome thanks! I was looking at Premier Lofts at 2200 Market Street. I picked there because they have a lot of really positive reviews. I am still open to changing the apartment if I find something better. Thanks again
I live very close to the Premier Lofts. Actually considered it when I moved here too. You'll be fine. May see homeless people wandering around because there is a shelter nearby, but they are harmless. You'll be 2 blocks away from Coors Field, in the same block as I Fish, and there's a liquor store right around the corner. Plenty of fun. I love living here.

If you need someone to visit the apartments and take pictures for you, let me know. I checked out most of the buildings in the Ball Park area when I was apartment hunting, so I have some insights about the atmosphere as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,693,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If you have a garage, you do not participate in "theft of and theft from motor vehicle".
...he parks in a (shared) garage with assigned spaces. No guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: