Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,841 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been dwelling on for some time. I own a 2002 honda civic with 108k miles which runs well and has good market value still remaining. Could likely get $4500 for it. I also highly desire a pre-owned Subaru Forester with low-ish miles. I'm torn on whether I should just take my Civic to Denver From Boston, with limited cargo space and higher potential for mechanical issues, or make a private party sale of my Civic and put that towards a down payment on a Forester which may both provide a lot more cargo space and be more reliable on the drive
. It would also likely be my vehicle for the next 10 years or so. Would it be more wise to drive my vehicle to CO and THEN consider a newer car, or purchase a newer car in MA now and get the most cash value for it towards a down payment? A lot of factors to consider here but if anyone has had a similar predicament please share your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,578,269 times
Not sure what the market is for Subarus in Boston, but the command a premium here versus many other markets. This is typically not the best place to buy them.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 PM

33 posts, read 41,877 times
I'd look at your local CL and CarGurus.com in both places and see what you can find.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,540,899 times
If you decide to go ahead and purchase the vehicle in Mass, and then immediately move to Colorado. Then look at the amount of back to back fees you are going to incur from 2 states.

You will have to pay Mass the Sales Tax, registration and you will be responsible for the 2014 Excise Tax. I'm sure your well aware how expensive that Excise Tax will be.

Then in Colorado you will have to pay that state for their registration, and whatever other fees they may have. That's a lot of money back to back for a vehicle.

If it were me and I needed or wanted a new car and I was planning on moving immediately. Then I would buy the newer vehicle in my new state. The only time I would buy the vehicle before I left, is if I honestly felt my older vehicle just wasn't going to make the trip. That I would constantly be worried about breaking down. Otherwise if it runs well enough for the trip, I would just drive the Civic and save myself all that money.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 3,780,453 times
take the honda. give her some fresh oil and worry about the new car in your new city.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehvoslef View Post
This is something I've been dwelling on for some time. I own a 2002 honda civic with 108k miles which runs well and has good market value still remaining. Could likely get $4500 for it. I also highly desire a pre-owned Subaru Forester with low-ish miles. I'm torn on whether I should just take my Civic to Denver From Boston, with limited cargo space and higher potential for mechanical issues
I have an '05 Civic Hybrid with 358,000 miles, most of which were driven here in Colorado.

Your '02 with 1/3 the miles will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: