Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM

472 posts, read 434,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
weather.com - US Ragweed Play with the different map options at the bottom.

Come visit. If visiting Seattle, he was good, I would definitely suggest doing the same for Denver.
This is helpful. Thanks!

Spring and fall are good times to keep a check using this map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
OP, I'll be right behind you, on my way out of central TX hell, due to allergies. Having lived in Denver/Boulder for 13 years, two different stints, the last before moving to Austin, and being extremely allergic to ALL the allergens on your son's list, (in addition to cedar and others) he'll do great in Denver.

He may have seasonal (spring/fall) sniffles when the trees bloom but it will be night and day in contrast to what you're accustomed to in Austin and nothing that Children's Zyretc or Allegra can't knock out whereas they make no difference here for my kids because the levels are so high.

Oak in CO and CA is not live oak (Austin), it's 'regular' oak. I am horribly allergic to oak here but not the traditional oak in CO.

Cedar is moot. While there are a few mountain juniper (no where NEAR what Cen TX has, of course), things FREEZE in CO for up to 6 months of the year hampering the pollination drastically and with hardly any trees to begin with (compared to central TX) and the fact that most of them aren't anywhere near the Front Range, it makes it mighty tough for pollination to occur. It was a non-issue for me and I have flu-like symptoms with Cedar here for 3 months straight -- cortisone shot doesn't even help.

This past January, during the the worst of Ceder Fever in Austin, we drove back to Denver for a week. I went from miserable (barely functioning physically [and emotionally] on Flonase, Zyrtec and Benadryl) to perfectly clear once in Denver. First time in a year and a half I went without allergy pills. Returned to the horror a week later and decided it's not worth it to stay in Austin.

Second to Cedar, Mold is my biggest issue; since it's almost always present in Austin and often only fluctuates between med-high, I operate 365 days a year here as if I have a cold (runny, sneezy, gross throat), while on Zytec every day. It's NOT an issue at all in CO.

Also, I was raised in San Jose and spent my early adult years in the Bay Area as well. No major allergy issues there either other than occasional hayfever that was fleeting and knocked out with OTC pill. You'll just need a lot more $ due to the COL in the BA, of course.

Good luck in your search.

BIG thanks for sharing this info and your experiences between Denver, San Jose and Central TX.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Hello!

My wife and I (with our 8 yr and 2 yr old) are looking to move out of Austin. We like Austin and are thankful for our 8+ years here but it's time to move on. Main reason is allergies. Our older kid has been suffering through allergies (environmental related ... oak, ragweed etc.) for years now and we can't bear to see him go through life that way. We are also worried about our younger one catching the same problem.

Some background ... I work in tech and wife works from home. We don't "hate" hot or "love" cold weather but given our pick we'd take cold weather anyday. We have lived in a big house for years now and even though the family says they'd be OK in a 3 BDR apt I find it hard to believe :-)

So based on that and some family in the city (or closeby) we have narrowed it down to Denver, Seattle and San Jose areas.

I would really appreciate some advise from residents on the pros and cons of these cities. Any advise (COL, weather etc.) is fine as you might point out something that I missed but my posting is targeted more towards allergies in these cities. Specifically, if you moved from a place where you had these allergy attacks and never had to encounter one after moving etc.

Thanks a bunch!
I'd recommend: Seattle, San Jose, Denver in that order. There is lots of ragweed in Colorado. I don't think moving to Denver would solve an allergy problem. Plus Denver gets pretty hot in the summer. Seattle would be much cooler.

San Jose is just crazy expensive, especially for a family. The best you could hope for in San Jose would probably be a 2 BDR apt. Everybody here works in tech, and they are jammed into small places like that.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 PM

17,747 posts, read 30,013,070 times
Default Allergy free

Antarctica

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 PM

8,619 posts, read 14,991,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd recommend: Seattle, San Jose, Denver in that order. There is lots of ragweed in Colorado. I don't think moving to Denver would solve an allergy problem. Plus Denver gets pretty hot in the summer. Seattle would be much cooler.

San Jose is just crazy expensive, especially for a family. The best you could hope for in San Jose would probably be a 2 BDR apt. Everybody here works in tech, and they are jammed into small places like that.
KaaBoom, like Meh, has an ax to grind with Denver so take what you see with a grain of salt. If you dare ask what winter is like in Denver, KaaBoom will dredge up every blizzard photo known to man and attempt to make Denver look like the North freakin' Pole.

The OP is coming from Austin, Texas. Ever been to Austin? It's miserably hot and humid in Austin during the summer. The AVERAGE daily high in Austin is 90 or above from June 'til September.

Take last year, for example. From June 1st to August 31st Austin had a grand total of THREE days where the high temp was below 90. During that same period the mercury reached 100 or above 36 times. Denver will feel COOL by comparison and Seattle will seem downright chilly.

If you're the gambling kind, odds are allergies in Colorado will more than likely be milder here than Texas, and the allergy season WILL be shorter because it freezes here.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,631,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

You put Denver last. I'm shocked. You don't think Denver would solve an allergy problem. Are you an allergist?

OP, This guy can't be trusted about anything when it comes to Denver.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 PM

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Antarctica
Umm...I'll just ignore this very unhelpful post.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,547,279 times
Something to consider. What I miss about Denver Metro was less people. Back in So Cal you can't escape them. Same for SV, something to think about. Austin isn't small but it's not SV size for sure.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 AM

79 posts, read 100,178 times
I have nasty allergies here in Reno, NV where it is REALLY dusty. I have been checking out Denver looking for apartments the past month and, granted I only was there for 15 days so far but one thing I noticed is that I had no sniffling in Denver. Your mileage will undoubtably vary.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM

17,747 posts, read 30,013,070 times
Default Let me try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Umm...I'll just ignore this very unhelpful post.
Consider Greenland. Notice the distinct lack of vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver