Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,109 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My grandma lives across the street from the mobile home park in the Westwood neighborhood of Denver. The park has been closed by the city since 2009, yet people are still living there. Of course, I feel bad for the people that are going to be forced to move out but I think it's interesting that the city hasn't forced the residents out and bulldozed the place. Does anyone know why this is the case? I recently got interested in this topic when I saw that a huge blight in the Westwood neighborhood was being torn down, the Old Thriftway shop on Morrison Rd.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
2 news stories here from 2009

Time's up for Denver trailer park - The Denver Post

Carroll: By-the-book cruelty - The Denver Post

Perhaps more sympathetic bureaucrats have prevailed after all ?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
If you really want to know the current status, call the Denver Office of Community Development. They were the ones mentioned in the article.

I really don't think you can compare throwing a bunch of people out of their homes with tearing down an old Thriftway shop. It sounds like most of the Belmont residents are very low income and don't have much in the way of housing options.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Similar situation near Brighton in 2010

Mobile home park residents forced to move from memories - The Denver Post

But in this case it appears the residents were offered more help with relocating than in the Belmont case.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 AM

100 posts, read 227,347 times
If you buy a Mobile Home aka Trailer it is that a "home" that is mobile it has a trailer hitch so you can drag it to the next place. You do not own the land.

They should take it as an education in home buying. You cannot buy a real home for $1,500.-$5,000. That will buy an old RV or trailer that is designed and built to be mobile. Then when they shut down your slum lords decaying rental lot it is time to move on.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,109 times
I wasn't comparing them, I just figured they're so close to one another and that it's taken a 5 years in both cases. And thanks Dreaming of Hawaii. I'll look into it.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:53 PM

100 posts, read 227,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8761 View Post
I wasn't comparing them, I just figured they're so close to one another and that it's taken a 5 years in both cases.
Reminds me of a couple of trailer parks that have closed in Boulder County.

Orchard Grove was going to close (can't remember the exact details) the “residents” organized and fought it. Then the owners could not kick them out so the owners raised rates, now the residents “cannot afford the lot rent”

Boulder mobile home park will stay

As Orchard Grove rent rises, so do residents' fears

Shady Acres Mobile Home Park

Shady Acres Mobile Home Park residents in Lafayette face dreaded move - Boulder Daily Camera

Boulder Mobile Manor

Boulder Mobile Manor redevelopment moves forward - Boulder Daily Camera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver