Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 11,634 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a pretty complex situation that I hope you guys can help me out with. I am looking to move to Denver Colorado as a medical refugee....that is my daughter has seizures and we are looking to gain access to medical marijuana to help with her seizures (as it is currently illegal here in Georgia). I also have a 5 year old son with autism. We are looking to move to the best area for both children in terms of great public/charter school districts with relevant autism services, living affordability and excellent medical care access including medical marijuana dispensaries nearby.
With that being said, what is a reasonable price that I should expect to pay for a 3 bedroom house rental/apt out in Denver-ish area in a good school district? Any suggestions/advice is very welcome!!!

- Buying or renting: Renting
- Budget or price: Want to keep it as close to $1000 as possible
- Employment situation and location: Husband works, mom looking
- School consideration: Need a great school district with awesome autism services for 5 yr old son
- Pets (especially those considering rentals): not an issue
- Urban, suburban or rural preference: not an issue for now
- Need or desire for public transportation: need option of public transportation although we will have cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Rent - 3 bed in good school district. Expect to pay $1700+

Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Rent - 3 bed in good school district. Expect to pay $1700+
I'm so glad that I came to this site so that I can get a real perspective on what I'm getting into. In Atlanta, you can find a decent place to live for around $1000/mo. give or take. If we were able to swing the $1700/month, what areas should we be looking to rent in?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Why Denver?

Colorado Springs is more affordable and has a community of parents with children like yours.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Why Denver?

Colorado Springs is more affordable and has a community of parents with children like yours.
Colorado Springs is great... so long as you don't mind a crappy job market, 18 year-old Privates who feel and act as if the whole world something (more the same with military wives), and every road other than Academy and Powers becoming a complete Slip-N-Slide at the slightest hint of snow. As an added bonus, I got to live in the vicinity of Copperhead Road, which brought its own set of headaches.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default A laborious process

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL2014 View Post
I'm so glad that I came to this site so that I can get a real perspective on what I'm getting into. In Atlanta, you can find a decent place to live for around $1000/mo. give or take. If we were able to swing the $1700/month, what areas should we be looking to rent in?
Padmapper.com will give you an idea of rents.
As for good school districts: Cherry Creek, Boulder Valley.
However, many school districts that are not good (Denver) have great schools (e.g., Slavens) in them.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
As an Atlantan with relatives in the Denver area I can tell you many of the school districts that people in the Denver area will say aren't good are head and shoulders above most City of Atlanta schools. And many of the neighborhoods they say are sketchy and you should stay away from would be just your average neighborhood in the Atlanta Metro.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
This is one school in Denver to look into Sewall Child Development Center A friend with an autistic child was very pleased with the program there.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 PM

Thank you all for the awesome insight into the Denver area!
@DavidBarnes: Thank so you much for the school district information and keepin it real with the rental expectations ")
@davidv: I hadn't really considered Colorado Springs but I think it's a great idea to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion
@Galounger: Thanks so much for the insider info. I always wondered that about the schools and "sketchy" areas mentioned. City of Atlanta schools/Dekalb county schools are pretty much bottom of the barrel so I think you're right..anything would be an upgrade!
@emm74: I will definitely look into that school. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for
@Mire: Thanks for the heads up about the job market in Colorado Springs. What industry is doing well there? My husband owns a courier business (small deliveries to and from places in/out of state as requested) and I was wondering if he would do well in that area?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL2014 View Post
@Mire: Thanks for the heads up about the job market in Colorado Springs. What industry is doing well there? My husband owns a courier business (small deliveries to and from places in/out of state as requested) and I was wondering if he would do well in that area?
Industries do alright in the Springs - it's just a matter of finding job openings. Or, rather, openings for good jobs.
As for a courier service, not really sure... not really something I looked into, although, if it doesn't pan out, he could always lease on with an expedited service like Panther II, TST, FedEx Custom Critical, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver