Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times

Advertisements

No thread about students walking out of class?

It's a bit embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
I agree it is embarrassing. Not the students walking out though, that is not the embarrassing part, but that the reason they are walking out. These students are being used by the teachers as their mouthpieces to fight the school board, and it pisses me off that teachers care more about their own struggles then they do about the students not destroying their school records.

Fact is I do agree with the teachers about history, the entire history should be taught, not just the parts that make the US look good, but that is only a part of the reason that students are walking out. Nope the other reason is that they do not feel like teachers should be graded and get raises based on performance. Now why would students care about that? Unless their teachers are teaching them that they deserve to be paid based on time and not how well they do their jobs.

I will say though that I think long term this will back fire on the teachers, and their union. People across the country are watching this and realizing just how brainwashed many of these kids are getting by their teachers. Never once did I or any of my friends worry about what or how our teachers were paid, now teachers are having kids fight their battles, and I as a parent and many others I have talked to about it are pissed.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Once more 1776

“This is going to affect all of the students in Jefferson County and across America,” he continued. “If our history textbooks are censored, we won’t have the right information. It would affect everyone’s education.” [1]

"A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support."
— Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1792

One might say the students in Jefferson County are having an advanced class in politics. Also—in a quite unintended result at least three of the five school members would not favor—some American history.

27,000 signatures have already been gathered on an online petition to stop the new school board's proposed review. With a student led initiative having quickly escalated, by Wednesday more than 700 had quit classes in search of a broader education at Chatfield, Dakota Ridge and Alameda high schools.

As one suggested, they are now "Dumbledore's Army." With ideas now to investigate and champion such as:
• Participants of the Boston Tea Party
Colorado Governor Ralph Carr
• Susan B. Anthony
• The Green Mountain militia
• Elizabeth Cady Stanton
• Molly Brown
It has even been reported that, of all things, the sheriff is investigating threats presumably made by school board members against children. If newly installed school superintendent Dan McMinimee has backpedaled somewhat in saying no formal decisions have yet been made concerning changes in curriculum, and "I respect the right of our students to express their opinions in a peaceful manner.”

What precipitated all this was an election last November that ushered in a new school board, with a conservative majority of Julie Williams, John Newkirk, and board chairman Ken Witt on the five member board. They appointed the new superintendent, Mr. McMinimee. Then, among other steps, instituted new teacher evaluations using a criteria that teachers had previously been promised would not be used.

What ignited the current unrest was a proposal by school board member Julie Williams to review and change the current Advanced Placement history curriculum, so that “Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

Which on the surface might seem fine, but part of a broader national campaign by the GOP and others to in a sense rewrite American history, or in any event reorder to better reflect their views. If no evidence to date that they've meddled in Jefferson County, but the Koch Brothers' Americans for Prosperity group spent $350,000 last November to influence school board elections in neighboring Douglas County.

History is said to be written by the victors. And certainly malleable to interpretation. Also, it seems, newly elected school boards that would have it something other than what actually occurred.

“It was a farce,” on upset mother commented. “The disrespect that WNW showed to the other two board members was obvious.” With she and other mothers now concerned for their children's education.

If, perhaps, in an unlooked for development these children now educating us.

1) 'US 'little rebels' protest against changes to history curriculum,' The Guardian
US 'little rebels' protest against changes to history curriculum | World news | The Guardian

Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I agree it is embarrassing. Not the students walking out though, that is not the embarrassing part, but that the reason they are walking out. These students are being used by the teachers as their mouthpieces to fight the school board, and it pisses me off that teachers care more about their own struggles then they do about the students not destroying their school records.

Fact is I do agree with the teachers about history, the entire history should be taught, not just the parts that make the US look good, but that is only a part of the reason that students are walking out. Nope the other reason is that they do not feel like teachers should be graded and get raises based on performance. Now why would students care about that? Unless their teachers are teaching them that they deserve to be paid based on time and not how well they do their jobs.

I will say though that I think long term this will back fire on the teachers, and their union. People across the country are watching this and realizing just how brainwashed many of these kids are getting by their teachers. Never once did I or any of my friends worry about what or how our teachers were paid, now teachers are having kids fight their battles, and I as a parent and many others I have talked to about it are pissed.

Considering most people in this country are completely clueless on history, I highly doubt they would even know the difference of a conservative vs liberal slant on history lessons. Having a slant on either side is not good.

I truly believe the teachers are behind this along with some parents. It's too bad the teachers are protected by a union because there are plenty of part timers bussing tables that would love their jobs. It's amazing how far advanced these students are that they can tell the difference and formulate these opinions for themselves and they are of the opinion that if you don't agree with something, just protest and quit. Cant wait to see how that attitude works out for them in their future. I had plenty of college professors that had their liberal slant on everything, it was lame and a joke, but I did what I did to pass and move on.

Also, this wont go over well when the teachers want more funding for education.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
I highly doubt this will affect the grades of any of these students. And it could make for a college admission essay that really rings with admission staffs at US universities.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
The JeffCO school district has been having issues for some time. Good for these students for taking a stand.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
I know I'm new here, and I'd be better off going slow, but this issue is a hot button one so I'll weigh in anyway.

This "it's the teachers union" argument is just not factually accurate (IMHO), and it is precisely why this hasn't already died down.

These kids are ticked. My evidence (statistically limited) in talking to some of these kids is that they feel completely left out of the process, including recent meetings with Jeffco Superintendent Dan McMinimee where the kids basically felt blown off. (They were told they could write letters to the board - and they feel like they aren't being listened to while on the streets, so a letter won't change that).

Witt's comments aren't helping matters, because he just keeps blaming the teachers. Many of these kids LIKE their teachers so they don't appreciate that attitude.

Personally, the salary argument bothers me, but not to the point of "riled up". I'm sure the teachers feel differently

But, it's this move in to the classroom that concerns me as the slope here is very slippery.

Here is my real concern with the new board, as evidenced by this: (The "he" in the following is Ken Witt).

""He added that the disputed history program could be eliminated if the review board decides it's not appropriate for the district, pointing to recent actions in Texas where the state education board has voted to limit the influence of Advanced Placement classes over what it considers anti-American bias in the curriculum.""

Read more at Education official says students used as 'pawns'

My objection to the above is simple. Colorado needs to be like COLORADO! Not following the lead of Texas. And cancelling the class should not even be on the table! But, clearly it is, and I see Witt's statements in that direction as a threat - and we don't need that.

For those thinking of moving here, I will say that natives in particular are not 'receptive' to people that come here and want to do things like they did at home. They don't want to a higher altitude version of Illinois, New York and especially not Texas or California. I personally like the odd mixture of hippies and ranchers I've come to find here (I'm not a native). When they compromise we get good solid government. I'd like to see that continue.

I will note that in the board meeting where this was discussed, Williams initial proposal was already being changed (watered down) considerably by Newkirk. I certainly don't agree with him on much, but he was asking to change the way this committee was created. Initially she had it proposed as each board member would nominate people and then the whole board would vote on them. Well, that would turn in to a full stacked board in the majorities favor. Heck, even our dysfunctional fed gov't doesn't do that.

Newkirk proposed that each board member would appoint 2 members. Now, that'll just get us a 6-4 committee, but at least the minority opinion would have some representation.

He also wanted to remove some of the more controversial parts of Williams initial proposal. I honestly think if Witt was pointing this out, the controversy would die down a little. (Not completely, b/c just the idea of the Board moving so much in to the classroom is objectionable to many).

Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM

387 posts, read 638,302 times
Quote:
My daughter is a student at a Jeffco High School. She has participated in protest activities at her school. She participated during her off block, and lunch. I asked her about her participation and why she chose to participate. This is what she told me:

The proposal I'm protesting says the schools need to ensure they promote respect for authority, patriotism and citizenship and do not condone civil disobedience. I have two issues with that idea. One, how in goodness sake can they avoid teaching about civil disobedience and still teach ANYTHING about the American Revolution? That was the ultimate act of civil disobedience to their rulers, the British crown. They could've been hung for the Declaration of Independence! They fired on British troops! How is that showing respect for the established authority of the time? Without civil disobedience, with blind adherence to authority, we'd still be part of Great Britain. Women would not be able to vote. Minority children would still be sent to separate, poorly funded schools, poll taxes would be in place, workers would still be working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for a dollar a day! This country is great because of civil disobedience! And they now want to take that out of the curriculum? How is that teaching us? Heck, how can they teach us WHY America is great without giving significant time to those who fought to make it great? The signers of the Declaration, Martin Luther King Jr., Elizabeth Cady Stanton, they made our country better and stronger. And this proposal, if enforced fully, would require their removal from the curriculum. I have a problem with that. And for everyone who might say we just want to skip class...I WENT TO all my classes today. This is a big deal, though, and important to me. So I didn't hang out with my buddies. I didn't go check my email or text people during my off block. I went out and did something that hopefully will MATTER. I emulated MY American heroes. People who stand up for what they believe in. And if I get in trouble for what I did in my off-block, so what? A lot worse happened to women who fought for my right to BE at this protest. This is a big deal, and I won't let the Board damage my education without a fight.

What she didn't get into, and what is a bigger issue, is that this proposal could potentially remove Jeffco Schools from the AP US History (APUSH) program. This is an internationally recognized program, and the College Board, who administers it, can remove both teachers and entire schools from the AP program for a particular course if it is not meeting the requirements of the curriculum. This would, in turn, remove the IB designation from Jeffco High Schools, since APUSH is a requirement for IB. This proposal HURTS our students, significantly. It creates a strong possibility that students cannot receive college credit at a lower cost (and with the cost of post-secondary education these days, that makes a HUGE difference!), student who have been following the IB curriculum would have all the extra work they have done for naught.

My daughter is not a mouthpiece for anyone but herself. I have taught her to think critically, and think independently, and to not be afraid to disagree (respectfully!) with her teachers, provided she can use clear logic and facts to back her arguments. I have seen her do this. I've been called to school by teachers because she would not sit back and accept what the teacher said passively.

Don't judge these students and their reasons for participating in this INCREDIBLY appropriate display of engaged citizenry. Many of these students are old enough to vote. And I appreciate their choice to become informed on issues that affect them, and their choice to participate in their constitutionally protected right to assemble peaceably. More power to them, I say!!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
My kids are long out of high school and they didn't go to Jeffco, so I don't really have "a dog in this fight". That said, I think it's a good learning experience for everyone involved. Civil disobedience is a time-honored tactic in this county. To say kids shouldn't learn about it is foolish. A lot of good things have come from civil disobedience. Look at the civil rights movement. I'm not condoning burning and looting, but I do condone Rosa Parks refusing to go to the rear of the bus, for example.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

224 posts, read 559,763 times
What ignited the current unrest was a proposal by school board member Julie Williams to review and change the current Advanced Placement history curriculum, so that “Materials should promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law.”

I would love to see an example of materials "condoning civil disorder and social strife" that Ms. Williams would seek to suppress. How are Martin Luther King's accomplishments treated in today's high school history books? Would his life be re-written to be (for example) less laudatory, or perhaps regulated to a couple of footnotes, because he condoned civil disobedience?

What would Ms. Williams have high school students learn about the history of unions in this country? Or capitalism in general - should students be left with nothing but admiration for our economic system?

It's all about critical thinking. I suppose nothing can be written completely without "slant", but to bring politics into this seems outrageously wrong. This school board seems unconcerned with letting their freak flag fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver