Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,124,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
New people, however, seem to love it here, so they might stay for a long time.
I do, and I am! LOL. I ****ing love it here. As much as I love and miss DC, you couldn't pay me to move back east.

15% humidity on a summer day in August?! Are you serious!? Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I do, and I am! LOL. I ****ing love it here. As much as I love and miss DC, you couldn't pay me to move back east.

15% humidity on a summer day in August?! Are you serious!? Denver.
Almost ten years ago, one of my first posts on here, I signed my posting: Mike from back east, and I ain't going back!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,124,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Almost ten years ago, one of my first posts on here, I signed my posting: Mike from back east, and I ain't going back!
Ha! Amen to that.

Having spent 3 years in Seattle before moving here to Denver, I was sold as soon as we first arrived here to visit. Sunshine! LOL. Not that Seattle's annual rain is that bad, but man.....it sure is overcast and "mostly cloudly" a lot. 300 days of sunshine in Denver?! Count me in lol

My wife's best friend from high school and her husband just moved here from Chicago. They had visited us several times here, and though they loved Chitown, they liked Denver better!

I wish I had more hands so everytime somebody mentions "Denver," i can put like 3 or 4 thumbs up

Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
i can put like 3 or 4 thumbs up
someone will be changing his nom de plume to broncos_fan82 soon

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM

694 posts, read 1,041,575 times
While Californians may only account for 6%, that number of people from that state constitutes the largest feeder state to Colorado.

Right now, sitting in massive traffic southbound on Parker from 225. Awesome.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 PM

529 posts, read 1,550,348 times
42% of people here are from here? WHAT? It seems like only 1 out of every 10 people I meet are actually from here.

It sure seems like there are more people from Illinois here than Texans too. It seems like surprisingly few Texans actually live here, but half of Texas comes here to ski every winter. I would've thought the percentage of Illinois transplants to have been like 8 to 10%. All the Blackhawks and Bears fans here must not be from Chicago I guess

6% Californians seems low, it seems like every 4th or 5th person in Colorado I meet is from California, but I'm sure a census of just Highlands Ranch would prove this to be true . Then again it's still the state where the highest percentage of transplants come from, and that seems accurate.

If I was asked to make an influx chart based on what I thought, it would look like this.

California=18%
East Coast (mainly NY, NC, FL and VA)=18%
Midwest(mainly IL, MI, OH, MN, NE and KS)=18%
Colorado=10%
South(mainly GA and AL)=5%
Texas=5%
PNW=3%
All Other States=23%

Last edited by JMM64; 04-22-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 AM

897 posts, read 1,254,983 times
I bet the state of CO as a whole has a lot more natives than just Denver. We all live in and around Denver, so our experience may differ from the rest of the state (which is HUGE, and has many other cities, and towns, and resorts, and mountains, and LOCALS)

Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,011,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
It doesn't matter where they are coming from as much as why. They are coming to get in the business of legal marijuana. As other states legalize it, this intense influx will begin to fade.

New people, however, seem to love it here, so they might stay for a long time.
Data is from 2012. A few years before the legalization of MJ.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:05 PM

52 posts, read 81,726 times
I'm one of the 42% that are Colorado-born, although I've actually lived here cumulatively for less than 5% of my life. Most recently I'm a migrant from Seattle, and I can't say I miss the gloom either.

Denver's traffic isn't great, but it's better than Seattle's (Denver 22nd worst, Seattle 5th worst on a recent study) and one can actually afford to live in nice neighborhoods with good schools and a short commute. In Seattle, pick 2 of 3 even on a professional's income.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
42% of people here are from here? WHAT? It seems like only 1 out of every 10 people I meet are actually from here.

It sure seems like there are more people from Illinois here than Texans too. It seems like surprisingly few Texans actually live here, but half of Texas comes here to ski every winter. I would've thought the percentage of Illinois transplants to have been like 8 to 10%. All the Blackhawks and Bears fans here must not be from Chicago I guess

6% Californians seems low, it seems like every 4th or 5th person in Colorado I meet is from California, but I'm sure a census of just Highlands Ranch would prove this to be true . Then again it's still the state where the highest percentage of transplants come from, and that seems accurate.

If I was asked to make an influx chart based on what I thought, it would look like this.

California=18%
East Coast (mainly NY, NC, FL and VA)=18%
Midwest(mainly IL, MI, OH, MN, NE and KS)=18%
Colorado=10%
South(mainly GA and AL)=5%
Texas=5%
PNW=3%
All Other States=23%
That includes children born here to non-natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver