Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 10,345 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I are white and our daughter is biracial. We currently live in Baltimore County, about 1 mile outside of Baltimore City. There is a tremendous amount of crime and racism here, and we're finally beginning to seriously research where we want to move. We decided on Colorado years ago, but trying to figure out where is daunting, to say the least. Any recommendations for suburbs of Denver that might be a good fit for us? Probably looking at around a $350,000-400,000 budget to purchase a home. Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:01 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
I'm from Charm City, been here ten years. I miss the crabcakes. I don't miss Lansdowne.

IMO the western suburbs of Denver metro area are what you'd like, though prices here are far higher than Baltimore.

Best advice we can give you will depend on where work is located; commuting sucks in Denver and you don't want a long cross region drive twice a day. Can you give us cross streets so we can advise you?

You're gonna love the dry air, lack of bugs, and lots of things to do here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:09 PM

Well we're moving for the fun of it, not being transferred for work. So the plan is to figure out where we want to live and go from there. That being the case, I have no cross-streets for you to reference. Sorry! And I don't blame you for missing one and not the other.. I certainly won't miss much about Maryland aside from family and friends. It's gotten scarier since the riots.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
I'm from HoCo, so not far from that area. We moved out last summer for a job. As the previous poster said, you need to have a general idea of a job location before posters can be of much help. I think you'll be able to find something in your price range, and I don't think you will have any racial issues.

You mentioned suburb, is that what you're looking for? A family-oriented suburban area?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 PM

Yes sorry! I like being close to the city but not in it. I lived in Baltimore City when I was in my early 20's and that was more than enough for me. I work as a Dental Hygienist and my husband is a commercial master electrician. Luckily, there are generally jobs in our field just about everywhere. So finding the location we want to live in is actually first on the agenda... The jobs will come after.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
Congrats, you are very employable which means you could likely live anywhere in the metro area. Can you refine what you would like in an area? I'm sure you want great schools. How old is your daughter? It will make a difference on suggestions for high school vs. elementary. Do you want peaceful suburb? Vibrant walkable area with older homes? Brand new construction? HOA master planned with pool etc...

Alot of the suburbs are 80% white which may bother your daughter depending on whether she is used to being surrounded by all white people. Denver and Aurora have the best statistics for multi cultural areas. However I don't think you will encounter racism anywhere. Just depends on what your comfortable with. When you move out here from a racially diverse area it can be a real shocker.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Excellent schools are a top priority, for sure. She is only 3 1/2, so elementary. I'd like somewhere safe with young families. My husband and I enjoy peace and quiet, but not seclusion. Honestly, something like a 3 bedroom 2 bath with as little as a half acre of land would be perfect. But I'd also be happy with a planned neighborhood, so long as it's family oriented. As long as our daughter won't experience hate, we're happy. In the area we're in, we get it from all sides. We just want to live somewhere peaceful where our little girl can thrive and feel accepted.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Wow. I sound like I'm all over the place.. I guess my main point is that the actual style of the house isn't as important as the community it's located in. I hope I'm making sense!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
I'm going to suggest Walnut Hills in Centennial. It is an older neighborhood so the lots are a little bigger than most. Lots are smaller out here than you are used to but you can get about a third of an acre in Walnut Hills. The schools are top rated all the way through. You are right on the rail line so access to Denver for museums, zoo, restaurants etc is super easy. You are in the DTC which is in the thick of things. Library is walking distance, restaurants, movies, post office, car repair etc all walking distance.

6829 S Roslyn Circle, Centennial, CO | MLS 6450348 | Listing Information

http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...0112-154058023

Keep in mind that anything attractive gets snapped up right away so you don't see much selection on line at any given time.

Found this one on zillow. It is under contract but is an example of what you can get if you move fast. It may go for over asking. Nice homes in your price range sometimes are bid up.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74...13133483_zpid/

Check out the low property taxes which may allow you to increase your budget.

Last edited by mic111; 07-23-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 PM

Sounds pretty perfect! Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver