Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 21,211 times

Advertisements

After having a corporate company take over an apartment complex that I had previously lived at for four years (owned by a private landlord that was always fair), they raised my rent by $250 in one month (this was in the Highlands/Wheat Ridge area). The month they took over, they sent all of us a letter saying that our previous leases would be honored. Because I was on a month-to-month lease, one month later they sent me a letter saying pay $250 more or get out. Needless to say, I couldn't make up that much of a difference and have been forced out. I just got a nice bill in the mail from them now saying they need $500 for a new paint job, even after they are withholding my deposit for "other repairs". The apartment has never been renovated since the start of when I moved in. I am willing to pay the amount I owed them for the last months rent, but this seems unreasonable to ask me to pay that much for paint. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice about definitions of "wear and tear" when it comes to lease agreements.

Last edited by kpod727; 08-12-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:33 PM

170 posts, read 222,875 times
call Tom Martino
The Trouble Shooter

Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM

572 posts, read 552,469 times
did you hang things on the walls using nails or the like? If you did - did you patch and touch the holes up?
was there other damage to the walls?

$500 is not that much for a company to pay a painter for a job painting a unit, from my experience

were the other deductions from your deposit itemized?

Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 AM

12 posts, read 9,443 times
Yes, really depends on the wall and ceiling condition. Did you smoke inside the apartment? If so, would need a Kilz primer on all surfaces before painting, killing odor and stains. And 500$ would seem very reasonable. Even if you didn't, living in one spot an extended period of time, having pictures hanging in same places for years, will leave difference where pics were hanging. If that is the case, cleaning walls with mild soap would/should help, but there again, 500$ would seem fair for cleaning wall surfaces.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
Check your lease to see if they can collect any damages beyond retaining your deposit. That can get complicated and send you in to the fine print. I've seen some (heck I wrote one) that allowed for collecting damages beyond the deposit if the damage was either intentional or from "willful neglect" or some such legalese. But, again, check that lease.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Check your lease to see if they can collect any damages beyond retaining your deposit. That can get complicated and send you in to the fine print. I've seen some (heck I wrote one) that allowed for collecting damages beyond the deposit if the damage was either intentional or from "willful neglect" or some such legalese. But, again, check that lease.
Regardless of what the lease says, the landlord is always entitled to collect for damages beyond anything retained in a damage deposit. In general, they can't collect for ordinary wear and tear, but can collect for damages or excess filth.

The question is, are they painting because of wear and tear, or because of damage/excess filth? You may need to consult a lawyer, but I would think, small nicks, scratches, or chips in the paint would be considered wear and tear. I would ask them for proof that they need to paint for anything beyond wear and tear. The burden is on them, especially since they're trying to collect beyond the damage deposit.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
I think we agree, but I'd expect it's written out in the lease just to make things easier on the landlord if they DO need to collect above the deposit amount. In this case, I just can't see the landlord getting anything above the deposit to repaint an apartment that had been leased for over 4 years to the same tenant. That's just regular maintenance to me.

It'd be different if the renter had done their own painting and it had to be returned it's pre-rental colors, or if as noted above, there were giant holes in the wall.

Frankly though I'm mostly surprised the landlord is even bothering. Unless they are just hoping to get the money because someone doesn't know any better. $500 on top of the deposit money doesn't seem like its worth the hassle.

Back to the OP. You said they kept your deposit. In doing so, pretty sure they have to list why? What does that document say?

Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Do they have any documentation proving the condition of the property when you moved in? Without this they cannot collect damages.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:46 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Do they have any documentation proving the condition of the property when you moved in? Without this they cannot collect damages.
Very true. I would also ask for a detailed itemized receipt for the work being done.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

572 posts, read 552,469 times
sometimes a lease has a section stating that the premise is in satisfactory condition upon move in...
so, I'm not sure that additional documenation beyond that would be required...

that being said -- I personally employ separate condition check-lists, with sign off by both parties to the lease, with my tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: