Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:09 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Wool overcoat?
That is for people who live in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I'm thinking he must work in finance. My husband, an IT consultant, has a lightweight rain jacket for drizzly days, and an insulated jacket for deep winter. Otherwise, it's a fleece pullover. For his feet, he has two pairs of work shoes (one dressy, one casual), one pair of running shoes, and a pair of hiking boots. His daily work uniform is a button-down long-sleeved shirt and a pair of khakis or trousers. I know he has a couple of ties hidden around here somewhere, but I haven't seen him wear one since the last time we attended a wedding. On weekends in the winter, he wears jeans and in the summer, hiking shorts. I know he has a briefcase from years ago, but he doesn't use, preferring instead to carry a computer backpack. This would be a fashion faux pas in other parts of the county, I'm sure, but it's typical for his industry.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 PM

415 posts, read 607,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why would anyone dress up to go to Target, Starbucks or Whole Foods?
Why would anyone ever want to look decent with clean hair and cloths, its beyond me....

Old 06-07-2016, 06:03 PM

511 posts, read 402,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't think skinny jeans are a specifically Colorado thing. Maybe the flannel? Hipster fashion is a very distinct style from Colorado casual. No self-respecting Hipster would ever be seen in a North Face fleece.
Indeed.

I don't think that most people use the term "hipster" correctly 95% to of the time. I hear it getting thrown around more-and-more of late even though I really don't come across many people that I'd even consider it these days.

When I lived in Portland from '08 - '12, there was a distinct set of people that fell well into that definition, but it was guys with stuff like ironic mustaches & rat tail mullets, girls capri jeans, jamming Neutral Milk Hotel, and riding fixie bikes, etc. It's not the same ballpark as the urban-yet-outdoorsy, gentrifier in flannel, "lumbersexual", whathaveyou thing... or any other Millennial-ish subculture for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
Why would anyone ever want to look decent with clean hair and cloths, its beyond me....
Just because someone is in a pair of jeans/casual pants, a tee shirt, and a set of slip ons, doesn't mean those clothes (or hair... WTF, really) isn't clean. I dress casual to go to Target, et. al., and I shower two/three times a day, trim and style my hair/beard, wash my clothes after each wearing, hang my stuff (including casual) straight out of the drier, and keep my casual shoes as fresh and clean as my dress loafers. You can be clean, groomed, and casual, you know?

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 06-07-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 06:22 PM

415 posts, read 607,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Indeed.

I don't think that most people use the term "hipster" correctly 95% to of the time. I hear it getting thrown around more-and-more of late even though I really don't come across many people that I'd even consider it these days.

When I lived in Portland from '08 - '12, there was a distinct set of people that fell well into that definition, but it was guys with stuff like ironic mustaches & rat tail mullets, girls capri jeans, jamming Neutral Milk Hotel, and riding fixie bikes, etc. It's not the same ballpark as the urban-yet-outdoorsy, gentrifier in flannel, "lumbersexual", whathaveyou thing... or any other Millennial-ish subculture for that matter.

Just because someone is in a pair of jeans/casual pants, a tee shirt, and a set of slip ons, doesn't mean those clothes (or hair... WTF, really) isn't clean. I dress casual to go to Target, et. al., and I shower two/three times a day, trim and style my hair/beard, wash my clothes after each wearing, hang my stuff (including casual) straight out of the drier, and keep my casual shoes as fresh and clean as my dress loafers. You can be clean, groomed, and casual, you know?

Exactly! You can, we agree! Thats not what I typically see here though. I just prefer a nicer cleaner look, and thats ok if others don't! I started the thread trying to find out if there were areas that were cleaner cut, that I could check out period. Not to argue about how others should dress or how many tatts they should have, or beards, or anything else. You and others enjoy causal, and thats completely fine with me. Again, I was hoping to frequent areas that "I" may enjoy more. Those areas obviously don't exist here and again thats fine. I'll either get used to it, or move. Easy enough.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:53 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Conserve water. The cows need it.

I pride myself on taking a bath every Saturday night.
Are you saying I am not clean?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
Where ever did you say anyone was unclean?

Just because someone is dressed in shorts, T-shirt and Tevas or Docs, rather than pressed khakis and a polo, doesn't mean they are dirty. Hair color and ink also is not an indication of cleanliness.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm thinking he must work in finance. My husband, an IT consultant, has a lightweight rain jacket for drizzly days, and an insulated jacket for deep winter. Otherwise, it's a fleece pullover. For his feet, he has two pairs of work shoes (one dressy, one casual), one pair of running shoes, and a pair of hiking boots. His daily work uniform is a button-down long-sleeved shirt and a pair of khakis or trousers. I know he has a couple of ties hidden around here somewhere, but I haven't seen him wear one since the last time we attended a wedding. On weekends in the winter, he wears jeans and in the summer, hiking shorts. I know he has a briefcase from years ago, but he doesn't use, preferring instead to carry a computer backpack. This would be a fashion faux pas in other parts of the county, I'm sure, but it's typical for his industry.
Everyone in Denver is carrying a backpack! You'll see bankers wearing nice suits and ties... and a backpack.
I used to get a lot of compliments on my girly Dakine backpack - black background with stylish white and pink roses, until my new employer gave me a very nice Patagonia pack with their logo on it. Yes, I'd rather carry my laptop on my back, even if it clashes a little with my ballet shoes (worn with jeans, of course).

Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 92,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
I have no clue why people would use the generalized term "west" to describe Denver's fashion. Denver and maybe 1-2 other cities in the West have a unique 5-6 month long winter that requires several different types of jackets/coats which personally took me 3 years to attain(laugh all you want but I'm middle class). In Denver, you need a $100-300 overcoat for professional attire (and good luck finding a nice wool coat under $150), then you need another expensive waterproof coat if you plan to be outdoors any(Northface, etc.), and then in October, April, May, and a few days in between you need a lighter jacket, maybe even a 4th raincoat for rainy seasons like early summer.
WHAT?!? Most people don't even wear a jacket (and definitely not an overcoat, lol) unless it's 35 degrees or less. And if it's a jacket, it's usually a puffer coat (North Face or Patagonia or a similar knockoff) or a really thick sweater or flannel.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC123 View Post
WHAT?!? Most people don't even wear a jacket (and definitely not an overcoat, lol) unless it's 35 degrees or less. And if it's a jacket, it's usually a puffer coat (North Face or Patagonia or a similar knockoff) or a really thick sweater or flannel.
I remember going to the opera, wearing a nice dress, during a snowstorm, a year or two ago. I still have a coat from my Midwestern days, but it wasn't nearly long enough to cover the length of the dress. I felt a little silly, but didn't think wearing my down ski jacket was appropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver