Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,753 times

Advertisements

First time on here and I hope I am posting in the right place. I am 21 years old, moving to Denver exactly one year from now. Both my girlfriend and I will be graduates with our accounting degrees and will obtain our CPA's shortly after. I don't see income being much of an issue but I do want to live pretty conservatively for the first year or so. I don't want to be blowing money that I don't need to. I have a few questions that hopefully the community could help me answer.
-How is the job situation out in Denver, should I worry very much about searching for a job as an accountant?
-How much will I be looking at spending monthly for a nice place in Downtown Denver?
-Are there any lakes close to Denver that are great for boating? (I've been an avid lake goer my whole life and plan to continue that.)
Truly, I'd just like to know what people like to do out there. What are the pros and cons? I am flying out there a few months before my arrival permanently and would love some suggestions of what to do. I am currently smoke pot, so I'm sure I will visit a dispensary or four, but I'm sure I'll have to quit that when I am applying at the larger companies for a job (which sucks). I'm not really a drinker but I'll sit down somewhere and have a few drinks if people say its great. Just a foreigner hoping to get some insight. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
You will be joining the masses of young (and older) people who are moving here without jobs hoping to find the Denver of your dreams.

It doesn't exist.

The job market in all areas is pretty tight and the salaries are low compared to the cost of living. That's what oversupply of labor get you.

The housing market is tighter and expensive compared to salaries. That's what too much demand gives you. Right now, to live downtown in a "nice place" you are looking at about $1500 minimum for a 1 bedroom apartment. Next year, it will probably be at least 10% high across the board.

There are no real lakes for great boating. This is a semi-arid continental steppe climate. We have grass, it is mostly brown, and water is stored in small reservoirs. Those reservoirs that are large enough for boating are crowded with people like yourself who love to boat and have little outlet.

You can find kindred spirits, because many move here for the marijuana, just as I suspect you are, but quite frankly, many are getting tired of the people moving here because they can't say no to pot.

Move to Washington. Pot is legal there too.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:29 AM

133 posts, read 149,612 times
I think you could live downtown in a nice one bedroom apartment (in a decent area) for $1500/month. That will not be luxury by any means, but it will get you an average apartment. I think accountants would do very well here - this place is growing economically. Many people are moving here so there will be competition in finding a job - but because of the growth there are many jobs in your field.

You don't say where you are moving from or what you would like culture or weather wise. I think people who come from warmer climates think it is a very cold long winter here, and people from colder climates think it is a mild winter here... so that all depends on perspective. I recently came from a warm climate and found the winter very long, cold, cloudy and just plain deary (aside from a few short lived breaks).

I think Denver would be really fun for two new college graduates.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM

556 posts, read 763,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You will be joining the masses of young (and older) people who are moving here without jobs hoping to find the Denver of your dreams.

It doesn't exist.

The job market in all areas is pretty tight and the salaries are low compared to the cost of living. That's what oversupply of labor get you.

The housing market is tighter and expensive compared to salaries. That's what too much demand gives you. Right now, to live downtown in a "nice place" you are looking at about $1500 minimum for a 1 bedroom apartment. Next year, it will probably be at least 10% high across the board.

There are no real lakes for great boating. This is a semi-arid continental steppe climate. We have grass, it is mostly brown, and water is stored in small reservoirs. Those reservoirs that are large enough for boating are crowded with people like yourself who love to boat and have little outlet.

You can find kindred spirits, because many move here for the marijuana, just as I suspect you are, but quite frankly, many are getting tired of the people moving here because they can't say no to pot.

Move to Washington. Pot is legal there too.
Holy crap dude. You're super negative. He never said anything about pot at all either. What's your deal?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Holy crap dude. You're super negative. He never said anything about pot at all either. What's your deal?
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDenver33 View Post
First time on here and I hope I am posting in the right place. I am 21 years old, moving to Denver exactly one year from now. Both my girlfriend and I will be graduates with our accounting degrees and will obtain our CPA's shortly after. I don't see income being much of an issue but I do want to live pretty conservatively for the first year or so. I don't want to be blowing money that I don't need to. I have a few questions that hopefully the community could help me answer.
-How is the job situation out in Denver, should I worry very much about searching for a job as an accountant?
-How much will I be looking at spending monthly for a nice place in Downtown Denver?
-Are there any lakes close to Denver that are great for boating? (I've been an avid lake goer my whole life and plan to continue that.)
Truly, I'd just like to know what people like to do out there. What are the pros and cons? I am flying out there a few months before my arrival permanently and would love some suggestions of what to do. I am currently smoke pot, so I'm sure I will visit a dispensary or four, but I'm sure I'll have to quit that when I am applying at the larger companies for a job (which sucks). I'm not really a drinker but I'll sit down somewhere and have a few drinks if people say its great. Just a foreigner hoping to get some insight. Thank you!
I think part of David's response is based on the fact that other than the pot thing, he really didn't seem to know much about Denver at all. For someone who has seemingly already decided he's moving here, it seems to be a pretty big decision based mainly on that.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:46 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Water is for fighting, whiskey is for drinking

Quote:
No.
You won't here.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
See below:

I think part of David's response is based on the fact that other than the pot thing, he really didn't seem to know much about Denver at all. For someone who has seemingly already decided he's moving here, it seems to be a pretty big decision based mainly on that.
Fair point, I missed that, but he did say he was quitting.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Fair point, I missed that, but he did say he was quitting.
Perhaps. I took his post to mean he was planning on quitting temporarily in order to pass a drug test, but you could be right.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,753 times
I apologize to anyone who thought I was moving there for pot.. That is not the case, I have done extensive research on the city too. I just wanted to hear what some of the locals had to say about it. Like I said, I'll be done by the time I get there. I was hoping for a more helpful and positive response, but I guess that is not what I am going to get on here. We live in a small town in Arkansas, and we have bigger city dreams. I have spent my entire 3 years in college so far doing as much research as I can about places all over the country, and I have found what I am looking for in Denver. I pretty much knew the answer to my question when I asked what the job market is like considering that I keep up with job listings and there are countless in my field, but that is beside the point. I am obviously on this forum to LEARN more about Denver, or else I would have never posted, but thanks for telling me that "I really don't seem to know much about Denver at all." I hope to live a more positive and happy lifestyle in Denver than some of you, and I am sure I will, thanks for the help!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I apologize to anyone who thought I was moving there for pot.. That is not the case, I have done extensive research on the city too. I just wanted to hear what some of the locals had to say about it. Like I said, I'll be done by the time I get there. I was hoping for a more helpful and positive response, but I guess that is not what I am going to get on here. We live in a small town in Arkansas, and we have bigger city dreams. I have spent my entire 3 years in college so far doing as much research as I can about places all over the country, and I have found what I am looking for in Denver. I pretty much knew the answer to my question when I asked what the job market is like considering that I keep up with job listings and there are countless in my field, but that is beside the point. I am obviously on this forum to LEARN more about Denver, or else I would have never posted, but thanks for telling me that "I really don't seem to know much about Denver at all." I hope to live a more positive and happy lifestyle in Denver than some of you, and I am sure I will, thanks for the help!
Don't let some folks get you down, some people are just unhappy / bitter. I'm a recent transplant from Los Angeles and it's been wonderful. We love it here and couldn't be happier. That being said, I'm at a different stage of my life having a wife and kids. That being said, my single buddy absolutely loves the capitol hill area and what it has to offer for non-married folks. If you're thinking family down the lines, the southern suburbs are wonderful.

Good luck with your continued research and move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver