Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 8,120 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

We are planning to buy a house in South Aurora neighborhood. My older son will be assigned to the Liberty Middle School. After I read all the bad reviews I found on the Internet about this school, I got pretty concerned.
Another option for us is the Falcon Creek Middle School, but it's considered as a school of choice, not the assigned school.

Does anyone have kids at the Liberty? How's atmosphere there? Bad bullying? Terrible lunches? Or reading reviews on the Internet is a really bad idea? :-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 03:44 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
I've known several families that sent their children to Liberty... I haven't heard anything particularly terrible. In any case I'm personally of the opinion that it is best for children to go to their neighborhood school unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with it. Going to the neighborhood school and walking or taking the bus makes forming relationships easier. In middle school this is particularly important as this is a difficult time in child development and it is important for children at this age to begin to go do things with friends without supervision.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,121,826 times
Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true...

People review places they hate, and to a lesser extent, places they love.

Visit the school and talk to the administrators. Be frank about your concerns. It is probably too late to use school of choice for next year. Applications were due last April 1 or so for in district transfers.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
I don't know anything about the particular schools, but I would not buy a house under the assumption you'll get in via choice to a school you aren't zoned for. There is never a guarantee. And particularly if you are talking about a move now, the choice process for the year is closed and while your zoned school has to provide a seat if you live in the boundary, if a school you want to choice into is full, they will not admit your son.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
Quote:
Or reading reviews on the Internet is a really bad idea? :-)
There ya go. It depends on who writes the reviews and you just don't have that information. Sometimes it's the same disgruntled student/parent writing multiple reviews. I'm curious if you read any negative reviews about Falcon Creek.

Liberty is usually ranked a couple of steps higher than FC on the school rating sites. FWIW I live pretty close to Liberty though my neighborhood is zoned for Fox Ridge. I don't recall hearing any negative comments about Liberty from neighborhood gossip. One thing - I do have the impression that the majority of Liberty's population is pretty well off. Other middle schools in the area seem to be a little more mixed. If this matters...

Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Thank you guys. I haven't realize it's too late for a school of choice anyway. But I agree that going to the same school with the neighbor kids is the best.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I live in the area. Neither school is bad from what I can tell. Don't take reviews too seriously. This is a good area with decent to good schools.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I live in the area. Neither school is bad from what I can tell. Don't take reviews too seriously. This is a good area with decent to good schools.
So glad to hear this! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: