Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rank Denver's spring?
Warmer than other places 3 7.50%
Cooler than other places 10 25.00%
About half and half 10 25.00%
Just too unpredictable 21 52.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:55 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,749 times

Advertisements

Here is a poll about Denver spring weather. I am trying to get a feel about what to expect this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
None of the above, because Colorado really doesn't have a traditional "spring." Weather patterns in the spring months in Colorado are basically a battle between wintertime and summertime weather patterns. That clash can bring heavy snow one day and 80 degree temperatures the next (or vice versa). That same clash is what causes violent tornado weather in the Plains states in the spring--cold dry air masses from the Rockies or Canada colliding with warm humid air from the Gulf of Mexico. People looking for quiet, placid, even-tempered, benign spring weather should not live in Colorado--it doesn't happen that way.

Trivia note: The heaviest one-day snowfall in Colorado history occurred in the mountains west of Boulder (Silver Lake, to be exact) in APRIL (April 14-15, 1921, 87 inches in 27 1/2 hours--read about it here: http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/...81-02-0038.pdf ).

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
This weekend certainly was interesting. My flip flops are covered in ice on my front porch! Shorts and sun one day. Blizzard-looking conditions the next. I'm just glad I only got an inch or so at my house.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^^ It will go on this way for the next 6 wks or so.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^ It will go on this way for the next 6 wks or so.
Springtime in the Rockies. . .

Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
Be happy it's not springtime in the Canadian Rockies, though. Although it sounds like it Colorado can get snow every month of the year, we have experienced snow every month of the year here too. Our Spring though (although unseasonably warm this year and we have had temps similar to Denver) does seem to bring huge dumps of snow in March, April, May too. Nothing begins to bud until June and trees aren't in full bloom til mid-June (at least where we live). And temps in the mid-80s in spring? Only if we're VERY lucky and just a few sporadic days at that. I now keep the little temperature icon on my computer (one for Denver, one for here in Calgary) to monitor the differences in weather. Looks like we are warmer by ten degrees right now

Although I care about the environment, as long as we're living in Canada, I am not complaining too much about global warming

Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM

261 posts, read 705,095 times
Don't plant anything until after Mother's Day, no matter how nice the weather seems, trust me!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
Be happy it's not springtime in the Canadian Rockies, though. Although it sounds like it Colorado can get snow every month of the year, we have experienced snow every month of the year here too. Our Spring though (although unseasonably warm this year and we have had temps similar to Denver) does seem to bring huge dumps of snow in March, April, May too. Nothing begins to bud until June and trees aren't in full bloom til mid-June (at least where we live). And temps in the mid-80s in spring? Only if we're VERY lucky and just a few sporadic days at that. I now keep the little temperature icon on my computer (one for Denver, one for here in Calgary) to monitor the differences in weather. Looks like we are warmer by ten degrees right now

Although I care about the environment, as long as we're living in Canada, I am not complaining too much about global warming
It's never snowed in Denver in July or August, and although I've heard rumors from long ago, I've never seen snow in June - or even a frost. The latest snow I've seen is the first week of May (and it was just a little on rooftops that melted by 9 a.m.) and the last week of September.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's never snowed in Denver in July or August, and although I've heard rumors from long ago, I've never seen snow in June - or even a frost. The latest snow I've seen is the first week of May (and it was just a little on rooftops that melted by 9 a.m.) and the last week of September.
We've had snow in late May this decade -- I think maybe Memorial Day, 2002 perhaps? That time, It snowed overnight, but was gone by 9am as the day warmed up well into the 70s. That's the latest I've ever seen in Denver at any rate. The Denver Post will always tell us that the latest snow on record is June 5th, but that was far before my time.

For all practical purposes, Denver's snow season is done sometime in late April. Yes, there is usually a late dose of nighttime snow thereafter, but if you blink, you'll miss the snow, so that hardly counts unless you're gardening or something.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
It snowed in Boulder on June 4, 2005, the day my daughter graduated from high school. It turned to rain later in the day. It also snowed about that date in 1998. The "first snow, last snow" dates are very local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver