Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 AM

18 posts, read 25,907 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Denver this weekend on a last-minute trip, and will also probably be moving back to the area this summer.

I'm a pizza fanatic and wanted to check out any really good Chicago style THIN crust pizza places while I'm back there. Yes, I know Chicago deep dish is the more well-known style, and I like it too, but I really prefer Chicago style thin crust.

Something similar to Giordano's in Chicago, or Zachary's Pizza in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I already know about Patxi's. We have them here in the Bay Area and while I really like their deep dish, their thin crust version isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

I also like some of the New York style thin crust pizzas, and I'll check them out after I move back there, but this is specifically a weekend hunt for the best Chicago style THIN crust pizza I can find in Denver

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 AM

255 posts, read 200,217 times
Wyman's

Best in town IMO.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:43 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,568 times
Good Luck and let me know if you find any.
Here is what I thought was funny. Even OLD CHICAGO PIZZA doesn't make Chicago Style Pizza anymore. We went to the one off Wadsworth in Lakewood and they laughed at me when i asked. We used to go all the time In Minnesota. Always had the deep heaping Chicago Style Pie. They told me they don't sell enough. I thought ti was stupid to be called Old Chicago then and not sell Chicago style pizza anymore. So they basically sell crappy pizza and wings now like everywhere else. It is like when i lived in Charlotte and there were NY PIZZA joints on every corner. BUT non of it was like real authentic pizza off the street. People would always tell me that Im not from NY how would I know. SO i give them the benefit of the doubt. But I have spent a ton of time traveling and staying in Chicag having some of the best ive had, so I do feel like I have the qualifications to judge the pie.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:45 AM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
coming from chicago, pizza here is... not great. patxi's is good, but i go to jimano's in englewood for chicago-style, square-cut thin crust pizza. they're based out of chicago, but for whatever reason have one location here in colorado. i had heard rumors of giordano's opening a location here, but nothing yet.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 AM

63 posts, read 64,415 times
Parisi and North Italia both have great thin crust.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
coming from chicago, pizza here is... not great. patxi's is good, but i go to jimano's in englewood for chicago-style, square-cut thin crust pizza. they're based out of chicago, but for whatever reason have one location here in colorado. i had heard rumors of giordano's opening a location here, but nothing yet.
Patxi's deep dish isn't anything like Lou Malnati's or Giordanos. Similar concept, but the crust was very bland. I know Lou's uses butter in their crust -- not sure on Giordano's though.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Patxi's deep dish isn't anything like Lou Malnati's or Giordanos. Similar concept, but the crust was very bland. I know Lou's uses butter in their crust -- not sure on Giordano's though.
tbh, i've basically given up on pizza out here, at least compared to what i grew up on in chicago. i'll make it at home sometimes, or get a thin crust from jimano's. a friend shipped me a box of lou malnati's pies as an xmas gift last year. sadly, though, they're just a faint and disappointing reminder of what actual deep-dish pizza tastes like. instead i get my fix when i'm back in chicago visiting family.

here's that article on giordano's coming to denver. they're my number one when i'm in chicago, following by uno's and lou malnati's.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundele View Post
tbh, i've basically given up on pizza out here, at least compared to what i grew up on in chicago. i'll make it at home sometimes, or get a thin crust from jimano's. a friend shipped me a box of lou malnati's pies as an xmas gift last year. sadly, though, they're just a faint and disappointing reminder of what actual deep-dish pizza tastes like. instead i get my fix when i'm back in chicago visiting family.

here's that article on giordano's coming to denver. they're my number one when i'm in chicago, following by uno's and lou malnati's.
I feel like there's enough IL transplants for a Giordanos out here. That and a Portillos. You could easily have 3 locations: One up in the Broomfield/Boulder corridor, one downtown Denver and one on the south side near Centennial/Highlands Ranch. They'd make a killing.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:57 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Pizza will just be different here because of the altitude. I am a fan of Anthony's but that is not Chicago style.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:53 AM

18 posts, read 25,907 times
Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I'll check out some of these places this weekend. Especially Jimano's. I checked the pictures on their Yelp entry, and their thin crust looks similar to what I'm used to with Zachary's, Giordano's, etc.

And I agree @mundele - if I want to get a real Chicago pizza fix, I'll just need to hop a plane to Chicago for a weekend getaway.

I remember seeing that article about Giordano's maybe coming to Denver a year or two ago, but it looks like they never actually opened a store. They did open one in Las Vegas (last summer I think?) so Vegas is always a close and cheap option also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver