Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 62,538 times

Advertisements

(Originally posted in the Austin forum)

Originally from the Northeast and having lived in Austin since 2012, my job is pushing for me to relocate to the growing downtown Denver office. Has anyone made this move and what was your experience like?

A little background info..
In my early 30's, recently engaged (no kids), love the outdoors (especially skiing/snowboarding). It would be an all expense paid move and cost of living salary adjustment. My challenge is that I bought a home two years ago in south central Austin which I put a ton of work into it and money, really enjoy the city even with struggles it faces, and currently work from home with occasional business trips. Denver would mean working out of the office more, dealing with winters (love to ski, not a fan of cold otherwise), housing is more expensive, and not sure what to do with my house (rent or sell) since its appreciating in value nicely.

Any thoughts on similar experiences or advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
1. If you are mentally prepared to be a landlord, rent out the Austin house.
Only do it if you:
a. think you will return to Austin within a few years.
b. can be cash flow positive. That is: rent > mortgage (inc taxes) + management fee + sinking fund for repairs/maintenance

2. If you would buy in Denver, what would be your budget?

3. If you plan to rent. Budget?, pets (dogs (breed?), cats)?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM

1. I think I can be cash flow positive or at least break even once all is said and done and allow the house to appreciate and pay itself off. Ideally I'd like to rent it for a year then determine if I like Denver enough to buy and stay long term.
2. I wouldn't buy immediately and would give it at least a year
3. My budget is ~$2000-2500 a month and as close to downtown as possible. I'd be okay with a townhouse or condo as a renter. I don't currently have any pets to tank into the equation.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:21 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
IF you don't have to move, why not stay in Austin?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
IF you don't have to move, why not stay in Austin?
Good question.. it wasn't proposed as something that I had to do but my company is moving almost everyone else to that office as well. The question I'm not sure of is will I be slowly phased out if I don't go to Denver.. I think Denver would be a great opportunity and I would also request additional leadership to make it worthwhile

Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I think your budget is realistic and so is the idea to rent for a year and see how you like it. At that point, you can decide whether you like Denver enough to want to stay and if so, whether to keep renting or to sell the house in Austin.

and fwiw, winters really aren't that bad. We get a few spells of really cold weather and a few snow storms. But most of the time, it's not unpleasant to be out of doors even all through the winter. But of course you'll have to decide for yourself if your definition of not unpleasant is the same as mine - I was coming from Boston, so a bit different frame of reference! lol!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Look at Studio - 2 Bed Apartments | Highland Place
Easy bus ride to downtown.
Lots of "stuff" nearby.
Easy access to I-70.

Smaller units, better location is https://www.renttennysonplace.com/Ap...Bid%5D/211539/

I live within 1.6 blocks of the latter place and love it.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Just do it ! you will love the four seasons

Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 AM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Enjoying life is paramount to being happy so if you are enjoying life right now where you are I would probably stay.

If you do decide to come to Denver, I like others would rent out the house and see what you think after 12 months.

You should be fine finding a townhome/apartment with your budget.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 26,185 times
so I'll take the other side of the discussion - what do you like about Austin that might keep you there? If your love for outdoors, skiing, snowboarding beat out the vibe/music/BBQ/Tex-Mex of Austin then move. Your budget will work here and as you know Austin is appreciating in value (slower than Denver) so you should get a return on your house.

Denver is great for it's lack of humidity, and outdoors within a few hours (everyone is headed to the Mtn on the weekends so traffic sucks!)... buts its not SoCo for what its worth-its trying though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: