Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 AM

401 posts, read 487,408 times

Advertisements

Money magazine just voted Broomfield, CO as one of the best places to retire if you are the outdoorsy type. Here is the article

Best Places to Retire 2017 | Money

What do you all think about Broomfield being a good place to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
Yes it is , Bring plenty of money . Make sure you have had a fortunate life in your financial planning . You will love it.
If you have lived in the right time, right place, right industry, right country,to accumulate plenty of equity, wealth, 401K , investments, dividends and your Education/ career has propelled you up the socio-economic ladder to pay off your student loans. If you did not suffer set backs through out the boom and bust business cycles of the past.You will love it !
if not then try Pueblo......

Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Well, Money always used to pick Louisville to live, so not surprising.
We have friends who retired in Broomfield from New Jersey and Illinois.
The NJ couple went from $36,000 in annual real estate taxes to $3,600.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Well, Money always used to pick Louisville to live, so not surprising.
We have friends who retired in Broomfield from New Jersey and Illinois.
The NJ couple went from $36,000 in annual real estate taxes to $3,600.
$36,000 wow!!! I can't even imagine paying that much in taxes, crazy! I thought we were better off with taxes here when we moved from Illinois but that is amazing!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Broomfield is only great for retirement if you want to stare at the Flatirons and go shopping. There really isn't a whole lot out there - it's also windy as well and has bad cell phone coverage. Good proximity to Boulder though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
$36,000 wow!!! I can't even imagine paying that much in taxes, crazy! I thought we were better off with taxes here when we moved from Illinois but that is amazing!
Believe it. My Dad has wasted so much money by choosing to retire in NJ.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM

[quote=N610DL;49847863]Broomfield is only great for retirement if you want to stare at the Flatirons and go shopping. There really isn't a whole lot out there - it's also windy as well and has bad cell phone coverage. Good proximity to Boulder though.

It does have good proximity Boulder it also has some decent trail system it connects too, actually, if you go east you can go out and connect to the trails that lead to downtown Denver pretty easily. They are also planning on a new walkable downtown area that looks like if it comes through would be pretty nice.

On the other side, they are fighting some fracking issues right now which could be problematic in the future.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for, there are some nice areas right next door to Broomfield that are more affordable.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM

80 posts, read 94,638 times
Retiring in Broomfield, or anywhere else in the Colorado front range, is a great idea if you like lots of traffic and crowds. The entire area has grown too much and there is no relief in sight for traffic gridlock that gets worse by the day (see article about this in last Sunday's Denver Post). As for hiking and the outdoors that is nearby, that also has become too crowded and is no fun anymore. Too many have discovered Colorado, how could they rate Broomfield as a great place to retire?

Old 10-17-2017, 05:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Bloomfield a 'best' choice for Outdoor Centric retirement?

Do those pics look like they were taken in Broomfield? (actually ONLY 30 miles away!!!!) (Do you REALLY want to drive 30 miles to 'enjoy' outdoor centric retirement?) And fight thousands of others attempting to 'enjoy' the same thing.

With the stated criteria.. where else could you find a $370k median home price that is SMACK DAB in the CENTER of recreation?... Probably only about 100 places in Colorado alone... of course you could also choose 100's of places in other states that are far closer to recreation at 1/2 the price (sometimes important in retirement... 1/2 the price helps a LOT on 1/2 the taxes & 1/2 the utilities & 1/2 the maint. Just thing that retirees MIGHT consider important.

In retirement... It is SO NICE to view the mtns / wilderness that is just outside your door. (When you are too ill or weak to get out to enjoy the surrounds). Seek a place of comfort, relaxing, quiet, and good access to culture and services.

Bloomfield? ... doubt it... unless maybe if you are fleeing an even BIG(ger) city.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-17-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
I will post some pictures taken today in Broomfield. But these aren't the only trails available. Just the ones I walked on today. The thing that the article doesn't mention is that the entire Denver metro area is loaded with gorgeous parks and trails. So if you want to avoid the crowds just go on your local trails. Also the article mentions driving to places from Broomfield. This is also the same for the entire metro area. So to an certain extent the article is silly. However some of the points against it are also a bit silly. Because the area is gorgeous! And while the entire metro area is expensive if you want a nice house, you can also live in a trailer park and have access to the exact same trails and amenities.

Pics from today:

If I'd known this post was coming up I would have taken equally breathtaking pictures yesterday while walking around Eastlake in Thornton. Or similarly gorgeous pictures this last weekend at Adams County Regional Park. Or some beautiful pictures over at the reservoir in Anthem in Broomfield. But I didn't. I just happened to see this post before my morning walk today so decided to snap some pics with my cell phone.

I have no idea why they singled out Broomfield for retirees. Things are similar in any of the area communities. But I can say the I often see elderly 70s and 80s people out riding their bikes, walking for fitness or walking the dog. There are some older gentlemen who ride in a group although I only saw singles today. And there are some older ladies who I see very regularly (as in every day) out walking. The trails are seldom crowded. Especially on week days. Just a hand full of people. On weekends they aren't bad either.

It does seem to me that the north side of Denver doesn't yet have the overcrowding and super competitive driving that the south side now has. Likely because we haven't gotten rail yet so aren't as trendy. But rail is coming soon and lots of things are being built.

But to answer the OPs question, I think the area is a good choice for retirement if you like to get outside alot. However I also think it is a great place to live, retired or not. I don't know that it has any special extra appeal for retirees, rather it (the Denver metro area, not just Broomfield) is great for all life stages. Which to me is the nicest as I don't really want to live in an area that is over weighted with retirees.

Double wide in trailer park adjacent to trail system.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...38_rect/14_zm/

Condo very close to lake.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/15_zm/

Family home close to the lake.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...46_rect/15_zm/

Family home adjacent to trail system leading to the lake.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...18_rect/15_zm/

Country home on an acre, walking distance to the lake.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...97_rect/14_zm/

House over looking the lake.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...21_rect/15_zm/

People living in all the dwellings can walk to and around the same lake. This is what makes the area so great. You don't have to be extremely wealthy to enjoy the great lifestyle.

Last edited by mic111; 10-17-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Yes it is , Bring plenty of money . Make sure you have had a fortunate life in your financial planning . You will love it.
If you have lived in the right time, right place, right industry, right country,to accumulate plenty of equity, wealth, 401K , investments, dividends and your Education/ career has propelled you up the socio-economic ladder to pay off your student loans. If you did not suffer set backs through out the boom and bust business cycles of the past.You will love it !
if not then try Pueblo......
Are people supposed to feel guilty if they were able to save for a comfortable retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver