Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

20 posts, read 13,340 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now and have definitely been learning a lot about the Denver Metro. I live in the frozen tundra known as Minnesota but am looking to relocate to the Denver Metro area after this school year.

My brother lives in Breckenridge so I've been on a handful of trips to the area and absolutely fell in love. I've done a huge amount of research on the school districts in the area and obviously the best ones are Cherry Creek and Boulder Valley, as well as the ones that pay the most which I am highly interested in (I'm poor, I'm a teacher!).

I guess what I'd like to know is what are my odds off landing and elementary job in either of those two districts considering that I am a 26 y/o male with 4th years of teaching experience as well as a bunch of coaching experience and great references? I've heard it's really tough to get into these districts because everyone out there wants to get in as well for the pay and relative stability. I'd love to be able to earn the salary at these two districts to help me afford the COL out there. I do plan on having a roomie.

Another quick thought: I want to get the big city experience coming from small town Minnesota. What would my commute time be if I lived in Denver proper and commuted to these districts. Seems like 20 minutes or so to CCSD schools or 30-40 to BVSD schools. Do people do that? That's my dream scenario. Let me know what you think, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
Apply and find out if you can get in. Neither district is wedded to people from Colorado. Out of state teachers move in all the time.

Littleton Public Schools are very good too.

As for commutes, CCSD starts early for elementary and late for HS and is somewhat closer depending on the school. You could live in Central Denver and commute to either (young people do it), but the commute to a CCSD school is more like 30-60 min. depending on the school. Double that time for snow.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,720 times
CCSD is the best but can be tough to get in the door... it should help that you have experience. Are you more worried about pay or the difficulty of the school? If you want easy schools Dougco is a better fall back especially with the new board... If difficulty is not a factor DPS and APS have better pay.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Yeah that's what I've heard so CCSD is easily choice #1. I'm more worried about pay I guess as I'm pretty easy going and can adapt to whatever climate the school is. But good teacher support is a plus too for sure. What do you mean by difficulty of the school? Tough students?

Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM

401 posts, read 487,733 times
Denver to Boulder can be a bit of a hike when driving at rush hour. It may be a 45 minute drive each way. We do need teachers here especially good teachers. I would start checking the school websites to see what kind of jobs are available.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Thanks. Oh I've been checking every day and there's nothing yet, I've read around March or so they typically start hiring for the following school year. Anyone know how long it takes to receive your Colorado teaching license. I need to get on that.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbaune09 View Post
Thanks. Oh I've been checking every day and there's nothing yet, I've read around March or so they typically start hiring for the following school year. Anyone know how long it takes to receive your Colorado teaching license. I need to get on that.
If you meet all their requirements it doesn't take long at all. The whole process can be done online in 20min or so if you have all your stuff together.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbaune09 View Post
Yeah that's what I've heard so CCSD is easily choice #1. I'm more worried about pay I guess as I'm pretty easy going and can adapt to whatever climate the school is. But good teacher support is a plus too for sure. What do you mean by difficulty of the school? Tough students?
Difficulty of students/socioeconomics but also freedom to do what you want in the classroom.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:42 AM

235 posts, read 355,810 times
Your problem won't be with getting a job (https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/1...ortage-crisis/), but with finding affordable housing. If you're OK with living with a bunch of roommates, you'll be better off.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Your problem won't be with getting a job (https://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/1...ortage-crisis/), but with finding affordable housing. If you're OK with living with a bunch of roommates, you'll be better off.
It's absolutely doable on a teacher salary without roommates... but you won't end up in the trendy neighborhoods, nor the nicest places, nor have an abundance of spending money...

In Colorado starting as a teacher is a solidly lower middle class blue collar living, not the white collar work it is in some regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver