Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Kind of an offbeat question, but I do need a local-knowledge answer.

I just sort of noticed that my house seems to have no customer-side water main valve. It's a 1978 Summer Valley Ranch model, so I'm hoping to tap some of the owner/former owner knowledge.

Is my only shutoff out at the streetside meter/service valve? Does that mean I'd better check it out and get a street key from HD real soon? (Noticed long valve keys there last week, front and center in the plumbing section... haven't seen them except in dusty corners for a long time, most places I've lived.)

And why do I have a weird little meter on a (rubber conduit) stick right up at the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 03:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
There should be a shut off of some kind inside the house. Look around the Hot Water heater, Often they are in that area.

The rubber conduit little meter, allow them to read the meter from the outside your house.

The Newer ones are Setup for Drive By Reading, the meter reader does not need to go to the little meter to read it.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:19 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
If it has a finished basement, there could be a little covered compartment in one of the closets that opens up and the access is inside there. I know someone who has a set up along those lines.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM

So am I correct in thinking that there *has* to be a house valve somewhere - that this time and place wasn't excepted from that nearly universal code requirement?

Nothing in the furnace/water heater closet. I have a couple of weird access panels, but both are towards the back of the house (away from the water service entrance) and between the two floors. Will look some more - I think this basement was owner-finished, and it has some... quirks.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:28 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
It been code for a inside shut off of the main for "Ever" I guess there might be some home that were built in the 1800's or very Early 1900's that might not.

Most of the time the Water Main shut off is very close to the point the water line comes into the house. Often right before the meter.

(And if the plumber was good, s/he put a shut off on the output side of the meter also, to allow for a meter replacement with out draining the pipes in the house).

Old 01-27-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
It been code for a inside shut off of the main for "Ever"
That's certainly my understanding.

House has had a string of indifferent owners, after being first owned by a capable but quirky type. I may have to probe/dig/use a flex camera to find the stupid valve.

But at least I'm pretty sure it's here somewhere. Thanks, all.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:19 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Did you recently purchase the home and did you have an inspection? If so, perhaps you could contact the inspector to see if he/she could tell you where the shutoff is?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Did you recently purchase the home and did you have an inspection? If so, perhaps you could contact the inspector to see if he/she could tell you where the shutoff is?
Yes, and I have a 60-page report to look at, too. Good point... thanks!

Old 01-29-2018, 01:49 PM

401 posts, read 487,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, and I have a 60-page report to look at, too. Good point... thanks!
The inspection report/call the inspector would be my suggestion too

Old 01-29-2018, 05:39 PM

Yep, the inspection report had it - thanks for pointing me that way. (Even if I did miss it with a PDF search and have to ask the inspector anyway... sigh.)

There's a reason I didn't find it. Ir's right where it should be, just inside the basement wall on a dead line with the street valve. In the dead space below the entry landing. Behind the understairs closet. With the access at the back of the closet. Meaning if you have anything much in the closet, access to the valve is severely impeded. I think most houses with this setup put the access door in the adjacent wall, where it may not be very pretty but sure makes that space more useful for junk storage and, oh yeah, water valve access.

Arrrgh. Another project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver