Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

Why not look for a roommate situation? It's a good way to get established in a new place because it's easier to get to know people, and it's a good way to save some money - the traditional way to afford living in a more expensive area, as a matter of fact, which is what Denver has become. Relatively speaking, at least, it's not like NYC or San Francisco of course, but pricier than lots of other places, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 PM

37 posts, read 53,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namegoeshere111 View Post
Left Tampa for Denver Metro a year ago working in Transportation field. Try and keep a longer term view in perspective. The job market here is bigger and more competitive but your prospects will be better here to get to where you want to be, whatever that is. Tampa’s problems with traffic, climate, poor planning are legacy issues that there is no will to try and solve. Great to visit, average at best quality of life. Denver excels in quality of life and your salary is adequate to get you going here.
Wow interesting. How is Denver in comparison to Tampa for you? Also, can you elaborate on my prospects being better in Denver?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,212,165 times
I think it somewhat depends on the individual. I make slightly less than that and do okay in Denver, but there are a few other factors. I have no debt of any kind (student loans, car payment, credit card debt, etc.) I've also been in my current apartment for five years, and therefore pay a few hundred less per month than those who are just moving in. The housing market does concern me a lot and I don't understand how "average" people here buy houses. It does seem like you have a lot better chance for salary advancement though, so maybe that's not a concern for you.

I'm not a very materialistic person and don't spend a lot of money on "things." I do like to go out to eat and go out on weekends, but I'm not going to the most expensive places or anything like that. If I really budget carefully and nothing unexpected comes up, I can save anywhere from $500-800 per month.

Especially at your age, I second looking into a roommate situation. Even if you only do the roommate thing for a year, you'll be able to save a ton of money. When I first moved to CO right out of college, I figured I'd get my own place for the first year, and then move in with a roommate when I met more people and found someone I wanted to live with.

This ended up being a big mistake because after having my own place, I could never go back to roommates. I think if I would have gotten a roommate right away, I would have just accepted that this is what young people do and it wouldn't have seemed like as big of a deal. I could have saved up thousands with only paying half the costs of rent/utilities.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:53 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
Hi all,

I want some financial advice. I have been offered a job as an engineer in Denver for $60,000 before taxes. I turn 23 years old next month. I currently live in Tampa, Florida. I have a current job as an engineer making $55,000 a year before taxes. Here's the thing, I would definitely like to live in Colorado, but I am worried about the expenses and if I'll be making enough money there while still saving a decent amount each month. I am aware that Colorado has a state tax which Florida does not have. From calling around different apartment complexes, it seems the going rate for a 1 bedroom is around $1200/month. Also, I should mention I am single and therefore would be making the move by myself. I am looking for a change in my environment and a fresh start from where I live currently, but it's also a big deal that I am able to save a good amount of money (~1500/month) wherever I live. I don't have immediate debt anywhere and I own my car. The job itself is in Centennial. Any advice?
$60,000 is reasonable for a recent college graduate in Denver. I moved there for a new job when I got out of graduate school back in the 90s. I also did multiple internships in there and spent a summer at CU Boulder. I lived in Denver for about four years. I was thriving greatly in the job market in the late 90s with high pay and promotions for the time. Then it crashed. By spring of 2002 I was just doing hard labor at construction sites for daily pay. It was like the scene with Peter in "Office Space" at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczkA_cULYk

The "cons" against Denver are (1) reliability of the job market and (2) rising housing costs. For me, the job market crashed in my field of engineering back in 2001. It was horrible. I got desparate and the only job I could find was in Florida. I moved from Denver to Tallahassee in 2002 (reluctantly) since it was the only option. I ultimately lived in Florida for about fourteen years - mostly in Tallahassee. But I also worked in Fort Lauderdale.

The cost of living in Denver is about the same as Fort Lauderdale. Some parts of the city are less expensive and great for new college graduates: Aurora, Westminster, Arvada, Lakewood, and Lo Do come to mind. Other parts are more expensive. Housing and traffic can be a problem in some areas. My favorite part for summer internships was Lakewood. But I also lived in Boulder, Wesminster, and Broomfield.

I was a mountain runner in my prime back then. I loved the mountain trails and "14ers" of Colorado: Longs Peak, Mt. Bierstadt, Pikes Peak, Mt. Elbert, etc. I hated to leave in 2002. Florida was mostly flat and humid. I was out-of-place as a mountain runner.

For a guy, the one advantage the I-4 corridor and much of Florida has that Boulder/Denver do not have would be the gender ratio - the men far outnumber the women in Denver. It is known as "Menver". I was pretty much invisible in Boulder/Denver during my time there in the late 90s to early 2000s. By contrast, I had many chances to date at FSU and ultimately had a southern blonde girlfriend who was very beautiful. It was never like that for me in Boulder or Denver. One of the most famous comedy scenes about dating rejection was filmed in Colorado's mostly male mountain towns - "So you're telling me there's a chance"? LOL. For every 2 guys dating in Denver, there are 3-5 going through situations like this rejection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

As for me, I moved back to Phoenix last year. I was happy to leave Florida. But the one part I liked was Central FL - that I-4 corridor was ideal for local FSU/UF graduates. I went to graduate school again over there and know both Gainesville and Tallahassee very well. It was flat, humid, but the dating was much better for guys - lol. If there is an undergraduate guy dateless at CU Boulder on Fridays, then he should just go to graduate school in Florida - LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pj2zV5FdYU

Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 53,126 times
I don't really have any debt either at the moment. I would definitely like to stay that way. I am not opposed to considering a roommate, the only issue being is that I am all the way in Florida and would pretty much need a place to stay from day one of moving there. I do have one close friend there but he lives in Fort Collins at the moment. Honestly from reading everything here it sounds like Denver is not really the place to settle down for the rest of your life and buy a house, unless you just end up striking riches with your career. I am not bothered THAT much by it because I feel like those things are so far ahead of me right now.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:39 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,032,027 times
It all depends on your lifestyle. I think you will be ok here. Change won't keep you in Tampa! Go for it! You're young and they're no wrong decisions. Come if you don't like it , you can move somewhere else. Grow man!

Old 06-08-2018, 12:49 PM

121 posts, read 155,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtigers View Post
I don't really have any debt either at the moment. I would definitely like to stay that way. I am not opposed to considering a roommate, the only issue being is that I am all the way in Florida and would pretty much need a place to stay from day one of moving there. I do have one close friend there but he lives in Fort Collins at the moment. Honestly from reading everything here it sounds like Denver is not really the place to settle down for the rest of your life and buy a house, unless you just end up striking riches with your career. I am not bothered THAT much by it because I feel like those things are so far ahead of me right now.
I got an Airbnb for a few weeks when I moved to Sacramento and spent that time checking out places (and neighborhoods) and meeting possible roommates in person.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:39 PM

472 posts, read 432,530 times
Default Think long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namegoeshere111 View Post
Left Tampa for Denver Metro a year ago working in Transportation field. Try and keep a longer term view in perspective. The job market here is bigger and more competitive but your prospects will be better here to get to where you want to be, whatever that is. Tampa’s problems with traffic, climate, poor planning are legacy issues that there is no will to try and solve. Great to visit, average at best quality of life. Denver excels in quality of life and your salary is adequate to get you going here.
+1

OP - At this stage you're set well financially in both locations. Pick a place based on a long term view of your career opportunities.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
$60,000 is reasonable for a recent college graduate in Denver. I moved there for a new job when I got out of graduate school back in the 90s. I also did multiple internships in there and spent a summer at CU Boulder. I lived in Denver for about four years. I was thriving greatly in the job market in the late 90s with high pay and promotions for the time. Then it crashed. By spring of 2002 I was just doing hard labor at construction sites for daily pay. It was like the scene with Peter in "Office Space" at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczkA_cULYk

The "cons" against Denver are (1) reliability of the job market and (2) rising housing costs. For me, the job market crashed in my field of engineering back in 2001. It was horrible. I got desparate and the only job I could find was in Florida. I moved from Denver to Tallahassee in 2002 (reluctantly) since it was the only option. I ultimately lived in Florida for about fourteen years - mostly in Tallahassee. But I also worked in Fort Lauderdale.

The cost of living in Denver is about the same as Fort Lauderdale. Some parts of the city are less expensive and great for new college graduates: Aurora, Westminster, Arvada, Lakewood, and Lo Do come to mind. Other parts are more expensive. Housing and traffic can be a problem in some areas. My favorite part for summer internships was Lakewood. But I also lived in Boulder, Wesminster, and Broomfield.

I was a mountain runner in my prime back then. I loved the mountain trails and "14ers" of Colorado: Longs Peak, Mt. Bierstadt, Pikes Peak, Mt. Elbert, etc. I hated to leave in 2002. Florida was mostly flat and humid. I was out-of-place as a mountain runner.

For a guy, the one advantage the I-4 corridor and much of Florida has that Boulder/Denver do not have would be the gender ratio - the men far outnumber the women in Denver. It is known as "Menver". I was pretty much invisible in Boulder/Denver during my time there in the late 90s to early 2000s. By contrast, I had many chances to date at FSU and ultimately had a southern blonde girlfriend who was very beautiful. It was never like that for me in Boulder or Denver. One of the most famous comedy scenes about dating rejection was filmed in Colorado's mostly male mountain towns - "So you're telling me there's a chance"? LOL. For every 2 guys dating in Denver, there are 3-5 going through situations like this rejection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

As for me, I moved back to Phoenix last year. I was happy to leave Florida. But the one part I liked was Central FL - that I-4 corridor was ideal for local FSU/UF graduates. I went to graduate school again over there and know both Gainesville and Tallahassee very well. It was flat, humid, but the dating was much better for guys - lol. If there is an undergraduate guy dateless at CU Boulder on Fridays, then he should just go to graduate school in Florida - LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pj2zV5FdYU

Dude, you post this exact same thing in every thread on Denver complete with the videos. You haven’t lived here in almost 2 decades. The economy and city are quite different than when you were here.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
From what my friend told me, you will be living out of a van or in a real crap hole on 60k. Either that or you will have to live in a commune style life with tons of roomates all lingering around.

60k is almost poverty wages in most of the USA. I am not sure what the deal is with so many americans minimizing the effects of sky rocketing house prices. A house is probably the single biggest investment most people will make and when the price tags start rising by 6 figures I dont know how people can trivialize that in their minds, its such a monumental issue that it should be getting way more national attention.

House prices are most likely going to start drasticly effecting GDP because thats all people will have the money for ... is their house payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver