Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,898,165 times

Advertisements

Wheat Ridge, AKA Sleepy Ridge.
Consider Edgewater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniarsenie View Post
Is that because of the price? Or is there any other reason?
Price is part of it.
Do you have the time and knowledge to do lots of house maintenance?

Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 11,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wheat Ridge, AKA Sleepy Ridge.
Consider Edgewater.
Lol good to know.

I did initially consider Edgewater but the price tag scared me away. What about the Regis area and make a bit up north on the other side of 76? I see more houses there within my price range and it doesn't seem too far away from downtown Denver.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Price is part of it.
Do you have the time and knowledge to do lots of house maintenance?
I don't have a lot but I also don't want to pay too high a HOA. Since I'll be working from home, I reckon I'll have some time in my hand for this kind of stuff.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I don't have a lot but I also don't want to pay too high a HOA.
Ah, you are confused.
I live in a townhouse and there is no HOA and the common charges are zero$.

This townhouse https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...77847689_zpid/ has a $200 monthly fee. I do not know what that covers.

This one https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...19309375_zpid/ is $145/mo

Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, you are confused.
I live in a townhouse and there is no HOA and the common charges are zero$.

This townhouse https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...77847689_zpid/ has a $200 monthly fee. I do not know what that covers.

This one https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...19309375_zpid/ is $145/mo
Well, the fee (I don't know if there's another term for that in Colorado) is better than California but I'd like to pay none if possible.

One other reason I'm leaning towards single family home is to have a garden. It doesn't need to be too big but I do want something more than 2000 sq ft. It's probably not possible to find a house like this in some of the trendier areas of Denver but is Regis still a reasonable choice? For example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...13322742_zpid/

Or this one

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...13322727_zpid/

Both fit what I'm looking for in a house. I'm just not sure about the area.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:07 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,036,685 times
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback! I've been looking at houses in Lakewood and Littleton, especially those close to Denver. I like Golden but it seems too far from Denver that I worry about the dating situation. I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. What do you think about Arvada and Wheat Ridge or other places a bit up north?

Yeah, I'm prepared for the lack of diversity, especially food-wise. But I spent 4 years in a small town in Pennsylvania so I suppose I've experienced worse lol. As long as people are open-minded and integrated I'm fine with that.
Golden is not that far. I like both Arvada and Wheatridge. Nice areas. Like I said come out here and check it out. I know how hard it's for move without spending some time here. Take a two week vacation here. You can PM me if you want. I'm a middle aged man. Morrison is nice too. You have to always factor in commuting when getting a place. Also consider the weather when commuting. You know how commuting is in the bay area.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Well, the fee (I don't know if there's another term for that in Colorado) is better than California but I'd like to pay none if possible..
You need to examine what it covers.
We looked at a condo before moving to our current house and the HOA fee was $560. I thought it was high. Then I did an analysis and determined that it was equal to the equivalent expenses on the single family house.

Quote:
Both fit what I'm looking for in a house. I'm just not sure about the area.
Not my favorites. I live 1+ miles to the Southeast at http://www.3968vrain.com/
I would look further East in Denver.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:46 AM

824 posts, read 707,850 times
I can see why the OP may not appreciate a condo situation.

consider traffic noise as a buyer's discount:
A while back i notieced a well maintained home in the OP's price range. It was located in a nice area but located along a bussy Denver city street. On Evans at South Grant St. If traffic noise is not a personal issue; this situation might work the compromise between being affordable and offer a nice living space?

pockets of quality in un expected areas:
I noticed a small square footage structure again well maintained. It was located in a quiet forgotten neighborhood just below the Overland Park Gulf Course or about Evans & South Fox Street. The structure 4sale was an ADU or granny flat or carriage house. The only ADU structre was 4sale and it was properly zoned with seperate utility hookups. It was really really very nice inside & out. Another forgotten neighborhood example; west side of N Madison Street between 41 & 42nd Av. Both of these are located some what close to a RTD lite rail station. This neighborhood is stressed out with the i70 constuction but again a forgotten area.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
I currently own half of a duplex - it's basically the same as a single family in that I am responsible for all exterior maintenance on my side, and would need to work things out with the other side owner as far as something like a new roof or exterior painting

My neighbor is new - the prior owners recently sold, but we had no issues. I decided to take out the grass in the tree lawn strip and put down rock and a little while later, they did the same thing and matched the rock that I had used, so it's still a nice unified look on both. Most people seem to have no issues making these situations work in what is a very common style of house in my area (Central Park) and in some other neighborhoods of Denver.

But I do anticipate moving to a condo or a townhouse community again at some point once my kiddo is grown and out of the house. I will happily pay an HOA fee and let someone else deal with landscaping and exterior maintenance and snow removal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver