Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should we move to?
Denver, CO 80 74.77%
Orlando, FL 9 8.41%
Other 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM

53 posts, read 223,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Just so you know, you are not alone. I'm a Colo. native and am sick to death of not being able to get anywhere without paying $$$ and hopping on a plane. I feel isolated in that there are no other big cities nearby or ocean, or amusement parks as you mentioned. I thought I was the minority in these thoughts and maybe we still are, but I thought I'd let you know you are definitely not alone. Good luck to you in your move!
Glad to hear. I thought I was crazy like I was missing out on something every other CO resident knew. I used to weekend road trip all across the east coast every month or so with friends and such. Here I managed to go to SLC once, but that was a lil more than my idea of a quick trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
And yet there are direct flights from DIA to just about anywhere.
That adds up a lot of $$$. It is still cheaper to drive a car with 2-4 people a hundred or two miles. Besides your missing the best point of it. the scenic route, the adventure of driving to another city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm originally from Delco too but lived most of my life in Chester County just north of Lionville, so I know what you are saying. When I first moved to CO, I missed all the green of PA and thought the sun was over powering! After a few months I LOVE it here. Been here four years and probably will never go back east. Love the weather, mountains, open spaces, people, the beautiful earth tone scenery, everything! I don't even miss going "down the shore".
I've been here for 2. At first I loved it here, now its wearing off on me. I think I miss that winter was ski season and summer was shore season. Give me even Dorney park anyday over Elitchs.

I don't mean to bash Denver/Colorado. It is actually a very nice city and state, just not for me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:04 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm originally from Delco too but lived most of my life in Chester County just north of Lionville, so I know what you are saying. When I first moved to CO, I missed all the green of PA and thought the sun was over powering! After a few months I LOVE it here. Been here four years and probably will never go back east. Love the weather, mountains, open spaces, people, the beautiful earth tone scenery, everything! I don't even miss going "down the shore".
I hate the damn shore, so leaving it would be fantastic

Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 PM

93 posts, read 260,364 times
I grew up in NYC metro, and have lived in Tampa Bay for 7+ years. I'm outdoors oriented, as is my family. Denver is our goal. I won't feel too isolated around nearly 3 million people.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
psonio7: I don't think Denver's a bad city either, it does have a lot going for it. It's just a personal thing and everyone has their wants/needs/likes/dislikes.

I do not like being landlocked, and yeah, the "quick trips" here are far and few between, and get old after awhile. I'd like to be able to get to other cities easily, and you just can't do that here. I can't even go to Elitch's anymore because I've been going since I was 5 and it's just sooooo boring.

One of our big priorities is to travel to South America. The prices out of DIA are outrageous and it gets tiresome to always being laid over in Miami. Our thoughts are, let's just go to Miami.

Besides, if we hate it we'll leave. Change is good. A lot of you guys here came from elsewhere, in fact am I the only native? Meaning, surely you can understand others wanting to move when you guys did the same thing.

Zman: I hear you, but honestly, you won't truly know if you like it until you come and live here. This is NOT NYC, not even remotely close. Plus, this is the west, and the culture is entirely different. Don't be surprised if you feel homesick. But stay awhile and see if you truly do like it. The 3 million people here are quite spread out.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM

wanttomoveast,

I lived in Denver for a year and a half in the 70's as a student. I've lived in San Francisco, and have spent a good amount of time in the West. We came to FL to be near my aging mother. Other than the beautiful beaches we are sick of Southern culture. NYC and environs was in my life for 40 yrs. That chapter is over.

We have a love of the landscapes of Wyoming and CO. That's important to us. I love the way Denver proper has changed since my student days. I think we would be just fine culturally. At 55 and 51 we're getting a little restless as well and don't want to wait till we're too old to enjoy the outdoors.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
Zman: I wasn't trying to offend your sensabilities, I was mainly responding to the part where you said you wouldn't feel isolated near 3 million people. Just my 2 cents, no worries, we won't always agree with each other. Good luck to you in your move. And good for you in taking care of your mother. In my line of work, I hardly see that anymore, most kids are happy to ditch their parents in some decrepid old folks home.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
wanttomoveast,

I lived in Denver for a year and a half in the 70's as a student. I've lived in San Francisco, and have spent a good amount of time in the West. We came to FL to be near my aging mother. Other than the beautiful beaches we are sick of Southern culture. NYC and environs was in my life for 40 yrs. That chapter is over.

We have a love of the landscapes of Wyoming and CO. That's important to us. I love the way Denver proper has changed since my student days. I think we would be just fine culturally. At 55 and 51 we're getting a little restless as well and don't want to wait till we're too old to enjoy the outdoors.
How would you compare Tampa to places in SoFL like Boca/West Palm/FTL/Miami?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

WTME, you didn't offend my sensibilities at all.

When we discussed moving this year, my mom, who now lives with us, said she'll die before she moves to a place she's never been to at this point in her life (92).

Of course this is wearing on my wife and kids who want to get out of FL ASAP!
As you said, sometimes we have to think beyond ourselves.

As far as the OP's dilemma. If you want to come to FL, I would take TB over Orlando. Tampa and St Pete have nice geographic settings, and in the long term will be improving as cities. There is a lot of diversity here, and a lot of things to do. Economically it's not that dynamic. The housing boom was mainly fueled by people from the Northeast bringing their money down and building McMansions, which made housing prices unreachable for many native Floridians. The weather is an attraction for many. I love October through April, when the humidity and temperature drops and it's almost always sunny. We also have some of the finest beaches in the World. We were at Fort DeSoto Park yesterday, a must see for anyone visiting this area.

Last edited by zman0457; 09-28-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
How would you compare Tampa to places in SoFL like Boca/West Palm/FTL/Miami?
Scenically, TB is arguably more beautiful. Neither Tampa or St Pete is as dynamic and colorful as Miami-Dade/Broward, though downtown St Pete has come a long way with a beautiful waterfront. Miami is a world class city with everything that goes with that status. Culture, great food, sports etc. Tampa Bay has all that too, but lacks the nightlife of South FL.

Crime is a problem in all FL cities, but I think Miami takes the cake on that one. Traffic isn't great in TB or Miami but it's not the Long Island Expressway or the LA Freeways either.

Miami-Ft Lauderdale is very dense and TB is extremely spread out with NO real public transit. You put a lot of miles on your car here.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
Scenically, TB is arguably more beautiful. Neither Tampa or St Pete is as dynamic and colorful as Miami-Dade/Broward, though downtown St Pete has come a long way with a beautiful waterfront. Miami is a world class city with everything that goes with that status. Culture, great food, sports etc. Tampa Bay has all that too, but lacks the nightlife of South FL.

Crime is a problem in all FL cities, but I think Miami takes the cake on that one. Traffic isn't great in TB or Miami but it's not the Long Island Expressway or the LA Freeways either.

Miami-Ft Lauderdale is very dense and TB is extremely spread out with NO real public transit. You put a lot of miles on your car here.
Thanks. Almost all of my experience in FL is in SoFL, where basically my whole family lives. I've been to Orlando a few times and Jacksonville (Worst place I've been in my life--pleaaaase tell me Tampa isn't remotely like Jax)
Anyway, I'm looking to work in Major League Baseball after I graduate from college, and I think working for the Rays would be a great opportunity. My parents are at the could-retire-if-they-wanted-to stage, and were very close to buying in SoFL until some family issues arose. I mentioned that they should stop thinking that SoFL is the only place in FL that's nice (although it does have to do with family proximity), and should look at Tampa (my dad went to UF, owned property NE FL, and lived in Miami for 10 years, so he has a lot of experience in the state), so hopefully they'll consider it

Also, last question, how's the hurricane situation in Tampa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver