Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 08:40 AM

75 posts, read 63,863 times

Advertisements

I started applying to tech jobs in Denver. I live in Durham, NC. I am only three weeks in, but I am finding the job market very tough. I make $55k right now as a tier 2 tech. I do not have the skillset to move up. I just started studying for the CCNA.

The goal was to move out in the first quarter since it was the best time of year to find a job. I believe I can land a $60k job, but the sacrifice is that I'd not "move up" and probably need to rent with strangers.

I am starting to feel a bit nervous about the whole thing and have considered putting a hold to it. Inflation is killing me even in Durham and now I am considering moving somewhere more expensive.

I have no debt and about $15k in savings. I've had some people say that I dont make enough to justify moving to a higher cost of living area.

So the option is to either move with about $60k income and accept that I'll need to rent with strangers. Or build up skills (aka certs and homelabs) and possibly earn my way to landing something closer to $80k. With $80k I could smoothly move on over to Denver with a studio Id think. That would probably mean staying put for another year.

I have also been applying to Colorado Springs, but find that clearance is required for a lot of the work there and its just as competitive.

I am a single 29m with a dog.

I feel like I need to decide if CO is worth living on "less". I like the city, but to live almost broke on $60k feels absurd. This economy is crazy to me.

I found a similar post in 2019, but that was before COVID and all the inflation and unknowns about the economy.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 08:48 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
Your money will go further in the Carolina’s. Colorado isn’t cheap. Having a dog, though very common here, adds another level of complexity in finding a place to live and will add to the cost. Apartments will ask for pet deposits and may even charge more.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:21 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Your money will go way farther in NC. If you're struggling there, guess how much harder it would be in CO. Avoid the "out of the frying pan - into the fire" approach.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:17 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,668 times
According to a cost-of-living calculator, to maintain your current standard of living at 55K in Durham, NC, you would need to earn *72K* in Denver.

The 60K you're aiming for is very short of that. Or to put it another way, 60K in Denver would be the equivalent of 45K in Durham. You'd essentially be giving yourself a pay *cut*, to the tune of 10K a year. If you can't afford that in Durham, then you definitely can't afford it in Denver.

Looking at Zillow, the cheapest apartment I'm seeing is about $850/month for a 300 square foot studio apartment. Maybe you don't need much space, maybe your dog is lazy and quiet, but I don't think that'd be an ideal set up.

My advice would be to either 1.) Stay put, or 2.) Find a job in Denver that pays at least 80K a year, to make the move worth it.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:47 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
OP, is moving to Denver your only choice? Why?

To me, it's a "no brainer". You said that if you stay put for a year that you might be able to earn $80,000 in Denver versus $60,000 now. When you are 29 years old, a year is not that long. In that year you could improve your skill set and perhaps work on the clearance you mentioned, and then make yourself more qualified for better paying jobs.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:08 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, is moving to Denver your only choice? Why?

To me, it's a "no brainer". You said that if you stay put for a year that you might be able to earn $80,000 in Denver versus $60,000 now. When you are 29 years old, a year is not that long. In that year you could improve your skill set and perhaps work on the clearance you mentioned, and then make yourself more qualified for better paying jobs.
This. If you can stay put and get yourself to a more comfortable 80k in about a year, then that's what I'd do.

FWIW, 60k as a single earner, no kids, and no debt could be doable in Denver. You wouldn't be living in the trendiest of neighborhoods or eating out/going to the bars very often, but it's possible. I'd try to look at housing and jobs near mass transit, and try to find a company that is willing to buy/subsidize an eco pass to cut down on transportation costs.

Old 01-16-2023, 03:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This. If you can stay put and get yourself to a more comfortable 80k in about a year, then that's what I'd do.

FWIW, 60k as a single earner, no kids, and no debt could be doable in Denver. You wouldn't be living in the trendiest of neighborhoods or eating out/going to the bars very often, but it's possible. I'd try to look at housing and jobs near mass transit, and try to find a company that is willing to buy/subsidize an eco pass to cut down on transportation costs.
I agree- you could do it but not very comfortably, not in the front range area. It's really expensive. Heck $60K in Helena MT would be really tight. The average house here is around $450K.

If I moved back east (We're from WV)- NC would be a good place. It's more affordable than the Rocky Mountain West, the food is better, depending on city the amenities are par. The biggest downside for us is humidity. I hate hot humid summers.

I wouldn't relocate to CO without a pretty cush job. My bro in-law lives in Longmont in tech and he makes over $200K.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:29 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,055 times
Security clearances are not easy to get these days (thank God) and without an ACTIVE TS clearance you will not get hired. Companies will not take the risk of hiring you if the clearance is disapproved after a year (or more in most cases) of investigation.

This is the reason only recent Veterans are hired by defense contractors. I worked at NORAD (GTE) after getting out of the USAF and it was a sweet 20 year gig. But- watching CNN for your whole shift gets old after awhile (!)

Old 01-19-2023, 06:41 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
You can do it OP!!

Old 01-20-2023, 04:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
I live in Durham, NC. ... I make $55k right now as a tier 2 tech.
I am a single 29m with a dog. ... Any advice?
Stay where you are and take in a housemate of some sort.
Half, or more, of your housing costs will be paid by others.
(You'll need to EXPECT to do this wherever you live)

DIG IN at the job you have there and DIG IN with the study for certs.
GET the certs... THEN look around for what opportunities are around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver