Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:59 PM

16 posts, read 71,296 times

Advertisements

Hi, Forumites. For all the people who know the Denver/Glendale area well, I have some questions. My husband and I will be relocating sometime in late July or August and we wanted to ask the opinion of people who have better insight than a map or statistics can give--at least we think real, talking human beings still have the edge over those things .

As much as we hate the thought, it is possible that we may have to move sight unseen because of logistics and work schedules that will not give; it's like that sometimes. We did this before and it was great. Once it was not the best but we simply broke our lease and moved after six months. No big deal, all things considered.

There are two places that we are looking at renting now. One is a condo located in a complex called Cedar Pointe Condos at 4824 E. Kentucky Ave. in Glendale. The other is a condo in a hi-rise located at 3100 Cherry Creek South in Denver.

Can any of you give your ideas on both locations in regard to the general neighborhood, safety (seen the crime stats but still would like to hear your voices) and any other information you would like to share--what you like/don't like about the areas? Oh, a little about us: early-30s, no kids, college educated professionals, considered yuppies but not sure I would call myself that . OK with urban areas, semi-suburban areas and living around people of all ethnic backgrounds, ages, and sexual orientations. The things we are not OK with are drunken college students and their shananaghans, open drug dealing and blaring music all times of the night . I'll be coming in and out alone at different times and need to feel safe doing so. Most appreciate walkable places as we both do lots of running and biking and try to avoid driving when possible. Will both commute to downtown offices and willing to pay around $1600 per month for a 1 or 2 bedroom, could go higher but would like not to.

Again, we are genuinely interested in your comments and really don't need to be told to look at the stats, etc. I'm asking because I have found the comments on the Denver board to be thorough and honest.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM

6,811 posts, read 9,357,536 times
The Cherry Creek South address is much closer to the Cherry Creek shopping area, in fact, it's within walking distance. It's not RIGHT in the middle of everything, but close enough.

I lived near the Cedar Pointe condos for a little while in one of the other apartment complexes (The Sonata at Cherry Creek). The neighborhood itself is okay in my opinion (not as upscale as Cherry Creek), although while I lived there, co-workers warned me about car thefts. The Sonata parking area was gated, although I never had a problem and as far as I know, nobody else in the complex had any problems either.

Hope this helps. I know you mentioned time and schedule conflicts, but the best way to choose is to see the places for yourself. Judging from what you wrote, you would probably like the 3100 Cherry Creek South place more, since the Cherry Creek shopping area is nearby.. BUT.. the Cedar Pointe condos might work well for you too!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Thanks for much!!!

Hello Cowboyxjon. Thank you SOOOO much for taking the time to write back. I was beginning to think that no one would reply .

The information you gave is exactly the kind I was looking for. You are right; it is best that we go and see for ourselves. But, if this is not possible, it is comforting to know that there are people on this forum who will take the time to give you replies with the good and bad details.

The Cherry Creek South address seems more upscale to us as well though the Cedar Pointe condo rentals are cheaper for more space. My concern was whether or not the rents were cheaper at Cedar Pointe because the area is loud, dirty or something along those lines. These are the details you cannot get from stats.

You are the best for writing back!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:12 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Can I have your name. "Yixi", that is one of the best ID, I have ever seen

I would not live anywhere in Glendale. It is a place of many cheap apartments. Too many bars; too many drunks, and too many young rowdies, loud music and sex clubs. You know, I think it has only one or two house in the whole village. Look elsewhere.

Livecontent

Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
The Cedar Pointe condos are older, in a less upgraded part of tiny Glendale, while the 3100 address is lots newer. Still, I had the Cedar Pointe place recommended to me in the past as well managed. They are both very well located. The 3100 place is VERY high rise--I would ask how many units, as I would compare it to an apartment on the beach at honolulu, not my thing. Cedar Pointe is more of a surrounded garden enclave--smaller and I think with a pool.

I have lived within a half mile of Glendale in two locations since 1994.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Smile Thanks, LiveContent and Esya!!!

Actually, Livecontent, I have always admired your name because it is a mantra and inspirational all at once .

Thanks for your opinions. I have been advised by a couple of other people through friends to look elsewhere because they do not like Glendale either.

Esya, it was great to hear from you since you lived near the apartment complex in question and currently still live in Glendale.

You both are the best. Love this forum!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,578 times
Smile Cedar Pointe condo

I have lived here for 8 years and it is the best place I have ever lived. It is no way crazy. At night it is quiet and the people who live there are between the ages of 30 to 50. I have never had any problems with anyone who lives there. I would rather live in Cedar Pointe then cherry creek. Parking is way better and people are so friendly. And as far as the bars you are talking about. There is only one bar in Glendale its called the Bull And Bush its a great place to have a beer and watch the people walk their dogs.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
3100 Cherry Creek Drive or Cherry Creek Towers is what it's actually officially called is very well situated..walkable to practically anything you would need typically on a day to day basis..It's within walking distance to the Safeway, Rite Aid,Whole Foods and CCN. mall,dry cleaners,restaurants ect. directly north over the creek bridge. The building was built in the late 60's or early 70's some of the units have been highly upgraded with enclosed lanais, while others remain rather outdated and have poor floorplan layouts.Most units have decent city or mountain views.The key there is to find the right unit within the building as the majority have been converted from their original spaces..walls knocked down..kitchens renovated ect. It has an outdoor seasonal pool,and barbeque area. It tends to be a fairly quiet building, far from a noisy college crowd scene; generally the resident population is comprised of retirees,young professionals, and second home owners seeking a Denver pied a terre. It's very well priced for the area,very safe,upscale surroundings and close to the Cherry Creek trail which is practically steps out your door.. the path takes you directly to downtown if you choose to bike it in..The rental and purchase prices for the condos are some of the most affordable in Cherry Creek and fall within your desired budget. I have heard more good than bad about the building( had several friends live there through out the years) in my opinion it's location far exceeds anywhere in Glendale. I can't really comment on Cedar Point condos as I know nothing about them..Hope that helps..good luck..

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-19-2009 at 12:22 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
I'd keep looking. The area of Cherry Creek you mention tends to lure people who have never visited. Just about everything between Steele and Colorado and 2nd and Alameda is clapped together stick built **** that was slapped up in the recent past. North Cherry Creek tends to have older and more established homes.

Glendale, the city within the city is almost entirely apartments. As I own some in that area I won't knock it entirely, there are some nice places and some seedy places and for the most part people who live there do so as a matter of convenience and price.

You might want to consider looking around Cheeseman Park or Uptown; Denver has plenty of bike trails and you would be closer to work and entertainment.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,672 times
Glendale is the best "village" in the state. Cedar Pointe condominiums are older, but are owned - not apartments. People care about the complex. Dogs are welcome, even pit bulls. (If you can transport around Denver) The complex is very very well managed - new plantings. Neighbors are very conscientous about cleaning up or are cautioned. I've never lived in a place I felt so save. It's an oasis - close to EVERYTHING!!! Great city government. Most residents know the mayor personally. Very business oriented and development oriented. Lived here now for 6 years and have never had a problem. Would suggest the units with garages.

Last edited by okatjen; 03-07-2011 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: wanted to add extra comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: