Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

Me and my soon to be hubby have been wanting to move to Colorado for a long time. I lived in Durango, CO for 6 months in college to be a intern and loved it!!! We live in Sacramento, CA and are sick of the fast paced life and the high crime rate that just seems to be getting worse. We just don't see raising a family in this type of enviroment. We are getting married in October and would like to start are lives there and eventually raise a family. We have a trip planned in Febuary to take a look at the surrounding areas around Denver. We both love the mountains and would love to live in a mountain town but are open to looking at every area. Are there any areas that have a high rate of newly married couples or young families just starting out? We would love to live in a area where there are people are own age(27&30). I grew up in a neighborhood that was like a big family. Is there such thing in Colorado!!

Last edited by mountainoceangirl; 01-18-2007 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainoceangirl View Post
Me and my soon to be hubby have been wanting to move to Colorado for a long time. I lived in Durango, CO for 6 months in college to be a intern and loved it!!! We live in Sacramento, CA and are sick of the fast paced life and the high crime rate that just seems to be getting worse. We just don't see raising a family in this type of enviroment. We are getting married in October and would like to start are lives there and eventually raise a family. We have a trip planned in Febuary to take a look at the surrounding areas around Denver. We both love the mountains and would love to live in a mountain town but are open to looking at every area. Are there any areas that have a high rate of newly married couples or young families just starting out? We would love to live in a area where there are people are own age(27&30). I grew up in a neighborhood that was like a big family. Is there such thing in Colorado!!
I've heard that Colorado is one of the youngest states in the whole country, so I think you'd have no problem finding people your age anywhere in the state. Here, even the "sleepy suburbs" actually have a good portion of younger people too.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of places in the mountains that are really commutable to Denver, particularly in bad weather. So, you really need to decide if you want to live in a western slope or mountain town and work locally, or if you want to live in a foothills area close to Denver and commute. Evergreen/Conifer/Bailey are the areas people think of as "mountain living" when commuting to Denver, but all have long commutes (1 hour plus). There are also some foothills communities to the south of Denver that "feel" like the mountains but actually aren't any closer to the peaks. Larkspur is an example, BenWolfe who posts here a lot can tell you a lot about that. There are also a few similar areas that are commutable to Colorado Springs if you want to look for jobs there.

My impression of the mountain towns generally is that they are usually tough to survive in due to lack of high-paying jobs and the high expense of living there. So, you may want to take that into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver