Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM

544 posts, read 1,484,967 times

Advertisements

Hi, I wonder if someone could help me. I'm curious to know how the lungs are affected by being in Denver? Mine are damaged from 20+ years of smoking (haven't smoked in 20) and they occasionally hurt, and burn. Of course, smoking that long is one of the stupider things I've ever done.

Also, I have MS and since I can't smoke, does anyone know if vaping (taking weed through a vaporizer), damages the lungs? I think I would feel better if I could have access to that, and since I could do it legally in Denver, I probably would. It's entirely illegal where I'm at currently, so I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I have no clue about any of that. I do know Colorado does have a higher than average MS diagnosis and we have the premier respiratory hospital in National Jewish.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The air here has a bit less oxygen than at lower levels and the barometric pressure is a bit lower too. Some folks, like my sis who smoked for 35 years or so, have some trouble with altitude sickness when they go up to higher elevations (like Pikes Peak at 14,115 feet). Most people here are fine and millions live here, including those who've smoked all their lives. Hard to say how you might be affected; if you doc can't tell you, the only thing you can do is visit for a while. Some folks need a week or a month to acclimate, but no one keels over at the airport after getting off a plane from sea level. If you do visit, drink a LOT of water beginning on arrival and be sure to have some sunscreen, lip balm, head cover and skin lotion as the air is dry which can cause severe dehydration in new arrivals.

Medical marijuana outlets are opening up at a rapid pace in most cities here, you should have little trouble obtaining some but I believe you need to prove a valid Rx has been issued for you, or perhaps you can visit a doc upon arrival.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM

137 posts, read 466,782 times
I am not sure if you have COPD but next door neighbor's mom cannot visit her grandchildren because she can't handle the altitude, she resides in CA. At least you quit, so good for you! I see lots of people with their oxygen tanks and smokes,

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGAL222 View Post
I am not sure if you have COPD but next door neighbor's mom cannot visit her grandchildren because she can't handle the altitude, she resides in CA. At least you quit, so good for you! I see lots of people with their oxygen tanks and smokes,
Yeah, there are way more people here on oxygen than I've seen anywhere else in my life.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, there are way more people here on oxygen than I've seen anywhere else in my life.
Interesting: I wonder if that's because the area is considered good for people with breathing problems, and thus a lot of them have migrated there, or if the area has caused the breathing problems.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGAL222 View Post
I go to a physician frequently and I haven't been diagnosed with COPD or anything like that. I haven't smoked for well over 20 years. It's very easy to quit, actually: (1) you don't buy any; and (2) you don't bum any.

oh..and (3) have a hissyfit if anyone blows smoke on you, or in your general direction.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
one of the things that hurts the lungs is the particulate count here. in the winter, the cold air can really hurt the lungs for those sensitive, and if you add all the stuff kicked up in the air by the cars (the stuff that's put on the road to make it easier to drive) and you have a recipe for asthma and other issues. you never know how your body will react.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
I'd like to chime in here - as a St. Louisian who has been to Denver and other Colorado locales many times (and stationed at Lowry AFB 92-93, and Buckley ANG 95):

Call us crazy, but my wife and I actually breathed/breathe BETTER in Colorado than Missouri. We have never had any issues with altitude or air quality. Our theory is that the mass amount of allergens/pollens in the Midwest may acutally be more harmful to respiratory systems than the lighter but vastly cleaner air in Colorado. Caveat: My wife and I are both 40, have never smoked (cigarettes, that it ;-)), are extremely active and can still run 6:00 miles!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,719 times
I've lived here for 15 years, moved from the Atlantic coast, and have a form of asthma. I find breathing here occasionally trying but only if I've just physically exerted myself.

Yes the oxygen levels and barometric pressure are lower here, but you can eventually get used to it. BUt it also depends on what part of the state you wish to move to. I reside at 5000 feet and have no real problems, but at higher altitudes like 10000+ for extended periods of time I start to have issues, and I don't know anyone that smokes that can stand being up that high for very long.

Only way to know is to give the place a visit. During cold months it can get pretty brutal, especially for Denver, but warmer months are very pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: