Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 PM

15 posts, read 36,393 times

Advertisements

I've already posted this in the Education forum, but I figured there are many people who are citizens of Denver but not necessarily visiting that forum. (I didn't even know an education forum existed before today) I apologize for the double post.

I'm considering a move to Denver and I've read some teacher boards that talk about how competitive it is to get a teaching job in the Denver-Boulder area. Some are saying that there are several hundred applicants per position. Does anyone have info to confirm this?

I teach high school and all levels of math, which are two areas of shortage, so I thought I'd be OK finding a job but now I'm a little worried.

Also, are there any major unions that operate in and around Denver that represent teachers?

Anyone have any feedback on the ProComp system in DPS?

Is there a small school initiative in Denver like there are in other big cities?

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

PS I know that there are many teaching threads and I've perused them all. I didn't see anything about these specific topics.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-01-2008 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
I did hear a member of the Boulder Valley SD say there are hundreds of applicants for every job.

There are a number of teaching threads on this and the Colorado forum.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 33,888 times
I recently did a fair amount of research into teaching careers in Denver. I spoke with some local school districts in my area of Broomfield/Westminster/Arvada and attended some introductory sessions for the teacher education department at Metropolitan State. My impression was that if you have a math or science specialization you should be fine and will be able to find a job. The persons that should worry, and Metro State was very emphatic about this, are those with English or Social Studies specializations.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
My daughter has a friend who is a math teacher who has a job teaching in HS. However, he applied for a similar job in another metro district, and after three interviews, was not offered the job. It's a jungle out there.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,948,592 times
I currently teach in DPS, after teaching in Douglas County. Douglas Co. is definitely harder to get in to.......and the schools in DPS can be hit or miss. But I work at a "good" high school and enjoy it.

DPS has all sorts of small-school-like programs going on. And all new teachers are hired into ProComp, although I haven't experienced much of it yet to have an opinion.

Definitely start your job search early -- apply for a CO license starting in Jan. if you need to get one. And start applying to individual districts in March-April.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM

15 posts, read 36,393 times
Thanks so much for the info! I already requested the fingerprinting card to send to CBI so I can get my application for my certification in by December. I'm hoping to have a job secured by the time I move out there this summer. I actually did see a listing on DPS website for a high school math teacher, so that at least gives me hope that there's some need.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 216,576 times
It truly matters on your personal background and how desirable you make yourself look. My wife (we are still out of stater). Had a few job offers in the Denver area, one was to the Denver School of Science and Technology. And a few to the local schools. But she has worked hard at it. She got her bachelors at Dayton in Ohio and received her Masters UNO here. Did a ton of special projects while she was teaching for 6 years. She started a new program on how to teach BD kids. My wife focus is in English and reading.

But now she has stepped out of the teaching world, to pursue the business world.

Good luck to you, and please be almost annoying when it comes to a job... show them that you are over interested in it, make them remember you and stand out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver