Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,635 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Me and my husband were thinking to move from NYC to Florida, but we have change our minds actually since my husband love snow and snowboard, we have decide to try with Denver
I have heard such great things about Denver, especially about whether and number of sunny days during the year.
I am expecting baby on July, and I would be very appreciate if you could help me with choosing areas that are safe and kids friendly.
We would love to rent first.
Please if you could write me nice area to rent apartment, safe, close to parks,good school, and nice neighborhoods, and that you can go out and walk :-)
Thank you so much for your help and have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM

108 posts, read 340,410 times
I'm here in January, on the 20th, in Fort Collins, which is N of Denver. There are spots of snow on the ground, but mostly its sunny and windy. It was warm enough for just a warm jacket and shirt the other day. The idea of it being snowy is misguided. I heard there is a lot of foothill snow in March, West of the city. Fort Collins is a nice city.

Why not wait until your baby is 8 months old to move? I would also advise staying close to family and friends who can help you for the first 6 mos with errands, questions, more. Highly recommend a moms club. If you can't find one locally, try the website momsinternational.org for a local chapter.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I would recommend a search of these forums for information about Denver. Use terms such as family friendly, etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I would find job(s) first then narrow down your neighborhood search once you know where you'll be working..... There are nice family neighborhoods in much of the Denver metro area but no one will want to be commuting through the city during rush hour if not necessary.....

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 14,635 times
Thank you so much for an answer. We are looking to move on the end of February and we would love to rent in Denver metro area.
I did some research and I heard nice things about Stapleton, but its little bit pricey, not sure will I be able to afford it. I am not going to work, and my husband's job is seasonal. What I am actually looking for is nice safe walkable area, kids friendly,good schools, close to parks where stay at home mom can feel safe since my husband is occasionally leaving for trips and I will be alone for a 2-3 weeks.
Do you know is possible to find some nice 2 bedroom apartment for a price around $700 - $800?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,600 times
Just make sure your ok to move to a high altitude area. Im not sure at what time of your pregnancy your not advise to do so. But there is a time.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM

I don't think the altitude has any particular bearing on pregnancy. Women here get pregnant all the time, and have no problems. Babies do tend to be smaller here due to the altitude; they get less oxygen. But there is no reason to avoid Denver while pregnant.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,066 times
Golden is a wonderful small city for raising children. The schools are very good. The community is close-knit and concerned about creating a sustainable way of life. The mountains are close and beautiful - lots of open space for hiking, biking, etc. Rents are a little bit more expensive here, but because this is a college town, you can also find houses for rent fairly easily.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think the altitude has any particular bearing on pregnancy. Women here get pregnant all the time, and have no problems. Babies do tend to be smaller here due to the altitude; they get less oxygen. But there is no reason to avoid Denver while pregnant.

If you get pregnant in a low altitude and during it you move to a higher one it could affect the baby. The changes affect the baby's oxygen. I read that in "What to expect" before I had my son and before I moved here.

Look into it mom-to-be. The later the pregnancy the more you shouldnt do the move. Just like you cant fly after 32 weeks.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 AM

I did a google search and couldn't find a lot about moving to a higher altitude. Most of the articles were about travel to high altitude. Here is one link:

https://babymed.com/faq/content.aspx?14263
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver