Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 20,525 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend (mid 20's, no kids, 2 dogs) are moving to the Denver area from Chicago. I have accepted a job offer in north Littleton but would like to be in more of a city setting as far as where to live. I like the ability to walk everywhere (bars, resteraunts, coffee shops, nice area to walk the dog, parks, etc) or use public transportation to get into the business districts, Coors Field, etc. as to lower my dependance on a car. What neighborhoods would be good for us but still allow for a reasonable commute to north side of Littleton.

As far as rent range we would like to stay under 1000/ month for a 2 bedroom (3 would be nice but a minimum of 2) as long as we like the neighborhood and the apartment, etc. A fenced in backyard would be great but not required and probably hard to find.

Thanks in advance for everyones willingness to help. I will probably be flying out next weekend to do some aptment searching, just need some good starting points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,216 times
If you could give some specifics with streets in Littleton, that might be helpful. Denver has a decent tansit system for the I-25 corridor but not yet for southwest of Denver, which is where Littleton is located. I have never ridden a bus out there from the Denver core, so others might chime is about their experience. Light rail is great for getting the Denver Tech Center and back.

You would be able to find what you are looking for with a yard and rent price in Littleton, but it is considered the suburbs. If you want to live in the core and work in Littleton, you will more then likely need a car for the commute.

In Denver, generally those who like city life will live as close to the core as possible. Here are the names and locations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...ghborhoods.gif

Check out these neighborhoods: Highlands (east and west), Baker, Uptown, Ballpark, Capitol Hill (Cheeseman Park/Governor's Park), Congress Park, Washington Park, South City Park. All have parks but only a few in the city have dog sections like Berkeley Park. However, all of these neighborhoods have bars, restaurants, great for dog walking and general roaming. The down side would be that $1000.00 a month for a 2 or 3 bedroom will be work in finding. Not impossible as my nieces and nephews find them all the time in Capitol Hill, but it is work.

Good Luck to you both and welcome to Denver!!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 AM

227 posts, read 1,009,368 times
Your budget is too low. If you want all that city life you better be willing to fork over a lot more a month with less amenities on your list.

Oh, by the way, the light rail follows Sante Fe Dr. all the way down to Mineral Ave. in Littleton.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The area around DU has some rentals that are <$1000/mo for two bedroom apts, and not just student dives, either. It is in the very south part of Denver.

Where you live depends on how much of a commute you're willing to put up with.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 AM

I forget about the light rail station at Mineral and Santa Fe.

Edemay1020, let us know the cross streets close to your work.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 20,525 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I do have a car already which will be coming with me so I can use that to commute to and from work (which is around Kipling and Belleview). I am okay with a bit of a commute perferrably under 30 minutes each way. I am used to an hour and half each way in chicago so I cant see it being that bad.

I am more looking/ inquiring about livley/ social/ young communities that allow us to walk to the places we would want to go, or be close to the light rail to move throughout the city from a recreation standpoint. I think it would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants, nightlife, parks, etc and not have to worry about driving anywhere outside of to and from work. Pretty much like any neighborhood in Chicago but hoping for a bit less hectic and crowding (if that helps at all).

On a side note, does Denver have a lot of Dog Parks? Then I wouldnt really care about finding a place with a fenced in backyard and would focus more on a nice apartment or apartment complex.

I am more concerned with location and neighborhood amenities then the actual place itself, I dont need high luxery, something modest is fine for me, but on the other end of that nothing run down to save a few bucks either.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
My daughter lives near DU, and she does take LR frequently downtown and other places. But really, if you want to experience the whole city, you will need a car for some things.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:33 PM

You will need a car to get from the core to Kipling and Belleview, however, you will be going against traffic so that is a plus. Also going away from the morning sun. My sis lives out in Ken Caryl, which is just south of this area and I take 6th ave west to I-70 to C470 to see her and that works perfectly. Takes 25 minutes with little to no traffic from downtown, probably 45 with traffic.

Though there are over 200 parks in Denver, only a few have actual designated dog areas:

Denver Parks and Recreation Home

http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogfun/colorado.html

http://www.centraldenverblog.com/2008/03/14/furry-fun-at-denver-dog-parks/

http://www.dogparkusa.com/colorado/denver-area

Here are some recent shots I took on a gloomy but warm day, you will see tons of dogs in the core:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l-central.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by edemay1022 View Post
...I am more looking/ inquiring about livley/ social/ young communities that allow us to walk to the places we would want to go, or be close to the light rail to move throughout the city from a recreation standpoint. I think it would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants, nightlife, parks, etc and not have to worry about driving anywhere outside of to and from work. Pretty much like any neighborhood in Chicago but hoping for a bit less hectic and crowding (if that helps at all).

I am more concerned with location and neighborhood amenities then the actual place itself, I dont need high luxery, something modest is fine for me, but on the other end of that nothing run down to save a few bucks either.

Look into the area I recommended and the one Katiana mentions as well.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,889 times
A few pictures from a couple of the dog parks.

Fuller Dog Park (Feb 2009)

Berkeley Dog Park (Winter 2007)

Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edemay1022 View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I do have a car already which will be coming with me so I can use that to commute to and from work (which is around Kipling and Belleview). I am okay with a bit of a commute perferrably under 30 minutes each way. I am used to an hour and half each way in chicago so I cant see it being that bad.

I am more looking/ inquiring about livley/ social/ young communities that allow us to walk to the places we would want to go, or be close to the light rail to move throughout the city from a recreation standpoint. I think it would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants, nightlife, parks, etc and not have to worry about driving anywhere outside of to and from work. Pretty much like any neighborhood in Chicago but hoping for a bit less hectic and crowding (if that helps at all).

On a side note, does Denver have a lot of Dog Parks? Then I wouldnt really care about finding a place with a fenced in backyard and would focus more on a nice apartment or apartment complex.

Kipling and Belleview is not Littleton. It is unincorporated Jefferson County. Many of the those addresses in South Jeffco use a Littleton Address.

This area is a established residential suburban residential with strip shopping. There are many parks in the area but it may not be desirable for you, as you indicated. Yes, you may have to drive but there are buses that run down Belleview and Kipling.

The closest dense shopping area is near the Southwest Mall which is at the corner of Bowles and Wadsworth. You could live around there and have many places to walk as well as a good bus tranfer point near the mall. It is also near Clement Park in the Columbine Valley area of Jefferson County. A large library is at the Park.

Another area to consider would be in the center of Old Town Littleton which is east of Santa Fe, along West Littleton Blvd. There you will find a commuter rail station which would give you good access to the amenities in Denver. It would be an easy commute to your work site. You would have the charm of an older area with nice parks. It is also near Arapahoe Community College with some apartment communities.

You can also look at the Belmar Urban Development which is in Lakewood at Alameda and Wadsworth. This would also be close for community. There are many restaurants and parks that you can easily walk to and it is well served by buses.
The Lakewood municipal complex is across the street with a large park and a library Belmar, a shopping destination Events at Belmar in Colorado Shopping at Belmar in Colorado Dining at Belmar in Colorado APARTMENTS IN BELMAR, HOUSES IN BELMAR, CONDOS IN BELMAR, LIVING IN BELMAR Holidays at Belmar and Christmas at Belmar Green Shoppi Belmar was a site of an old mall which was demolished and a new urban village created. There are some really nice apartment just south of Belmar, within walkable distance, which are less expensive and you would then have the amenities of Belmar without the cost.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver