Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM

14 posts, read 38,038 times

Advertisements

Well my husband returned and loved the area but was surprised to find areas such as Green Mountain are not green at all! He loved Genesee first (trees, space, overall beauty and location-proximity to Denver West offices), Littleton (west near the foothills-great for families but a little further away-Chatfield specifically), and possibly Canyon Point (north of downtown Golden) as he loved downtown Golden. He liked Morrison and Evergreen. I think Evergreen is too far out for me. Thanks everyone for your input! We are looking forward to our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 AM

39 posts, read 92,142 times
I live in Highlands, just above downtown Denver. I cycle in the opposite direction that you would be going in, basically from downtown to Golden. I agree with the poster below. Applewood and Wheat Ridge have great large lots, and some very nice real estate deals to be had. Plus, some of the best street cycling routes - 32nd, 26th, and 20th - lead from these areas in to downtown. The Clear Creek bike trail, which is most below street grade, goes from Golden to the Platte River trail, just a few miles north of downtown. It's more recreational than commuting, but can be used for either purpose.

One additional bonus to keep in mind for the Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada area - besides proximity to downtown and the mountains - is that the two newest light rail lines will open in 2014 in Lakewood (Federal Center) and 2015 through Wheat Ridge and Arvada.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I would suggest directly east of Golden in the Applewood area of Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. Wheat Ridge in that area has many great homes, good shopping, good public transit and an excellent Hospital, Lutheran. This area is also served by one of the best trails, bike paths, and parks, The Wheat Ridge Greenbelt which runs along Clear Creek. This is my favorite trail because has some dense wooden areas, which are rare in Denver. In addition, the Parks along the trail are very large with ball fields, swimming pools and many picnic areas. Also the new large Wheat Ridge Recreation Center is along the trail Wheat Ridge, CO - Official Website - Parks, Fields, and Facilities It is great area for families. You can easily get to Golden by the the Highway or just a simple and relaxing drive down nice roads to Golden--or get on the trail and bike to work.

This map shows only the Wheat Ridge part of the trail but it extends along Clear Creek into Golden, west past Youngfield and east along the Creek, into Adams County, into the Platte River Greenway Trails, north of Denver. You can literally bike for many miles, north of Denver, to South of Denver and on the Bike Trails that extend on connecting routes, Along Cherry Creek, Bear Creek etc.

http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/Docum...w.asp?DID=1050

Clear Creek Trail, Wheat Ridge, Colorado designated National Recreation Trails

I have written much on the Applewood area. It is definitely one the best places to live near Denver.

Livecontent

Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 38,038 times
Thank you for that reply. My husband honestly was not crazy about Applewood due to the older ranch style homes (and we are not obsessed with "new" by any stretch). I found the schools in Wheatfield to be a little hit or miss (moreso for the upper grades) which concerned me. I will have a look at the areas when I visit as I LOVE the idea of biking to downtown Golden and along Clear Creek and love the proximity to just about everything but he really didn't see it as a place he could live. There are similar areas here in Dallas that I would live in in a heartbeat since I live here and know the area but no one from out of town would even consider (they all want new and nice). I bet Applewood is the same....great for people familiar with the area but perhaps not the best first impression. Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDallaswide View Post
Thank you for that reply. My husband honestly was not crazy about Applewood due to the older ranch style homes (and we are not obsessed with "new" by any stretch). I found the schools in Wheatfield to be a little hit or miss (moreso for the upper grades) which concerned me. I will have a look at the areas when I visit as I LOVE the idea of biking to downtown Golden and along Clear Creek and love the proximity to just about everything but he really didn't see it as a place he could live. There are similar areas here in Dallas that I would live in in a heartbeat since I live here and know the area but no one from out of town would even consider (they all want new and nice). I bet Applewood is the same....great for people familiar with the area but perhaps not the best first impression. Thanks again for your feedback.
I want to thank you for getting back to us with your impressions. Most times, we get no reply and it is frustrating when you put some work, with links, in giving information.

I agree with you about first impressions about areas that are do not appeal to outsiders but are wonderful for people who have lived here for years. Maybe it is just like old shoes--it feels comfortable for the owner but is too worn for others; they want brand shoes. I like old with the new; as I age I do not want to be surrounded by all shinning new homes/building/trees--I want them to have the patina of age, as we grow old together.

Actually, I do not want too many new people moving into these hidden great areas. The prices rise for residential/commercial and then the area take on the homogeneous characteristics of too much wealth. We start seeing hi priced extravagant stores/restaurants/shops that drive out more reasonable prices local establishments, that satisfies basic needs.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver