Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 PM

68 posts, read 127,634 times

Advertisements

To be fair all school districts are having budget related issues but yes Douglas County has started to "age" into the problem of many residents having sent their children through the school system no longer wish to support it further through increased taxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Larkspur and perry park had some nice homes, I haven't researched what schools are even around there. I really don't want to go back to greenwood village... too congested now and that's what I am trying to get away from and it's nothing like it was, it's changed so much.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotrep View Post
To be fair all school districts are having budget related issues but yes Douglas County has started to "age" into the problem of many residents having sent their children through the school system no longer wish to support it further through increased taxation.
All school districts are having budget issues but Douglas County voters didn't pass a budget issue the past year so they're struggling a bit more. But you have to keep in mind that once everything shakes out all districts will be hurting more than they are now and when they ask for more money they may get it next time and other districts may fail similar issues. People change and demographics change. Douglas County is still a top district and bus charges are very small compared to how much taxes are already paid. In the 3-4 years before your children are in kindergarten the landscape could be very different. Be very afraid of the water issue though in Douglas County!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
CCSD did pass their last mill levy increase and bond issue. Consequently the district is in much better shape to absorb the downfall. While the district did have to cut its budget, they did so without cutting any teachers. The class sizes will be the same next year. In fact, the best thing is that CCSD is scooping up many of the really good teachers from Douglas who are fleeing the district because of Douglas' budget woes. A lot of the good, young teachers in Douglas are looking to move to CCSD for more stability. This will hurt DougCo in the long run.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
CCSD did pass their last mill levy increase and bond issue. Consequently the district is in much better shape to absorb the downfall. While the district did have to cut its budget, they did so without cutting any teachers. The class sizes will be the same next year. In fact, the best thing is that CCSD is scooping up many of the really good teachers from Douglas who are fleeing the district because of Douglas' budget woes. A lot of the good, young teachers in Douglas are looking to move to CCSD for more stability. This will hurt DougCo in the long run.
Well, there's not really a lot of turnover in CCSD teaching staff, and they are not hiring anyone for the non-existent new positions. They pay pretty well (I found out my child's teacher makes $80k!) so I doubt anyone tenured is looking to leave.

With regards to GV being too crowded, it's crowded everywhere after you leave for a number of years and then come back, things sprawl out and build up to accommodate incoming population booms. But good luck not finding the sprawl east and south of GV. I chose an area of GV with 20-30 year old homes, there are no new developments nearby because it's an established area. I don't experience any traffic until I get closer to downtown.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Well, there's not really a lot of turnover in CCSD teaching staff, and they are not hiring anyone for the non-existent new positions. They pay pretty well (I found out my child's teacher makes $80k!) so I doubt anyone tenured is looking to leave.

With regards to GV being too crowded, it's crowded everywhere after you leave for a number of years and then come back, things sprawl out and build up to accommodate incoming population booms. But good luck not finding the sprawl east and south of GV. I chose an area of GV with 20-30 year old homes, there are no new developments nearby because it's an established area. I don't experience any traffic until I get closer to downtown.
Remember, there are retirements and non-renewals (yes, CCSD does get rid of underperforming teachers). I would estimate that there are going to be about 150-200 new hires district-wide this year.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Remember, there are retirements and non-renewals (yes, CCSD does get rid of underperforming teachers). I would estimate that there are going to be about 150-200 new hires district-wide this year.
Our one small CCSD elementary is seeing three experienced teachers retire this year. Last year, there were two retirements, along with one resignation (out-of-state relocation), and one administrative promotion. I suspect we are going to see at least half-a-dozen more retirements in the next two to three years. So, yeah, Cherry Creek is hiring.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
That's a lot of new hires, then I'm not sure why a lot of people are complaining on this board about lack of teaching jobs.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
That's a lot of new hires, then I'm not sure why a lot of people are complaining on this board about lack of teaching jobs.
Well, the non-renewal of contract applies mainly to non-tenured teachers, and it's not always for underperformance. Sometimes it's b/c of an aniticpated lack of need. (I'm not sure how the new tenure law will affect this, but it's not in effect yet.) A lot of these non-renewed teachers get called back in the fall, at least in Boulder Valley.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
Not sure about gangs at CCHS, but wouldn't doubt it. The school is much too big for a high school. The admnistrators and teachers don't have a clue what is happening at their school. It is simply too big to have any control over. There is no way that 3600 teens can be controlled and monitored by adults every minute of the day. The fact is the students know that they are in control at that school and there aren't enough adults to monitor them. It's a college for young teens...horrible and dangerous combination. The drug problem is significant...kids smoking pot during the school day like it's no big deal, and more serious hard drugs being done by students who most adults would never guess would do such things. Cocaine is rampant. Sex/random hook ups occuring on campus during the school day...the campus is a mini college campus so the kids know there are plenty of places on campus where they can go to do whatever they want. The campus is an open campus meaning everyone from freshmen to seniors can come and go as they please. Bad situation.... The school day starts much too early for a teen at 7:10am. I live near the school and see far too many teens looking like zombies walking to and from school. They look depressed and exhausted. The school needs to get up to date on the research...teens are not getting enough sleep and it is leading to an epidemic of depression, poor eating habits, drug/alcohol use, anxiety, other mental illnesses, and lastly suicide. A yearbook survey found that over 25% of the students are burned out by the end of their senior year and want to take a break and rest instead of going to college or entering the work force. That says it all... burned out by the end of high school???? The teachers have too many students to keep up with and don't have time to contact parents to discuss observations about an individual student or to discuss absences. Teachers wouldn't even notice if a student was absent for weeks at a time or if they did they wouldn't care or take the time to notify the parent. With all that said, sure CCHS is a great school for the academically advanced student who is mature, reponsible, and is a self motivator who is organized and driven. As far as sports go, only the best athletes will have a chance to be on a team in the upper grades (11 and 12th grade). Would not choose this school if you have a choice or if your kid is an exceptional athlete or top level student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver