Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,872,129 times

Advertisements

as a white german who grew up in miami , and miami dade. how is life in des moines? would like to leave miami for a few years to try something new. also is it hard to get a job over there? as i currently am not doing to well in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,529,703 times
What kind of job? What do you want compared? Obviously weather is way different, the populace is way different, etc. May need to be more specific.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
What kind of job? What do you want compared? Obviously weather is way different, the populace is way different, etc. May need to be more specific.

jobs, how hard is it to get a job? unemployment rate things like that, in miami right now its like 1 out of every 11 that applies gets a job or something.
i see housing values are alot cheaper, the poor neighborhoods in miami cost as much as the middle class areas in des moines, are the wages kept low or high over there?

do you need a college degree to get many jobs? or are you good with a hs degree for a while?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,697,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
jobs, how hard is it to get a job? unemployment rate things like that, in miami right now its like 1 out of every 11 that applies gets a job or something.
i see housing values are alot cheaper, the poor neighborhoods in miami cost as much as the middle class areas in des moines, are the wages kept low or high over there?

do you need a college degree to get many jobs? or are you good with a hs degree for a while?
You're asking a LOT of questions that are hard to give answers to.

What kind of job are you looking for?

What are you qualified to do?

Also, you should be looking at the cost of rent - which you are probably doing anyway - because you won't be buying a house right away.

For the most part, the cost of living in the Midwest is lower than in other areas of the country. And for the most part, the economy has seen less of a downturn in this part of the country than in others. So you might be better off living in Des Moines, but it's not going to be Utopia.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM

28 posts, read 107,555 times
Default Long story short

It will be cheaper, whiter, safer and colder. I just read somewhere that the DM area has the lowest job openings to applicant ratios in the country except DC. I actually just moved back here and my bf and I both found jobs pretty easily.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,264,423 times
Will Smith never composed a song about Des Moines.

YouTube - Welcome to Miami Will Smith

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Will Smith never composed a song about Des Moines.

YouTube - Welcome to Miami Will Smith
That could be nothing but good...

Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're asking a LOT of questions that are hard to give answers to.

What kind of job are you looking for? idk construction? how is the pay over there vs cost of living?

What are you qualified to do? not much as i plan on moving after i graduate high school, might get into a CC before i move though

Also, you should be looking at the cost of rent - which you are probably doing anyway - because you won't be buying a house right away.
plan on renting hopefully somewhere near downtown

For the most part, the cost of living in the Midwest is lower than in other areas of the country. And for the most part, the economy has seen less of a downturn in this part of the country than in others. So you might be better off living in Des Moines, but it's not going to be Utopia.
i was looking on gmaps and well i didnt find any dense neighborhoods around downtown, and the suburbs and houses are all big and have huge yards, the suburbs in miami are very dense most houses probably have like 2 feet from each other.

like this, dont knwo how to embed with link to street

556 SW 5th St, Miami, FL,
or
but not as ghetto

NW 2nd Ave / NW 12th St, Miami, FL,

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
i was looking on gmaps and well i didnt find any dense neighborhoods around downtown, and the suburbs and houses are all big and have huge yards, the suburbs in miami are very dense most houses probably have like 2 feet from each other.

like this

Google Maps
I woulkd never live in Miami, period. The quality of life in Des Moines for teh average person is much more rewarding.

I don't think a beach, palm tree, and HOT weather are really worth it's other downfalls. Maybe it's just me.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I woulkd never live in Miami, period. The quality of life in Des Moines for teh average person is much more rewarding.

I don't think a beach, palm tree, and HOT weather are really worth it's other downfalls. Maybe it's just me.
lol why do you think i wanna try something new, my mom and dad moved here from Germany back in the 70's cause of high unemployment and the cold weather over there, the girls are hot n all but, its not worth it, we never go the beach, my mom works all the time to live in a lower middle class neighborhood. and the houses here cost as much as the ones in the rich neighborhoods in des moines.

the hot weather isnt that bad, only in the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines