Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times

Advertisements

From the stats I've found online, it seems like there's two very different Des Moines. Within the city limits looks to be poorer, more affected by crime, and losing population while the western suburbs are much better off, safer, whiter, and growing. Is that about right? Are they two different worlds that don't mix much, like a lot of cities where the suburbs are vastly different from the city they surround? I'd like some insight from someone who lives there since numbers on a web site only tell so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
It is kind of true and not true. While generally the suburbs are more white, have less crime, newer houses, and more income, I wouldn't say it is better.

The city of Des Moines is a bigger city, so there are more neighborhoods. Some areas are middle class, some low class, and some high class. Generally in Des Moines the homes are in older, established neighborhoods.

As for being two different worlds, that all depends. If you went to the east side, down near the fairgrounds, then drove straight over to Clive or West Des Moines, you would see a huge difference. On the east side, you will see older smaller houses, and Chevy Lumina's. In West Des Moines, houses will be fairly new and people will be driving newer Toyota Carolla's. It's not like Cali where in the rich area everyone is driving BMW's and Mercedes. You will see them in DSM, but not as often as here.

Most crime in Des Moines is petty crime, but some areas are bad. You wouldn't go to those places so you wouldn't have to worry. There are some areas in the city of Des Moines where homes are over $500,000 (south of Grand).

Generally, suburbs are newer and more lively, city neighborhoods are older with not a lot going on.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
Oh and to add to that, my buddy makes over $60,000 a year as a programmer. He lives on the east side in a nice house he paid $80,000 for a few years ago.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Thanks. Wow, I can only dream of such an income to house price ratio. Its gotten completely beyond reason out here.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM

65 posts, read 230,214 times
Des Moines and it's suburbs I think are really linked a lot, more than other major cities.

The whole metro area isn't very big at all and so it's still all linked together as one communtiy mostly. It's deffinity not like New York, Chicago, or L.A. where it can take almost a full day to drive through the city.

I know that I drive around the whole Des Moines metro and can get just about anywhere in the whole metro with in twenty minutes, that just shows Des Moines' size. Also I can name just about any road in Des Moines with four lanes (two in both directions).

Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
From the stats I've found online, it seems like there's two very different Des Moines. Within the city limits looks to be poorer, more affected by crime, and losing population while the western suburbs are much better off, safer, whiter, and growing. Is that about right? Are they two different worlds that don't mix much, like a lot of cities where the suburbs are vastly different from the city they surround? I'd like some insight from someone who lives there since numbers on a web site only tell so much.
It's no different than other cities its size...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
Exactly. It's no different than any other American city of a certain size in that respect. However, you shouldn't get the impression that every neighborhood in Des Moines is like that. There are poor areas of the city (the Fairgrounds, Drake), decent working-class neighborhoods (south-side), gentrifying neighborhoods (Ingersoll, Sherman Hill), and old-money upper class neighborhoods (Grand Ave.)

Just like any other place, really.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM

204 posts, read 1,012,902 times
OMG! The snake is finally going to eat itself on this thread.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

204 posts, read 1,012,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
From the stats I've found online, it seems like there's two very different Des Moines. Within the city limits looks to be poorer, more affected by crime, and losing population while the western suburbs are much better off, safer, whiter, and growing.
Hmmmmm. That inference is not the least bit racist.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Hmmmmm. That inference is not the least bit racist.
pointing out a fact is not racist troll. direct correlations between race and crime are real - racist or not, it's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines