Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM

20 posts, read 56,756 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone in Des Moines,

I did this same survey when I opened up an office in another city back East. I even hired a real estate agent to show me around that city and show me what areas were "convenient" to get to. Turns out, and no surprise, he pushed his own listings over any others. Most of the properties he showed me were in terrible locations convenience wise for people to get to. It was quite frustrating. Fortunately I received some great advice from City Data members and went from there. So far so good there.

So now I'm thinking about Des Moines and opening an office. Here is what the agents have told me: AVOID downtown as no one wants to go there. Parking is terrible etc. Go to W. Demoines. Keep it near the 235. Most of my clients are lawyers, financial or political related. I found a place on Court Street right by the Polk Count Courthouse, but only with street parking. But tons of spaces are open all during the day as I sat and watched all day for a few days. Seemed easy to get to though and pretty close to 235.

So I guess my question is, what is a "convenient" place in Des Moines to open an office? Easy for most to get to? And what is a place where they wouldn't want to go? Is West Des Moines better than downtown? Does no one really want to go to downtown? Or specifically by the courthouse? If you were visiting your accountant, would you want them in W. Des Moines or downtown? That's probably the best way to put it.

I appreciate any and all responses. In my experience the Data City community has been great! Thanks in advance. Just trying to learn the city from the outside.
Can't edit title with Des Moines mis spelling. Sorry.

Last edited by mediaz; 08-20-2015 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 02:41 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
I don't know what those people are talking about, downtown Des Moines is thriving and parking is a total non-issue there. If you really have the chance to secure a space ON Court Ave, that's an amazing opportunity. Court District is easily the most happening part of the city, with the possible exception of the East Village.

Des Moines is small and nothing is inconvenient as long as you don't locate in like Carlisle. Downtown is definitely more convenient for way more people than West Des Moines.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
I have a friend in commercial real estate. The agents get paid higher commissions for properties out west vs downtown. I don't understand why, but he says it affects their recommendations all the time which is too bad, because A LOT of people are downtown and/or want to be downtown.

I can give you his name if you'd like. Just PM me.

BTW, most of the big law firms in the metro are downtown, a lot of financial offices too.

Also, about 80% of the best locally owned restaurants are downtown. Housing is booming and the earth is moving today on a 24-hr full service downtown grocery store (something much larger cities would die for in this day and age).

I'm not saying downtown is a slam dunk as I don't know your business, but given your story it sounds like have talked to some lousy, dishonest real estate agents.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:42 PM

I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Here are two spaces I'm looking at. One edge of downtown, one in W. Des Moines. Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...c845d9b12c4171

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...22b9599bd682b6

The one in downtown has only street parking, but seems like a lot of metered parking around that's available all day. Even out front if you get lucky. The one in W. Des Moines has tons of on site parking so no parking issues there. Both seem easy to get to. Though the W. Des Moines office is really close to the 235.

Both sites work for my needs. Downtown space is more expensive by $200/month. Though not make or break, it's still $2400 a year more.

I wouldn't say the agents I dealt with were "shady". I just noticed this trend while dealing with office space and looking for a home, that most agents wanted to show their own listings, or a listing with someone they knew. I think it's common.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I have a friend in commercial real estate. The agents get paid higher commissions for properties out west vs downtown. I don't understand why, but he says it affects their recommendations all the time which is too bad, because A LOT of people are downtown and/or want to be downtown.

I can give you his name if you'd like. Just PM me.

BTW, most of the big law firms in the metro are downtown, a lot of financial offices too.

Also, about 80% of the best locally owned restaurants are downtown. Housing is booming and the earth is moving today on a 24-hr full service downtown grocery store (something much larger cities would die for in this day and age).

I'm not saying downtown is a slam dunk as I don't know your business, but given your story it sounds like have talked to some lousy, dishonest real estate agents.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I vote for downtown, as well.

Another location to scout is Westtown Parkway in W. Des Moines. There are a lot of financial and medical (as well as other professional) offices out that way.

As a client, I would be comfortable going to either office in terms of "convenient location." Places to avoid would be south of downtown, like along Fleur Drive or Army Post Road. It's stop and go traffic for several miles.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:26 PM

That West Des Moines location isn't bad as you're not too far west. Pretty centrally located within the metro. Fairly easy access to I235.

The 100 Court is a great address. Everyone,and I mean everyone, knows Court Avenue and where it is at, so you benefit from awareness of the location. There is a lot of nearby on-street metered parking. The street that runs north-south (Market St), regularly has spots open during the day. The only exception would be the few afternoons there is an afternoon baseball game at nearby Principal Park. Parking really won't be an issue 90% - 95% of the time.

Do you care about amenities around your office? I love working downtown for this reason most. e.g...the downtown location is right off the riverwalk which makes for a nice place to walk to break up your day or sit on a bench and read or people watch. Court Avenue itself is full of restaurants for working lunches and bars for after work drinks. All within walking distance. Also, there are food trucks located throughout downtown. If you need a change of atmosphere to work, there are numerous coffee shops to choose from. I also appreciate that if there are seminars, conferences, or events that come to the metro, there is a better than average chance they are held downtown so it doesn't become a major deal if you want to attend something during the day. Also, there are dentists, barbers/stylists, library, Wal-greens, soon a grocery store, ticket office for events at Civic Ctr and Wells Fargo arena. etc. etc. etc.

The west Des Moines office is typical suburban office park. You'll generally have to jump in your car to do anything beside what your office building itself offers. Maybe this doesn't matter to you and if that is what you're used to, then you won't feel like you're missing out.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Downtown has the high rises and vibrancy of a much larger city. Don't only consider ground level business, there are also businesses in the skywalks. Downtown gets a lot of foot traffic and potential customers you probably won't see in WDM.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice! On a personal level, I love the idea of being downtown, including living near the office. It just makes life so much easier. So that's a huge plus for the Court Ave site. I'm in an odd industry where foot traffic doesn't help me. In fact I like to be very low profile so only my clients know where I'm located.

As far as parking downtown, I do realize there are plenty of lots and the skywalk to connect everything, but my clients run in and out and don't stay long. From personal experience, it's much better to have on site parking or nearby metered parking. Which Court Ave has as well. (metered parking)

I will do a search on this site, but Mediacom may force me to take the West Des Moines site. Their business internet, phones and TV is $450/month. Which is crazy! And while Century Link doesn't have the service I need at Court Ave., they do have service to West Des Moines site and at less than half the price. Much more reasonable.

Now having said that, I know nothing about either company. And I'm sure most will have bad things to say about both. (I have Comcast back East and they are terrible haha!) But does one have a better reputation over the other here in Des Moines? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 AM

I assume most on this forum will only have residential experience with both, so is that even helpful feedback? I have no idea if the companies use separate servicing department for business vs residential. If so, you could be getting feedback about apples when you’re only interested in oranges.

As a general comment about residential, I would say you’ll hear the same complaints about Mediacom that you hear about any cable company anywhere. Just seems to go hand-in-hand.

I personally have Mediacom (residential) and have been fairly pleased. The general comments I hear between the two is that you can’t beat Mediacom’s internet speed but Century might be a little less expensive. I work from home a lot, so internet speed and reliable connectively is important to me.

Hope that is somewhat helpful.

As to your available parking, yes, the West Des Moines location will have on site dedicated parking. If that is your #1 need, that will be tough to compete against with a Court Avenue location. That said, parking is plentiful near your proposed building, it is just metered (there is also a large parking ramp a block away) and if an immediate recognizable address/location is important to you and your clients, the Court Ave location wins hands down.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:57 AM

75 posts, read 107,261 times
The general rule of thumb most businesses tell me is locate where your clients are. If your business is an in and out kind of business, are your clients going to want to drive out of their way to get to you? People like convenience. Pick a location that is convenient for your clients. Easy to find, easy to park, easy to get in, do what they need to do, and get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines