Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times

Advertisements

This just makes me sick. If it was a government institution I see, but a citizen should have the right to choose who they want to live with! Christian, Muslim, Jewish - it shouldn't matter.

Civil Rights Complaint Filed Over Roommate Ad (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25479409/detail.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed& utm_campaign=Feed%3A+clickondetroit%2Flocal+%28Cli ckOnDetroit.com+-+Local+News%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo - broken link)

DETROIT -- A Michigan organization has filed a civil rights complaint against a woman who posted a flier seeking a Christian roommate.

The Fair Housing Center of West Michigan filed the complaint against the 31-year-old Grand Rapids woman, saying she was being discriminatory by excluding people of other faiths when she posted the flier.
The flier reads, "Christian Roommate Wanted" -- along with the woman's contact information -- and was posted on a church bulletin board.
The woman is being represented by an attorney with the Alliance Defense Fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:26 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
This just makes me sick. If it was a government institution I see, but a citizen should have the right to choose who they want to live with! Christian, Muslim, Jewish - it shouldn't matter.

Civil Rights Complaint Filed Over Roommate Ad (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25479409/detail.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed& utm_campaign=Feed%3A+clickondetroit%2Flocal+%28Cli ckOnDetroit.com+-+Local+News%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo - broken link)

DETROIT -- A Michigan organization has filed a civil rights complaint against a woman who posted a flier seeking a Christian roommate.

The Fair Housing Center of West Michigan filed the complaint against the 31-year-old Grand Rapids woman, saying she was being discriminatory by excluding people of other faiths when she posted the flier.
The flier reads, "Christian Roommate Wanted" -- along with the woman's contact information -- and was posted on a church bulletin board.
The way I understand it, all that Fair Housing stuff only applies to housing units of 4 or more, not an individual seeking a roomate.

So what next, a guy asks a girl for a date, she only wants a Christian partner, turns him down, and he sues? Strange world we live in..............

Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 PM

12 posts, read 26,052 times
I wish people would understand the context of what seeking a Christian roommate means....it means she wants to share a dwelling place, (which is a big deal) who shares the same morals, ethics, etc and not someone who is going to bring home people all the time or drug use or whatever else. Saying Christian will start that process of finding someone she'd be compatible with. People are getting WAY too upset about this. I'm sick of the way people have to tip toe over everything nowadays.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
She has a right to advertise for a roommate who shares her personal faith and values, this is America and the last I heard, we still have freedom of the press and freedom of speech. This also opens a very interesting can of worms, namely, what if a woman advertises for a female roommate? Can she be charged with discrimination because she doesn't want to live with a man who is not her husband? The PC police are sure working overtime these days, aren't they?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

449 posts, read 934,235 times
I can't think of anything less Christian that using the term "Christian" to mean a person with values. It insinuates that Christians are good people and others are not. It is about one of the most nasty vicious statements a person can make.

What if someone was a convicted felon, prostitute and drug addict, but Christian? Would that person count? Why not post something like "religious Christian seeks like minded person"?

Nope, I can't think of anything as despicable and insidious as using the term 'Christian" to mean "a good person." And I am frequently a defender of Christians.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
I can't think of anything less Christian that using the term "Christian" to mean a person with values. It insinuates that Christians are good people and others are not. It is about one of the most nasty vicious statements a person can make.

Who said that? Someone said "the same values", which does not mean only they have values. Stop stirring things up that aren't there.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post

Y'know, I ONLY hear about these things in Michigan itself. I am wondering if its just some oddball civil rights group that is located in Michigan, that seems to be off-kilter.

I also wouldn't worry too much about it. I doubt if they have much clout. It would be interesting to research this particular civil rights group, and see what other madness/pecularities they are up to.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Y'know, I ONLY hear about these things in Michigan itself. I am wondering if its just some oddball civil rights group that is located in Michigan, that seems to be off-kilter.

I also wouldn't worry too much about it. I doubt if they have much clout. It would be interesting to research this particular civil rights group, and see what other madness/pecularities they are up to.
I have seen Christians being persecuted more and more everywhere, not just in Michigan. For an increasing number of people, it seems that seeing the word "Christian" is just like waving a red flag in a bull's face. I feel sorry for people who hate someone that much because of their religious preference. It indicates that they are anything but happy with their own life.

If this was about any other ethnic or religious group, it would either be a non-issue or the ACLU would be jumping in with both barrels to defend them.

Last edited by canudigit; 10-25-2010 at 01:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post

What if someone was a convicted felon, prostitute and drug addict, but Christian? Would that person count? Why not post something like "religious Christian seeks like minded person"?

Nope, I can't think of anything as despicable and insidious as using the term 'Christian" to mean "a good person." And I am frequently a defender of Christians.
Personally, all I said was, "someone who shares her values", not "someone wh has values like her, since non-Christians don't have any values". We all have values, every one of us, even Hitler had his own set of values, they just differ from one person to the next. Wanting to share an apartment with or marry someone with similar values as yourself isn't saying that other people don't have values, it's saying that you feel comfortable (as most of us do) sharing your life with people who look at the world in a similar way as you do. None of us go out seeking a friend or spouse who disagrees with our beliefs and lifestyle, because that would be stupid and we would do nothing but fight about it. People have always sought out like-minded people, it's just that most of us don't get attacked and persecuted for doing so.

Last edited by canudigit; 10-25-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 05:23 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Our tax dollars at work!

(According to the Fair Housing Center's website http://www.fhcwm.org/Annual%20Report%202009.pdf: "The FHCWM received approximately $620,000.00 in revenue in 2009. Approximately 44% of the revenue came from a federal grant with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; approximately 22% came from Community Development Block Grant contracts with the County of Kent and the Cities of Grand Rapids, Wyoming and Holland; and approximately 8% came from a grant under the Kent County Senior Millage.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit